Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Panhandle Hunting Thread (7th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats, Aggiehunter!

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
      Connected with one of my target bucks yesterday evening. Deer moved really good before the front yesterday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Well done, sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
        If a guy is wanting to rattle and kill a buck with a bow, the odds will be much improved by hunting with a buddy. Buddy rattles from a concealed position while hunter sits around 50 yards downwind, using a setup where the buck should approach from a known direction and have expected travel lane.
        Makes sense.

Comment

Thanks guys. Y’all punch a tag now.

Comment

was sitting in a tree row yesterday evening over some hand corn. New set up for this year. I’ve just been trying to throw a little corn out when I have a chance. Didn’t in 100 years expect to see our target buck there. He just showed up all the sudden with about 15 minutes of legal light left. About 5 minutes later when he finally gave me an opportunity... I missed... it was getting just dark enough in the trees that I had a slight amount of trouble and I rushed the shot.

Luckily I think he had no idea what happended. He took two big leaps, looked both ways, and slowly walked off.

I’m sick

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE-Z View Post
              was sitting in a tree row yesterday evening over some hand corn. New set up for this year. I’ve just been trying to throw a little corn out when I have a chance. Didn’t in 100 years expect to see our target buck there. He just showed up all the sudden with about 15 minutes of legal light left. About 5 minutes later when he finally gave me an opportunity... I missed... it was getting just dark enough in the trees that I had a slight amount of trouble and I rushed the shot.

Luckily I think he had no idea what happended. He took two big leaps, looked both ways, and slowly walked off.

I’m sick
              That's bowhunting. Go get redemption!

Also if anyone needs a panhandle buck cape let me know.

Comment

I spent the weekend in Red River NM fly fishing instead of down here fighting mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are as bad as I have seen in a pretty good while. Still a little early for me to get fired up about deer.

Nice buck Aggiehunter. Obviously not too early for you!

I think I may change up my approach to rattling some this year, using some of the things from this thread and some other conversations I've had. Probably I am trying to make it too much like coyote calling and trying to pull them too far.

Gonna be chilly again this Friday I think. Maybe that will help with deer movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                  I spent the weekend in Red River NM fly fishing instead of down here fighting mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are as bad as I have seen in a pretty good while. Still a little early for me to get fired up about deer.

Nice buck Aggiehunter. Obviously not too early for you!

I think I may change up my approach to rattling some this year, using some of the things from this thread and some other conversations I've had. Probably I am trying to make it too much like coyote calling and trying to pull them too far.

Gonna be chilly again this Friday I think. Maybe that will help with deer movement.
                  From my panhandle experience (2012 to current) the best time to kill your target buck is EARLY. They are predicable, still bachelored up, and un-broken! I'd rather be sweating and swatting mosquitoes that freezing

Comment

From my panhandle experience (2012 to current) the best time to kill your target buck is EARLY. They are predicable, still bachelored up, and un-broken! I'd rather be sweating and swatting mosquitoes that freezing
                    This has been my experience as well around Spur. Especially with a bow. Super late season with a rifle overlooking a large area can be good as well. I killed a 138 with my bow out of a tree in a bachelor group the first weekend of bow season. Had 5 bucks all over 4 years old within 20 yards at one time. Not gonna have that kind of experience late season. However, the next year I killed a 143 with a gun late december. Only mature buck that was showing up.
                    Last edited by Arrowthreat; 10-09-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

For sure that is a valid approach. Broke racks are always a consideration later on. If you have one on a good pattern, it is time to take him out.

Comment

Great buck Aggiehunter08.

Rwc

Comment

Anybody hunting this evening or tomorrow? I heard of chances of snow in the NW corner of the panhandle!

Comment

Brisk north wind rolling here this morning. Wind is supposed to rip pretty good tonight I think. By Saturday supposed to be back to a SE wind though.

Comment

Go get 'em, fellas. I'll be down in a couple weeks.

Comment

Sure wish I could sit tomorrow but it will have to wait till Sat morning!

Comment

Working...
                                X