The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
    Yes sir, same here. Waiting on the Antelope draw now. Where are you hunting in MT?

I'm hunting on a big piece of private north of Bozeman about an hour. I'm waiting on the antelope draw as well.

Comment

I just spoke to my buddy in Luna NM, He said the drought is extreme. Those of us that are hunting the Gila need to pray for rain.

Comment

Drew my muzzy elk tag in Colorado. Kind of interested in getting a bear tag if I get lucky early. Anybody have any experience hunting bears in September? Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
          Drew my muzzy elk tag in Colorado. Kind of interested in getting a bear tag if I get lucky early. Anybody have any experience hunting bears in September? Any tips?
          I have walked up on several of them in La Plata and Eagle counties, but didn’t have a tag when I did. I was told by the biologist that they are constantly traveling in September trying to put on the fat they need to survive the winter. Depending on where you drew, I’d call the fish and game and ask them where they dump the problem bears if any.

Comment

Come on September!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
              One year in Sept I saw 9 different bears in 7 days of elk hunting. 8 of them were at water holes. Several hopped in and swam in the ponds while I was there. They were eating something called a chokecherry that time of year. Find areas with alot of them plus water.....and you should be in business.

Link with a pic of a chokecherry.

Last edited by unclefish; 06-12-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Michael and I are going to be recording a podcast about elk hunting in the next week.. What topics do you want us to cover?? If you have any questions ask away..

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                  Michael and I are going to be recording a podcast about elk hunting in the next week.. What topics do you want us to cover?? If you have any questions ask away..

Effective use of decoys, especially cheap solutions like multiple burlap bags.

Since elk continually move, how long to stay in an area and hope vs. moving to snother spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                    Effective use of decoys, especially cheap solutions like multiple burlap bags.

Since elk continually move, how long to stay in an area and hope vs. moving to snother spot.

I actually liked my bull last year with a decoy set up. Something I’ve never talked about.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                      Drew my first bull tag today.....spike bull but still a bull

Have hunted plenty of cows, so will be nice to chase antlers this time.
                      Hmm...spike tags? I figured spikes would be protected instead of targeted. I don't have an issue with it as I would shoot one in a heartbeat if that was my tag. Just find it odd. I'm sure they have a good reason for them.

Good luck! Expect to see LDP's in September.

Comment

First rifle season Colorado strategies. Short season, post rut hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                          Hmm...spike tags? I figured spikes would be protected instead of targeted. I don't have an issue with it as I would shoot one in a heartbeat if that was my tag. Just find it odd. I'm sure they have a good reason for them.

Good luck! Expect to see LDP's in September.
                          I think Utah also has a spike only permit, but I could be mistaken.

Comment

No doubt it is dry, particularly in norther NM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drought.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	24542738

Comment

JT is the host, but I suspect this rookie will be asking most of the questions!
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                                I just spoke to my buddy in Luna NM, He said the drought is extreme. Those of us that are hunting the Gila need to pray for rain.
                                We're finally starting to get a few scattered showers the last few days, but it hasn't been anything to get too excited about yet. Weatherman is calling for an inch or so over the weekend though. That would be a great start.

Comment

Working...
                                X