Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 02-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #5551
TxTyler
Six Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Williamson, and Crockett County

I am.out right now. I was on to.a group of probably 20. Had a great shot opp but my sleeve popped my string and ended up shooting low. Dang it!
TxTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #5552
Neano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Trickham and Granger Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod888 View Post
Anyone heading out today?? Should be a good day with it overcast and breezy
I may head out there in an hour or so. You going?
Neano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #5553
Comehere deer
Four Point

Hunt In: Granger / Luminent / Summerville

Carnage is hot two hogs in less than two weeks awesome, not to mention between Crod 888 and Carnage that is **** near 500 lbs of pork WOW
Comehere deer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #5554
crod888
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can, primarily Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neano View Post
I may head out there in an hour or so. You going?
PM sent
crod888 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #5555
Neano
Ten Point

There are two helicopters flying all over this place right now. One looks like an Ultra Light or something. Seemed to be flying a little low, but maybe it was just me.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #5556
crod888
Ten Point

Quote:
There are two helicopters flying all over this place right now. One looks like an Ultra Light or something. Seemed to be flying a little low, but maybe it was just me.
Any gun shots?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #5557
crod888
Ten Point

If it's the helo hunt they typical have closed signs posted at each parking Area
Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #5558
joey
Four Point

Im down to go
joey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #5559
Neano
Ten Point

Quote:
Any gun shots?
No gun shots. Don't think it was the helo hunt. Maybe just a survey ? Or maybe just joyriding around. I've haven't seen anything yet, but ran into two seperate hunters who have so far this morning.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #5560
crod888
Ten Point

Quote:
No gun shots. Don't think it was the helo hunt. Maybe just a survey ? Or maybe just joyriding around. I've haven't seen anything yet, but ran into two seperate hunters who have so far this morning.
PM sent
Old 02-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #5561
jackster1978
Spike

Just got home. Parked at 6 and walked to 7 and back. Saw hogs but no shots, was fun though. Plan on going out Sunday morning. Should be my son and i and another buddy at least in the group. Will try to be at 6 by 0700. Come join the fun.
jackster1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #5562
TXUSNAVYCHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 20 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

when the helo hunt is being conducted it is always on a weekday, less hunters, less safety issues for them...has always been like that, i am assuming the helo hunt is prob going to go down next week and they just conducting a survey to see how the area looks this year and how much ammo to bring, i may go post up and get some free pork, just have to be in the vicinity of where there shooting, 3 years ago my friend was at taylor park boat ramp when the helo flew over them and started blasting behind that bathroom by the boat ramp, they picked up 6 hogs of which 3 were still alive so had to knife them, 150 yard drag to the road and in the truck, free bbq.
TXUSNAVYCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #5563
TXUSNAVYCHIEF
Ten Point

Quote:
survey being conducted for next week, this is how it starts, i guarantee there going to be flying and killing next week, whichever day isn't the windiest, they usually fly 2 days and kill 3 hundred or so then they x2 the final tally to make themselves look better....
Old 02-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #5564
The General
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Blanco, Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
survey being conducted for next week, this is how it starts, i guarantee there going to be flying and killing next week, whichever day isn't the windiest, they usually fly 2 days and kill 3 hundred or so then they x2 the final tally to make themselves look better....
I imagine in puts a scare in the remaining hogs for a few weeks and then goes back to normal, right?
The General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #5565
TXUSNAVYCHIEF
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
I imagine in puts a scare in the remaining hogs for a few weeks and then goes back to normal, right?
people were still killing them after the helo hunt last year, i just hate seeing them floating in the river, good for catfish....and the buzzards....i am estimating that there are over 2,000 feral hogs on granger and surrounding properties, maybe more, and the helo every year kills around 10 or 15% of them, just my estimation...
Old 02-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #5566
TXUSNAVYCHIEF
Ten Point

sows on granger usually produce 2 litters a year, we should start finding nests and babies soon..feb-mar, is when we usually catch them from the sow, she will run out of a briar patch usually by her self and hesitate just a little about leaving them behind, that's when u look for the piglets.....they will not protect their babies from people on granger she will flee and just have another litter. i tried to put piglets in my cargo pant pockets one year to get the pigs to come after me, after i took a step each piglet would squeal. didn't work...
Old 02-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #5567
crod888
Ten Point

Anyone remember the dates they heli shot last year??? Seems like they are getting smarter and doing it earlier cause its less green.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #5568
TXUSNAVYCHIEF
Ten Point

i think it was the first or second week in feb..........maybe we go back look at posts from feb last year...
Old 02-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #5569
TXUSNAVYCHIEF
Ten Point

helo flew last year on 22 feb, i looked at last years posts....
Old 02-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #5570
crod888
Ten Point

I saw a picture of the help taken on the 26th. So somewhere in that span.
When was ranger hunt??
Old 02-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #5571
crod888
Ten Point

Looked it up. Ranger hunt was 15-17yh last year. Should make for a little more challenging ranger hunt if they shoot next week

Does anyone know or been on a heli hunt? Do they bother to hunt and shoot into wooded areas?? How do they get the pigs to the fields?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #5572
wilcohunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Looked it up. Ranger hunt was 15-17yh last year. Should make for a little more challenging ranger hunt if they shoot next week

Does anyone know or been on a heli hunt? Do they bother to hunt and shoot into wooded areas?? How do they get the pigs to the fields?
They turn on a siren most of the time and fly low of the thick stuff and pretty much herd them to the fields so they have an open shot. I hate to see all that pork wasted...might have to take the boat out next week. A few years ago they flew the day it snowed out there I have never heard so many shots on my life. blasted the pc and around 7
wilcohunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #5573
joey
Four Point

Going tomorrow in the morning if anyone is up to go hopefully we get rain so stalking them won't be so load.
joey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #5574
Sneaky
Ten Point

Hunt In: Caldwell, Hamilton, Milam, Williamson, Bastrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
Going tomorrow in the morning if anyone is up to go hopefully we get rain so stalking them won't be so load.
NavyChief and I will be out tomorrow morning most likely. I'll PM you if it comes together and we can join forces.

Sorry I couldn't make it this morning, Chris. I had brunch commitments with the wifey I forgot about.
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #5575
TxTyler
Six Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Williamson, and Crockett County

Yeah the helis circled the prim camp a few times. One got pretty low, but I think it was just people joy riding. It almost seemed like they were joy riding, but also looking to see if anyone was camping. They circled one area a few times. Maybe they were trying to hint at pigs in that area, but who knows... They definitely weren't shooting. One was an open style. It had to be cold with the wind in that chopper!
TxTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2014, 12:33 AM   #5576
NightStalker
Four Point

Carnage! Contributes to the blood on the thread! Nice sized pig too. TPWD may not need the heli hunt if the Thread Brothers keep this up.

How far did you have to track it?
NightStalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2014, 02:05 AM   #5577
CARNAGE68
Four Point

Hunt In: Granger PHL, Luminant WMA, Somerville PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalker View Post
Carnage! Contributes to the blood on the thread! Nice sized pig too. TPWD may not need the heli hunt if the Thread Brothers keep this up.

How far did you have to track it?
It ran about 80 yards. When I saw the blood on the grass I looked ahead and saw movement, 30 yards away there it was. I watched him for about 30 seconds before he died.
CARNAGE68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #5578
jackster1978
Spike

Heading out to granger for a cold morning. Probably park at 6 and begin the wandering. There is 3 of us so far. Anyonne want to join up is welcome. My radio will be on channel 1.
Greg.
jackster1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #5579
freebee
Spike

Good Luck... Looks like a North wind !
freebee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #5580
PigAddiction
Four Point

Hunt In: Granger, Luminant, At home

Quote:
sows on granger usually produce 2 litters a year, we should start finding nests and babies soon..feb-mar, is when we usually catch them from the sow, she will run out of a briar patch usually by her self and hesitate just a little about leaving them behind, that's when u look for the piglets.....they will not protect their babies from people on granger she will flee and just have another litter. i tried to put piglets in my cargo pant pockets one year to get the pigs to come after me, after i took a step each piglet would squeal. didn't work...
That sounds pretty fun. I wouldn't mind catching a bunch and feeding them out.
PigAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #5581
jkuroski1973
Six Point

Hunt In: Granger WMA

Was out this morning. Hog crossed the drive half way down to 7 from west to east when I was walking in. Only one I saw today. Brrr need hot coffee. Anyone else having any luck? Heard some chatter on channel 4.
jkuroski1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #5582
Sneaky
Ten Point

NavyChief and I were out today hitting some sweet spots and saw well over 40 hogs today.

I'll let him write up the story, but I will say that I found my big boar I shot a few week ago. Lemme go find the original post...

Last edited by Sneaky; 02-02-2014 at 03:24 PM..
Old 02-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #5583
Sneaky
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
Went out this afternoon and met up with Dave and Tommy for a little hog driving action. We found two very large black hogs, of which the larger one was every bit of 250lbs. - just a freakin' wall of meat. While Dave was trying to push them out of the thick cover, I saw them start to appear and I dropped to my knees, used a large tree for cover, and drew back. It took about a minute for them to give me a clear shot, and when they did, I settled my third pin a bit high for what I estimated was a 35 yard shot, and watched as the orange nock of my arrow arced and seemingly vanished into the black mass. The hogs took off in a sprint, and I too broke into a full sprint to hopefully turn them back toward Tommy and Dave. I had to slow down a bit to nock a second arrow and they took that opportunity to get ahead of me and make their escape from the peninsula. Unfortunately there was no recovery since much of their retreat was in a few inches of standing water (no blood trail) and I believe my arrow stuck in the pig and was then broke off during the run. It was still a good time though, and my brethren in arms were first rate company.

I also met Pig Addiction in the parking lot - nice guy!

If anyone finds a really large black boar dead anywhere near 6, please let me know so I can recover the skull to make a mount of it. The entry would would be on the hogs right side, and it might have an Easton Carbon Aftermath arrow and/or a Slick Trick in it.

Thanks, good luck, and KAP!
I found this boar today! He's a brute, and probably weighed around 200 when he was alive. His color, stage of decomposition and wound location are a perfect match of what I saw/shot. The "disappearing of the nock" matches the pass-through wound on this boar perfectly also. Though yes, there's no way to know *for sure*, I'm totally convinced and stoked. I'm just gonna let the carcass rot away a bit more before I collect it, because hot diggity, does it ever reek! But the cutters are big and it will make an excellent skull mount.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #5584
TXUSNAVYCHIEF
Ten Point

Sneaky and I started out early daylight this cold rainy morning and 400 yards into our hunt we were in the pigs big time 30 or so that we were able to walk right up on.....but no shots presented and they took off towards the river I called sneaky on the radio to run and try to get ahead of them to cut off possibly..... No they just got ahead of us still on our side of the river, so we did another push and they ran right from sneaky to me but in the thickest stuff and still no shot and I said to myself three going to swim I ran to the top of the bluff just to see them about half way across the river already there was prob thirty or so big ones and small in a diamond shape swimming fast so I guessed ok there around 40 yds and I put my 40 pin in the middle of the swimming group and shot again as they exited the river bluff on the other side big sow I guessed was at 60 yds and I shot just under her into the muddy bluff and then I noticed the last pig that had trouble getting out of the river with arrow attached 25 pound sow bbq size

Last edited by TXUSNAVYCHIEF; 02-02-2014 at 04:10 PM..
Old 02-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #5585
jkuroski1973
Six Point

40 and 60 yards shots across a river at pigs you have no possibility of retrieving seems unethical and not very safe either.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #5586
TXUSNAVYCHIEF
Ten Point

IMG_4475.jpg
Old 02-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #5587
Sneaky
Ten Point

Quote:
IMG_4475.jpg
Bam! Doesn't get much more ethical than crossing a river on a cold, windy day to retrieve a smaller pig. Good BBQ's a comin'!
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #5588
TXUSNAVYCHIEF
Ten Point

I am not an ethical hog hunter jimmy.....lol i shoot my arrows when i see hog hair whether they are hit in the ham guts or face it will slow them down for my knife. no possibility of retrieving ok
Old 02-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #5589
RACK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas,Midwest,High Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
SMH .... This thread ruined granger
Yup ! on so many levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
40 and 60 yards shots across a river at pigs you have no possibility of retrieving seems unethical and not very safe either.
Did you really just mix ethics and hunting granger hogs in the same sentence?
Thats hysterical !

At least you put down that crossbow i guess ...smh

Quote:
Sneaky and I started out early daylight this cold rainy morning and 400 yards into our hunt we were in the pigs big time 30 or so that we were able to walk right up on.....but no shots presented and they took off towards the river I called sneaky on the radio to run and try to get ahead of them to cut off possibly..... No they just got ahead of us still on our side of the river, so we did another push and they ran right from sneaky to me but in the thickest stuff and still no shot and I said to myself three going to swim I ran to the top of the bluff just to see them about half way across the river already there was prob thirty or so big ones and small in a diamond shape swimming fast so I guessed ok there around 40 yds and I put my 40 pin in the middle of the swimming group and shot again as they exited the river bluff on the other side big sow I guessed was at 60 yds and I shot just under her into the muddy bluff and then I noticed the last pig that had trouble getting out of the river with arrow attached 25 pound sow bbq size
Nice one Chief ! I texted you earlier ! Come on over and hitch up the pit and cook that joker up for them girls ! Nice eater my man !

Last edited by RACK; 02-02-2014 at 04:47 PM..
RACK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #5590
jkuroski1973
Six Point

Quote:
Bam! Doesn't get much more ethical than crossing a river on a cold, windy day to retrieve a smaller pig. Good BBQ's a comin'!
He's not even wet and parked at steps, so he had to cross anyway! Not like he swam for it. Glad you got the pig, but still not very safe. I was on the other side of that river. I don't know about Williamson county, but it is illegal to shoot across water in several counties in TX.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #5591
Sneaky
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACK View Post
Did you really just mix ethics and hunting granger hogs in the same sentence?
Thats hysterical !
Old 02-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #5592
TXUSNAVYCHIEF
Ten Point

It's because i'm 6'5 and walk on water. rookie jimmy
Old 02-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #5593
Comehere deer
Four Point

Hunt In: Granger / Luminent / Summerville

Quote:
Sneaky and Chief great job, just got a call from Carnage and he is at it again I will keep you posted.
Comehere deer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #5594
Sneaky
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comehere deer View Post
Sneaky and Chief great job, just got a call from Carnage and he is at it again I will keep you posted.
Carnage puts us all to shame!

Oh, and I just called the WilCo GW, who confirmed that there is no issue at all with shooting a hog with your bow while its in the river.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #5595
jkuroski1973
Six Point

Quote:
It's because i'm 6'5 and walk on water. rookie jimmy
I may be a rookie, but I'm stacking up the hog kills at a pretty good rate.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #5596
Birddog66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas Co., Granger wma

Good job David!

Whats ethical about shooting hogs by the hundreds out of a helo and letting them lay on the fields to rot?
Birddog66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #5597
Sneaky
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog66 View Post
Good job David!

Whats ethical about shooting hogs by the hundreds out of a helo and letting them lay on the fields to rot?
We need to be waiting for the moment the helo hunt ends to collect meat and finish off the injured ones. It will be like meaty Easter!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #5598
jkuroski1973
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog66 View Post
Good job David!

Nothing! Never said it was. But noone is going to take us seriouly if we keep posting about all the stuck/ lost pigs. (Not yours David obviously)

Last edited by jkuroski1973; 02-02-2014 at 05:38 PM..
Old 02-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #5599
jkuroski1973
Six Point

Quote:
If you are going to hide behind your "I'm harrassing you" claim, then don't comment on the conversations I start.

Quote:

Last edited by jkuroski1973; 02-02-2014 at 05:39 PM..
Old 02-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #5600
TXUSNAVYCHIEF
Ten Point

Quote:
Keep up the hog killing....good job ...you sir are not allowed to shoot them in the river...