seizure policy Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seizure policy Texas

what are the rules if you have 2 seizures in about 6 months apart? one doctor at recovery told me I could not drive for 6 weeks. does a neurologist submit a form to the state that clears me? does a hospital call the state and inform them? all new to me. Thanks

I work with a guy that had that happen, took a doc to say he could drive again

Comment

With the health care privacy acts how does the state even know?

Comment

What caused the seizures, how severe were they, what meds are involved? Also, what dr? Did he report you for some reason? Did you give him permission to release your info? Is this workmans comp?

Comment

this will be my second one. first was feb. 6 meds are mild. I don't know if this was reported to the state.

Comment

Originally posted by bryan sandlin View Post
            what are the rules if you have 2 seizures in about 6 months apart? one doctor at recovery told me I could not drive for 6 weeks. does a neurologist submit a form to the state that clears me? does a hospital call the state and inform them? all new to me. Thanks
            Has DPS suspended or sought to suspend your driving privileges?

LWD

Comment

Take this as opinion, but if you're having seizures, do you feel you should be driving? I know driving is almost a necessity to make a living- but is it worth your life or someone else's if it happens while driving?

Don't know all the regulations on it, but as LE we can submit a form to DPS for a medical advisory board to be convened. A hearing is held to determine if the license is suspended. Have done a few over the past 20+ years, and always feel a little guilt when I do knowing the impact it may have on this person's life- but also weigh it against the effect it could have on others lives.

Fortunately I've never experienced seizures, or had anyone close to me that did, but after seeing people who do have them in the middle of a seizure, and the total loss of control in some cases, I hope I would make the right decisions if I were in that position. Lots of options available- family, friends, uber, etc. Lives can be at stake, and that's a moral burden to bare if the worst happens.

Good luck, and prayers for your health.

Comment

I have started anti-seizure med last week. and I don't want to hurt anyone if it takes place behind the wheel. but setting here is driving me crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                  Take this as opinion, but if you're having seizures, do you feel you should be driving? I know driving is almost a necessity to make a living- but is it worth your life or someone else's if it happens while driving?

Don't know all the regulations on it, but as LE we can submit a form to DPS for a medical advisory board to be convened. A hearing is held to determine if the license is suspended. Have done a few over the past 20+ years, and always feel a little guilt when I do knowing the impact it may have on this person's life- but also weigh it against the effect it could have on others lives.

Fortunately I've never experienced seizures, or had anyone close to me that did, but after seeing people who do have them in the middle of a seizure, and the total loss of control in some cases, I hope I would make the right decisions if I were in that position. Lots of options available- family, friends, uber, etc. Lives can be at stake, and that's a moral burden to bare if the worst happens.

Good luck, and prayers for your health.

Yep as a retired Leo I submitted several people to the MAB for either diminished mental faculties or some type of medical issue it is hard to tell someone that but if they hit your family or run you over only other person loses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There is no obligation in The State of Texas for a physician to notify DPS of your seizures but the can. Texas Law requires you to be seizure free for 3 months before driving. Most states require 6 months. So in Texas you get lucky in that aspect. If you need more information, just PM me.

Comment

I know that I will wait to drive until the meds are working. not going to steal from others. that will be the same if one takes place when behind the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by big papa View Post
                        There is no obligation in The State of Texas for a physician to notify DPS of your seizures but the can. Texas Law requires you to be seizure free for 3 months before driving. Most states require 6 months. So in Texas you get lucky in that aspect. If you need more information, just PM me.
                        That's interesting. My neurologist told me texas required 6 months.

Comment

My wife's neurologist told her the law was 6 months without a seizure.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
                            That's interesting. My neurologist told me texas required 6 months.
                            My d-i-l has seizure disorder. some years ago it was a 1-yr grounding based on the doc's assessment of likelihood of recurrence. It is now 6 months.

Comment

Not everyone will report to DPS. But if you have a accident after the doctor tells you not to drive, the civil side will bankrupt you beyond belief. Not worth losing everything you have worked for all of your life. Besides that how would you feel by having a accident and killing someone and having to live with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X