Picture texting game cam questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture texting game cam questions

I am looking at getting one of the game cams that send you pictures, I did the search thing and just got confused. I have no experience with that type of camera and have a few basic questions.

1 Can I use somewhere like cricket or straight talk for my provider or do I have to go somewhere and get on a contract.

2 Does the monthly service cost the same as a phone or do I need to ask for something else.

3 in the cameras I would like something robust over high end pic quality, also budget friendly would be a plus, suggestions?

4 batteries and charger, external/internal batteries, which way to go.

I am looking for something low maintenance. I don't want junk, but don't need a lot of extra bells and whistles either.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Search button will answer all those on here there’s litterally everything you need to know on them

Comment

I have a two HCO Spartans GoCams and a Covert Code Black all with AT&T plans. I can't say I would pick one over the other. I've used a full season and been pleased overall. Battery life is good. I only use lithium batteries. Both came with sim card and very simple to purchase, use and manage plan options.

Both have image quality options - you select the pixel size you want. Higher pixel sizes use more power and take longer to process.

My Spartan GoCam was knocked out of place by hogs and subsequently destroyed. I called Spartan CS and they said send it and they'll see what they can do. Apparently, the board was salvageable and they replaced everything around it and it returned looking like new for $129. I personally thought that was great and was very happy. What i sent them was pretty much trash.

Only thing I've noticed that I don't like about both is the number of images they miss because of the processing speeds. I have no idea how many, but I know for a fact it happens. I have hunted and watched deer and other critters clearly in camera view and range for significant lengths of time and not had pics or had so few pics it only captured a single or partial animal.

I would mind having the solar chargers but I was investing so much when I bought these, I didn't want to spend even more. Haven't really seen justification to go back and get though I may in future. Hope this helps.

Comment

Ttech, if you don't mind me asking, are the plans the same cost as a cell phone plan, and if not how much are they?

And thanks for the more direct info, those linked threads confused this game cam beginner :-)

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
          Ttech, if you don't mind me asking, are the plans the same cost as a cell phone plan, and if not how much are they?

And thanks for the more direct info, those linked threads confused this game cam beginner :-)
          You can check any of the trail cam maker's websites and look at their plans. Here are the links on the cams I use:

Spartan Camera is the most sophisticated wireless scouting camera solution. You don't have to be there!

You can also check with your cellular provider directly and see what it would be to add to your service. You'll want to give the provider an exact definition though - can probably find somewhere in the links above. I think for me, it was like $10 a month for unlimited text messages. Whatever it was, it was a little better deal through the trailcam companies' plans.

Comment

Thanks, that should get me started.

Comment

Originally posted by ttechdallas View Post
              I have a two HCO Spartans GoCams and a Covert Code Black all with AT&T plans. I can't say I would pick one over the other. I've used a full season and been pleased overall. Battery life is good. I only use lithium batteries. Both came with sim card and very simple to purchase, use and manage plan options.

Both have image quality options - you select the pixel size you want. Higher pixel sizes use more power and take longer to process.

My Spartan GoCam was knocked out of place by hogs and subsequently destroyed. I called Spartan CS and they said send it and they'll see what they can do. Apparently, the board was salvageable and they replaced everything around it and it returned looking like new for $129. I personally thought that was great and was very happy. What i sent them was pretty much trash.

Only thing I've noticed that I don't like about both is the number of images they miss because of the processing speeds. I have no idea how many, but I know for a fact it happens. I have hunted and watched deer and other critters clearly in camera view and range for significant lengths of time and not had pics or had so few pics it only captured a single or partial animal.

I would mind having the solar chargers but I was investing so much when I bought these, I didn't want to spend even more. Haven't really seen justification to go back and get though I may in future. Hope this helps.
              I have the same issue with my Snyper General. “Missed images due to processing speeds”

I also receive a daily report at 12 pm. It may show twenty pics taken and only three sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                I have the same issue with my Snyper General. “Missed images due to processing speeds”

I also receive a daily report at 12 pm. It may show twenty pics taken and only three sent.
                Are these pics still stored on the camera though? I'm looking at these as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                  Are these pics still stored on the camera though? I'm looking at these as well.
                  Yes. You may get every pic it takes if you have a good signal. The cell reception on our hunting club is spotty. Most of the time one bar if you are lucky. You really need two for pics is what customer service told me. I even bought the booster antenna hoping it would help. It did not help as much as I hoped for.

It appears that I receive about half my pics.

Comment

Good to know. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X