Nursing School - UT or OU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
    The nursing part really shouldn't matter. No hospital cares where you received BSN at. Her effort/commitment will determine how well she does. Nursing school can be tough, if not focused. I personally would look at price. No point in being 70,000 in debt for a nursing degree. For the record, I went to 2yr associate program(Angelina jr collegr), then worked full time as RN while getting my BSN(SFA). I then went to Texas tech for my NP. I worked as a nurse for 11.5yrs before getting my NP.
    I had colleagues over the years that were heavily in debt for nursing degree, and we get paid the same. I think most all the programs are good, everyone passes same state test. Other than cost, look at other factors that could be distractions or benefit to her staying on task.

This. Unless you are wanting to pay for the experience, there are great nursing schools for a fraction of the cost. My sister in law studied at our local university, she is now a nurse practitioner and makes some serious money with no debt!

But at the end of the day its your little girl and I know there's not a chance I would stop her dream if it were to go to one of those schools.
    Last edited by Tumbler; 02-19-2018, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Daughter went to UT San Antonio for nursing and was hired before she even graduated for a trauma ICU position in Austin.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbler View Post
        This. Unless you are wanting to pay for the experience, there are great nursing schools for a fraction of the cost. My sister in law studied at our local university, she is now a nurse practitioner and makes some serious money with no debt!

But at the end of the day its your little girl and I know there's not a chance I would stop her dream if it were to go to one of those schools.

I agree with the 2 above statements with a little bit of discrepancy....Though I agree, don't stop her dream, I think it's your job as a parent to guide her. As stated above, TONS of cheaper schools offer the same thing and she can get the same job paying the same wage. If her dream is to go to UT or OU regardless, and she is planning on paying cash...the by all means.

But if she wants to go to UT or OU but has to take out tons of school loans to do so....that's where your guidance comes in.

It's a simple question...Would you rather be a 22 year old with:

1. A nursing degree, $45+ thousand in debt, making $25-30 an hour OR
        2. A nursing degree, $0 debt, making $25-30 an hour

Comment

Neither... I went to community college then finished my BSN online. I make as much as a good buddy of mine except he went to Duke and is $100k into student loans. My HCA hospital I worked for paid for 100% of my associates and bachelors degree.

Cheapest school possible is my answer. No one cares where you went to school as long as you are licensed to practice in TX. Most of the medical profession doesnt care where you got your degree from including doctors. Our chief nursing officer has her MBA from University of Phoenix

Comment

FYI...Both of my twin sons are graduating seniors at UT but they are Business School (Finance) majors. They have two really close friends who are nursing majors and had multiple career opportunities upon graduation. As someone said it earlier, the UT Nursing school is widely respected across the country but it all boils down to hard work and making the grades. They also have a feeder program into the Texas Medical Center for internships and future employment. Both are very good schools but if she has plans on living in Texas...UT would be hard to pass up.

Congrats on her even having the choice and Good luck!

Comment

If any of the actual nursing education is done in the new Dell Medical center at UT I would go that route. They poured a ton of money into that building I can guarantee its a nicer facility than anything OU will have available to students.

All that being said, Hook Em!

Comment

I know many people who were offered jobs before graduation that went to small collieges as well as big universities. There is a nursing shortage, which helps guarantee jobs. Now, some areas can become saturated and therefore new grads or associate degree RN can have done difficultiy.
                I lived in Austin, work within ST. Davids health system. Austin is low paying compared to Houston or Dallas areas, with high cost of living. I cannot think of a career opertunity that Austin offers that could not be achieved elsewhere.

I did not have the "college experience". I lived at home, paid tuition as I went and graduated with no debt, until my NP degree. That debt was minimal and gone within 1.5 yrs. I can't stress enough that many people are in debt over a nursing degree that can be had for way less. My friend were paying high student loans, that were eating their checks or needing overtime. austin has expensive living, so that made it worse.
                If she got scholarships that will help, keeping overall total down, and she can get the "experience" as well as degree for about the same, then okay. But don't let anyone mislead you into thinking what college you graduated from matters in the nursing field.
                Last edited by JasonS; 02-19-2018, 09:58 AM. Reason: Missing info

Comment

If she wanted to go further, like masters/doctorate in nursing, NP, education or administrative, then going to college that offers these programs can be beneficial. Preference is sometimes given to previous students. If her grads are good/high, and work experience in field is appropriate, then she'll get in reguardless.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                    The nursing part really shouldn't matter. No hospital cares where you received BSN at. Her effort/commitment will determine how well she does. Nursing school can be tough, if not focused. I personally would look at price. No point in being 70,000 in debt for a nursing degree. For the record, I went to 2yr associate program(Angelina jr collegr), then worked full time as RN while getting my BSN(SFA). I then went to Texas tech for my NP. I worked as a nurse for 11.5yrs before getting my NP.
                    I had colleagues over the years that were heavily in debt for nursing degree, and we get paid the same. I think most all the programs are good, everyone passes same state test. Other than cost, look at other factors that could be distractions or benefit to her staying on task.
                    True. My wife is a pediatric NP, she went to UT and got her MSN there. She hated it. Yes, look at price, and avoid student loans like the plague. You'll end up spending the rest of your life paying $800 a month paying off $100,000 in student loans, which will cancel out the career benefits you studied for in the first place.

As far as the nursing school, she hated it. The professors were prima donnas; the focus is on nursing theory, not the hands-on training you need. Like, she had to write a 20 page paper on "concept analysis." Learned Piaget's Stages of Development 25 times. As some students said, "they teach everything EXCEPT nursing."

She must have written a HUNDRED "Nursing Care Plans," which you never, never do in real life. All the assigned readings are on "Blackboard," the online university system. So a professor would assign 100 pages of reading for Monday, and wouldn't put it online until 10 p.m. Sunday night. Things like that. And when students complained, the professor would just laugh. Many, many times I saw her sitting at her desk studying and crying at the same time. I tried to be supportive, helping her with housecleaning, cooking, etc. but it was a horrible experience for both of us.

And then you have the issue of trying to find a good nursing job that won't make you go home in tears every day. Good luck with that one.

Comment

School is very hard. There is lots of studying and projects. I used a few different online based programs. We all do care plans, even in 2004, they suck. In the end, nursing school teaches you not to "kill people" your first days. the real learning is while working. I have yet, to hear of a good clinic focused program. Having good clinical experience will not help with getting a job, but will help when you get the job. I think the first year working is rough, point blank. I have precepted new grads, and the preceptor can make all the difference. Learning should be fun, but requires work.
                      I think in general, females handle stress differently, and therefore cry. Guys tend to get angry, closed off, cuss, ect. Point being, its an emotional outlet and can be good to get it out.

Maybe look at class sizes once she gets into the actual nursing. Large classes could have less support from instructors. The whole goal is to go through once, keep cost cost down. Things that improve her chances: good family support, instructor availability, less distractions, structure/schedule. I'm sure there are more, you get the idea.

Have her shadow nurses in different departments, for their entire shift, 12 hours if possible. Make sure she knows what she is getting into. I like my career, fell into and it has been great, self fulfilling.

If you have any questions, you can PM me, ill give you my number. Maybe I can help more with specific questions, thoughts.

Comment

has she looked at angelo state? There nursing program is top notch.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                          UT nursing is one of the top programs in the country. Would be an easy choice for me.

Also I would think UT has a lot more connections for when she graduates in the Houston medical center area. Find out about when they graduate what their career center offers.
                          Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          I wouldn’t let my children live in Oklahoma, but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Both of these

My sister did nursing through UT and had no issue in finding a job out of school, she's relocated 3 times and all 3 times resulted in a pay raise. She's now down in houston.

No real correlation but I would expect UT to offer more connections to post grad if she plans to work in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
                            has she looked at angelo state? There nursing program is top notch.
                            Yup, son graduated from ASU in nursing. Very good program.

Comment

They're both obviously brand-name schools (although IMO the UT brand is more esteemed in lots of places). One big difference is likely to be the alumni network.

OU, she'll have lots of connections in Oklahoma, North Texas, and some of the states bordering Okie - Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri. UT, she'll have lots of connections throughout Texas, not just North Texas. And obviously some brand/name recognition beyond that.

My own experience living out of state is that I think most people outside of Texas and internationally consider UT to be a bit better than OU, academically. I don't mean to hate on OU - one of my very close friends is a Sooner, and it's a fine university. BUT academically it doesn't quite have the cachet that UT does in most places.
                              Last edited by Ryan-in-SA1; 02-19-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Did she get accepted to the school or to the nursing program itself? Meaning are all her pre-reqs done and TEAS/HESI/whatever entrance exam they use done and she's starting nursing classes or ? I don't have anything to offer about either school but I can offer some general advice.

I'd love to offer my $.02 about RN school/career as well....
                                Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 02-19-2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X