Pop Up Platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by down2hunt View Post
    Yes, I have 3 supporting 2x4's. It is actually quite sturdy. I was worried I may need to add some more supports, but I think I'll just leave it.

I went with the cheap materials since this is my first one. I was going to go for 4', then 3', but settled on 2.5'. I'm concerned with shorter shots and would rather err on the side of caution.

Materials:

1 - 4x8 OSB = $8
    6 - 2x4x10 = $24.78
    After tax = $33.44

I think I'm really going to like this set up I just need to figure out the right height. Once I do I may build a more heavy duty one.
    Screw it together or nail it? Does it squeak when you shift around on it?

Comment

Originally posted by rkersh409 View Post
      Down2hunt are you going to put something over that OSB? If not I hope you dont get much rain.
      I am covering the osb with indoor/outdoor carpet. You will notice that only about an inch of the platform sticks out from the blind, so it shouldn't be exposed to too much water. Also, if you read above, I intentionally made this one cheap, because I'm not 100% sure on the height. When I make another one I plan to use treated lumber.

Originally posted by bowhuntvideo View Post
      Screw it together or nail it? Does it squeak when you shift around on it?
      3" screws. No squeaking, it is very solid. I may add some insulation to the bottom of the osb just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by cazador0506 View Post
        Like Damon I secured the blind to the platform. I had no issues with it moving during its five months of sitting. I used 4 pieces of cable clamped and secured around the eyes that are centered on each side of the double bull and then secured the other end to a turn buckle attached to an eye bolt through the frame of the platform.

Not the best pic but you can get an idea.
        I noticed your brackets are not the Shadow Elevators commonly seen. Where did you get them? They look stronger than the Shadow Elevators. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by down2hunt View Post
          Yes, I have 3 supporting 2x4's. It is actually quite sturdy. I was worried I may need to add some more supports, but I think I'll just leave it.

I went with the cheap materials since this is my first one. I was going to go for 4', then 3', but settled on 2.5'. I'm concerned with shorter shots and would rather err on the side of caution.

Materials:

1 - 4x8 OSB = $8
          6 - 2x4x10 = $24.78
          After tax = $33.44

I think I'm really going to like this set up I just need to figure out the right height. Once I do I may build a more heavy duty one.
          Put some primer and paint on that thing It will make it last much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
            I noticed your brackets are not the Shadow Elevators commonly seen. Where did you get them? They look stronger than the Shadow Elevators. Thanks.
            Rockin G, here is where I got them.

Comment

Fixing to start on a platform for next season.
              Now that this season has started does anyone have any new suggestions?

Comment

I'm EXTREMELY happy with mine. I picked up a 6'x6' rubber exercise mat cheap and used it like carpet padding with carpet on top. It's quiet and comfy. I feel like I'm sitting in a hotel room overlooking my feeder.

Comment

nice!

Comment

I'd say to put insulation under the decking then cover it all with a piece of plywood. We have something similar to that and if you don't fill in the framing with something it will be covered with hornet/wasp nests. Even had black widow webs under it one time. It does help the noise too but you will still need some carpet to make it even more quite.

Comment

Nice work. Looks great

Comment

Originally posted by muddydog View Post
                        thats a good idea! I keep waiting for a rattlesnake to come crawling under mine. I also hate having to peek under everthing before getting in it on those cool early mornings before they den up. Even then, i think the popup blind is one of the best hunting tools to come along in many years!
                        totally agree. To keep all bugs and spiders out i use mothballs. It works wonders. Yes i know you gotta smell mothballs but the scorpions, spiders, and everything else will leave. Deer seem unaffected by them.

Comment

Cool thread. Just bought me a popup...

Need some wood now

Comment

I need to build one of these. It seems like no one is having issues with wind?

Comment

like it

Comment

This is my finished product. Love it!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X