• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
    22-250 ear hole em all.

LOL..

300 winnie is just hard to beat period.

30-06 would also be tough to beat although it gets no love nowadays.
    It's just not cool to say 30-06 anymore .

Comment

The .22 cal guys make me scratch my head. I don’t think anyone here would argue that a .22 to the brain will kill anything walking the earth.

However, if I’m on a 7 day grizzly hunt that cost me $20K+ to go on, I want a weapon that is going to give me the best opportunity to kill him if given the opportunity. I’m not passing up a good shot opportunity because I can only shoot him in the ear or no where at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
        I have been there as well and I do agree bears are soft for the most part. Soft from the side when you are hunting them. A brown bear up close head on and maybe a .270 is not the best gun at that moment!
        With the right bullet selection it’s still no issue. Most people forget the bullet construction matters way more than the caliber

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          With the right bullet selection it’s still no issue. Most people forget the bullet construction matters way more than the caliber
          Yep.
          I would take a Barnes or similar out of a 270 over a core lokt out of a 300 any day.
          Generally speaking though, nowadays good bullets are a dime a dozen.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            Yeah, I don’t remember any prairie dogs in their books .
            I'm pretty sure a .577 NE round weighs more than a prairie dog .
            LOL. For sure

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Shooting livestock that you hand feed is not really an apt comparison to killing a wild elk at 250 yds....let alone a brown bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Yeah because I said that it is a good comparison... I was just making a point that a bullet put it the right spot will kill.

Forums sometimes wear me out..

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                The .22 cal guys make me scratch my head. I don’t think anyone here would argue that a .22 to the brain will kill anything walking the earth.

However, if I’m on a 7 day grizzly hunt that cost me $20K+ to go on, I want a weapon that is going to give me the best opportunity to kill him if given the opportunity. I’m not passing up a good shot opportunity because I can only shoot him in the ear or no where at all.
                Did you read any of the thread? See any of the pictures?

Not saying I would take a 223 on a hunt like that but I mean seriously, people kill elk with recurves... The North American bison was almost wiped out with far lesser equipment than what we have now. The Indians used to hunt them with primitive bows.

Comment

Originally posted by rfroese View Post
                  Did you read any of the thread? See any of the pictures?

Not saying I would take a 223 on a hunt like that but I mean seriously, people kill elk with recurves... The North American bison was almost wiped out with far lesser equipment than what we have now. The Indians used to hunt them with primitive bows.
                  They hunted with primitive bows because that’s all they had available to them. What percentage of those bison shot do you think were one shot ethical kills?

My point is, with everything available today, if you had to choose ONE gun to hunt any animal in NA that you might get an opportunity to hunt... why not choose one that would give you the highest rate of success?

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                    They hunted with primitive bows because that’s all they had available to them. What percentage of those bison shot do you think were one shot ethical kills?

My point is, with everything available today, if you had to choose ONE gun to hunt any animal in NA that you might get an opportunity to hunt... why not choose one that would give you the highest rate of success?
                    Would you say people who hunt with recurves are unethical then? I hunt with a compound bow now, much lower rate of success than a 223. Does that make me unethical?

If ones success rate with a 223 is 100% then is it even possible to have a higher rate of success?

I believe shot placement and bullet design matters far more than caliber does. I have met plenty of people who buy a 30-06 and can’t shoot it for crap because they are recoil shy. I think that causes far more unethical shots and unrecovered animals than someone using a smaller caliber. For the record, my success rate hunting whitetail with my 223 is 100%. Never lost an animal I have shot with it. I actually have lost a boat I shot in the shoulder with a 270. Ran off on it’s hind legs and it’s front legs drug on the ground. No blood trail either.

Comment

Forums sometimes wear me out..

I can see why...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        I can see why...

Because people always try to “put words in your mouth?”

You would think on a forum where you can actually read what people say that there wouldn’t be so much of that going on.

Comment

My .270 is my go to gun. Probably wouldn’t be the best choice for elk, but I would be confident in it.

Comment

Still amazes me how many folks don’t know the difference between caliber and chambering!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              Still amazes me how many folks don’t know the difference between caliber and chambering!
                              You trying say the difference between caliber and cartridge? Most people just use the word caliber. Guess it’s kind of like the clip vs magazine debate.

Comment

You trying say the difference between caliber and cartridge? Most people just use the word caliber. Guess it’s kind of like the clip vs magazine debate.

I’m just saying a 30 carbine and 300 RUM are the same caliber but hardly share the same application.

Comment

Working...
                                X