Family Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Advice

After reading the Inheritance thread and dealing with family drama now, I wanted to bring up a very important topic.

Make sure you and your family have a last will and testament. So many families are broken up after a death due to this, some are also broken up because of who is left a certain item. However, it needs to be your parents, grandparents or who ever passes idea on who gets what.

I think it could save many headaches down the road.

No doubt and it’s so easy.
    Lots of people just say I’ll let the kids sort it out after I’m gone and that’s the worst thing you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yup

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
        Yup
        Good to see you back on here sir!

Comment

Disagreement between heirs makes real estate deals almost impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by jefandaward View Post
            Disagreement between heirs makes real estate deals almost impossible.
            Yes sir, I am dealing with 2 sets of grandparents passing away. One with a will and left it all to my youngest of 6 uncles. Everyone is perfect with this as he was the one who took care of my grandmother and her estate her last 15 years.

The other grandparent passed with no will and now the family has fallen apart over the dealings with the land and greed.

Comment

Absolutely---and a trust if needed with a "trusted" family member or acquaintance to manage it. In our case, our granddaughter is 13 and should her mom and dad be killed in an accident, someone needs to manage things besides the court until she is of age.

Comment

I agree, get a will or trust done now. It will save a lot of time and money for all concerned.

Comment

Absolutely!!! I’ve dealt with it both ways recently. My great grandmother passed away three years ago and it was absolutely seamless. She had EVERYTHING lined out a long time ago and would make changes as needed. Her kids were all gone so it was left to the grandkids which consists of my mom, her brother and a step brother. Nobody has seen the brother in years but wouldn’t you know he showed up looking for a handout, and couldn’t believe everything was split between the other two, but everything was official and there wasn’t anything he could do about it.

On the other hand my grandmother on the other side passed in August and had NOTHING lined out. She died with next to nothing money wise but has been the biggest pain for my parents to figure out. She still had her home and a vehicle which they’ve been fighting to get since the day she passed. What a pain!!

I’m 24 and already have everything lined out SHOULD something happen. In my line of work it’s a chance I take everyday. If something was to ever happen to me it’s going to be hard enough on my family, they shouldn’t have to worry about me not having my ducks in a row.

Comment

Great advice and reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                      No doubt and it’s so easy.
                      Lots of people just say I’ll let the kids sort it out after I’m gone and that’s the worst thing you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Watching some extended family do this currently. Pretty sad.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

We thought all the paper work was finished until one of the kids lost it's mind. Need to go back and make some changes........

Comment

The other thing I would recommend is once you have your will in place is to revisit it at least every 5 years with an attorney to make sure everything is still how you want it. New laws come into play all the time that can effect how your will(assets) are treated.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                            The other thing I would recommend is once you have your will in place is to revisit it at least every 5 years with an attorney to make sure everything is still how you want it. New laws come into play all the time that can effect how your will(assets) are treated.
                            Not only that but circumstances change. Children die, get divorced, or go to prison. Your preferred executor dies. You have more children. You get divorced. You inherit money or property. Etc., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                              Not only that but circumstances change. Children die, get divorced, or go to prison. Your preferred executor dies. You have more children. You get divorced. You inherit money or property. Etc., etc.
                              Agreed 100% but some folks think everything is fine because their individual situations have remained the same. They dont realize the tax/inheritance laws have changed which may mean a need to adjust wording in their will.

Comment

Working...
                              X