TPWD proposed deer season changes for next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD proposed deer season changes for next year

Cliff notes, general deer season ends on the third sunday of January 2019, air bows and air rifles legalized for take of deer, late muzzle loader, late antlerless/spike, & late youth run two weeks after general season into february.

Last edited by bossbowman; 01-23-2018, 01:33 PM.

And antler restrictions in many Panhandle counties for mule deer.

Comment

looks like normal season is getting close to the same length as MLD leases, good deal!

Comment

Yes please

Comment

looks good to me!

Comment

That's awesome. The later the better around our area!

Comment

Hope they have examples of this happening and aren't dealing with hypotheticals

"The department is concerned that in counties where the antler restriction is in effect and the buck bag limit is two or more, a hunter might accidentally or intentionally harvest a buck that is not legal to kill and then take another buck with an inside spread of greater than 13 inches, which defeats the purpose of the rule. Therefore, the proposed amendment would clarify that in each county where the antler-restrictions are imposed, it would be unlawful to harvest more than one buck that has two branched antlers."

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post

"The department is concerned that in counties where the antler restriction is in effect and the buck bag limit is two or more, a hunter might accidentally or intentionally harvest a buck that is not legal to kill and then take another buck with an inside spread of greater than 13 inches, which defeats the purpose of the rule. Therefore, the proposed amendment would clarify that in each county where the antler-restrictions are imposed, it would be unlawful to harvest more than one buck that has two branched antlers."
                Yeah, that's the only part that I'd change. TPWD's obsession with killing yearling spikes is beyond me. If they'd leave the babies alone, then there would be more older 13"+ bucks to go around, and hunters could kill 2/year in those counties. And all the folks who "don't eat them horns" would have a little more meat in the freezer from the bigger deer as well.

Comment

Sounds good!

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post

Not sure what is changing, I guess maybe the wording, because thats how the law is now. Its not changing anything. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Comment

Glad this was brought up, maybe someone can clarify something for me. Late season Antlerless spike went until the 21st of January this past season. My son tagged a doe on the 14th in Sutton County. That was fine, but since he will be 10 this year, does that mean he could shoot a Buck after General Season ends? OR is the late youth season a county to county situation? We mostly hunt East Texas, but get to go on a few hunts to Sutton county. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        Yeah, that's the only part that I'd change. TPWD's obsession with killing yearling spikes is beyond me. If they'd leave the babies alone, then there would be more older 13"+ bucks to go around, and hunters could kill 2/year in those counties. And all the folks who "don't eat them horns" would have a little more meat in the freezer from the bigger deer as well.
                        Yeah, the "kill the spikes" deal is just completely bassackwards. I wish I knew the thinking behind that...

I guess though, the people who kill spikes are just screwing themselves, except on small properties, and then they're screwing the neighbors too.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          Yeah, the "kill the spikes" deal is just completely bassackwards. I wish I knew the thinking behind that...
                          TPWD's Kerr WMA research from a few decades ago is what they're apparently still hung up on and sticking with. But that has been pretty handily refuted. I guess they're like most of the rest of us.....it's hard to admit when you're wrong sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                            That's awesome. The later the better around our area!
                            X2

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                              Glad this was brought up, maybe someone can clarify something for me. Late season Antlerless spike went until the 21st of January this past season. My son tagged a doe on the 14th in Sutton County. That was fine, but since he will be 10 this year, does that mean he could shoot a Buck after General Season ends? OR is the late youth season a county to county situation? We mostly hunt East Texas, but get to go on a few hunts to Sutton county. Thanks for the help.
                              Late youth is for every county that has a General season. He’s good until he’s 17.

Comment

Working...
                              X