Homemade suppressor??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
    $300 is halfway to some of the best centerfire suppressors on the market. Don't half-azz a lifetime purchase.
    I disagree completely,,, owning both I can tell you that with the right machine work your not giving up anything in fact one of my form 1 units is 2 OD by 8 long and its far better than my dead air unit to my ears . in a larger cal like 6.5 and 30 ( multi cal can )

Both work great no issues with either . In fact the 59 dollar 5/8 24 brake in 13/16 thread for adapter is a great brake as well . That one I bought is Ti but it was only due to availability

as well the easy of caliber changes is SO simple as running a 556 gun with a 30 cal can its a fair amount louder so a simple change of baffles for less than 50 dollars .

Now with that said look at the rebel cans I will be getting one of those soon at least I hope so paper work is dragging on .

Hard to say as your compare so many different items . as to what is better I am sure some of the are junk . where as others are not and the machine work is top notch without a doubt

Comment

As far as price, my last all titanium Form 1 can cost me $625 not counting any drills bits. Granted, $125 of that was for the ASR adapter from SiCo, but for that price I was really close to another Omega and I have no warranty and it doesn’t work as good as the Omega.

BUT, if you have the equipment to do the drilling and clipping well, and like DIY stuff then you will enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
        I disagree completely,,, owning both I can tell you that with the right machine work your not giving up anything in fact one of my form 1 units is 2 OD by 8 long and its far better than my dead air unit to my ears . in a larger cal like 6.5 and 30 ( multi cal can )

Both work great no issues with either . In fact the 59 dollar 5/8 24 brake in 13/16 thread for adapter is a great brake as well . That one I bought is Ti but it was only due to availability

as well the easy of caliber changes is SO simple as running a 556 gun with a 30 cal can its a fair amount louder so a simple change of baffles for less than 50 dollars .

Now with that said look at the rebel cans I will be getting one of those soon at least I hope so paper work is dragging on .

Hard to say as your compare so many different items . as to what is better I am sure some of the are junk . where as others are not and the machine work is top notch without a doubt
        I have a 22 rebel I got for dirt cheap, just to play with, and it shifts my POI about 9 inches down and 4 inches left @ 50 yards. Opened my group size up some too. But it's pretty quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
          As far as price, my last all titanium Form 1 can cost me $625 not counting any drills bits. Granted, $125 of that was for the ASR adapter from SiCo, but for that price I was really close to another Omega and I have no warranty and it doesn’t work as good as the Omega.

BUT, if you have the equipment to do the drilling and clipping well, and like DIY stuff then you will enjoy it.

This is where I feel it can be difficult to use broad brush strokes Sure some are made great and some are not .

As I went into to with really nothing to look forward to . Meaning well if its junk well then its junk move on not a huge deal .

The one I bought I had to do nothing to it at all . In fact the machine work and tapered cones where amazing .. I think that many of the ideas that some are using is a direct copy of what the big names are doing . One out there now has the one piece CNC cut crazy baffle .

One small spring washer just like the name brand .. File the form 1 and away you go . Do I think all of the home made form 1 are the same no I do not .

Comment

What ever happened to the hearing protection act?

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              What ever happened to the hearing protection act?
              pretty much died when the vegas shooting happened.

Comment

Bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post

You're entitled to your opinion about how your homemade cans sound to your own ears. But you lost me at "far better than my dead air can." Sorry, just no.

a simple change of baffles for less than 50 dollars .
                  Making new silencer parts is a federal felony.

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
                  As far as price, my last all titanium Form 1 can cost me $625 not counting any drills bits.
                  Stellite, inconel, and titanium are not cheap materials, even at wholesale. Is there some price baked into Form 4 cans due to smaller economies of scale? Absolutely. In a de-regulated arena maybe Dead Air could make their cans for $400. Idk. But one hunnit dollars is a pipe dream.

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                  I have a 22 rebel I got for dirt cheap, just to play with, and it shifts my POI about 9 inches down and 4 inches left @ 50 yards. Opened my group size up some too. But it's pretty quiet.
                  Exactly. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                    I’ve heard of people using oil filters so long as the barrel is threaded. It’s not legal and I do not recommend it but I’ve been told by unnamed sources that it works very well hence why it is not legal nor do I advise it especially after I lost all of my rifles in a boating accident in the gulf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Man you too? I'm still upset about that. Rogue wave came out of no where, took every gun I had to the bottom. I went and bought a bunch more to replace them and the next trip out they all fell in the lake. I may have to give up boating.

Comment

^

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                        I'm willing to bet best groups at 100yds with anyone using an oilcan 'can'...can't wait to see the brilliant mounting system to clear that eyesore on the end of the muzzle.

To me it would be a fun project if I was a machinist.

I agree but I have been around a 308 shooting subs through a $12 oil filter that was stupid quiet with no special mounts needed

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                          I emailed Rusty yesterday about building one for me. He said if I completed the Form 1, my cost to him would be just under $800. This was for a 6.5 creedmore build, with a titanium tube and he would cut, clip, add spacers as needed, and test it.
                          Unless I misunderstood him, personally, I’d rather spend that money on a bigger established company.
                          I also just got a quote from rusty and he said I could get the parts for a Griffin-Style Taper Mounted 1.5" od - 8.5" Suppressor with 7 rsc for $451. To step up one size to 1.625" x 7.8" it would be $525. Then if you want him to bore and clip, it would be an additional $265.

Comment

Alright, I'm about to submit my form 1. Anybody else have experience with using Rusty?

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              $300 is halfway to some of the best centerfire suppressors on the market. Don't half-azz a lifetime purchase.
                              x2!

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                                Alright, I'm about to submit my form 1. Anybody else have experience with using Rusty?
                                Care to share any plans for your project? I’m lookimg to Form 1 soon. I’ve looked into buying kits, or maybe buying some parts from Rusty, them finishing myself, just nit sure which way I want to go yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X