Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #51
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Oh yay!! Another "my opinion is more important than your opinion" thread

TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #52
6.8mmSPC
Eight Point

Hunt In: Benjamin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDT View Post
Yeah...no idea where the premium idea comes from. 80k miles and mine has never seen the first drop of premium.
The sticker inside the fuel door on my '17 clearly says premium fuel.
6.8mmSPC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #53
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDispatcher View Post
Oh yay!! Another "my opinion is more important than your opinion" thread

The thread was started for the purpose of gathering opinions....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #54
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
The thread was started for the purpose of gathering opinions....

Quit pointing out my oversight of the obvious, dang it

Old 03-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #55
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Roger that!

Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #56
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
There is no way that little 6 cylinder will stay together in the long run, and when it breaks it will be epic.

Tell that to people with 200k plus on them. I'm sure it will surprise them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2017, 10:21 PM   #57
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Default GMC 6.2L half ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSmasher View Post
Tell that to people with 200k plus on them. I'm sure it will surprise them.

I haven't found one yet who did more than pull a ranger or a super heavy load of stuff from Target twice a week.

I've heard of 3 catastrophic engine failures, and a bunch of "condensation issues" or some such...

Last edited by Dale Moser; 03-19-2017 at 10:31 PM..
Old 03-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #58
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
There is no way that little 6 cylinder will stay together in the long run, and when it breaks it will be epic.

Possibly. But there are plenty of turbo charged engines that have been around for a long time.

Turbos ain't new technology.

Remember the power the mid 90s turbo Supras were capable of making?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2017, 10:25 PM   #59
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I would wait for the tranny...it's legit.
HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2017, 10:37 PM   #60
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Possibly. But there are plenty of turbo charged engines that have been around for a long time.

Turbos ain't new technology.

Remember the power the mid 90s turbo Supras were capable of making?

I do, and I did some really ridiculous stuff in some girls Eclipse turbo. I had a good friend with a Buick grand national too, but none were asked to pull twice their weight very often.

I think this "small motor on turbo" thing has a future, but they haven't figured it out yet. And I don't care how much boost you stuff in a 3.5 liter V6, it just won't perform like a big V8.....YET!

Honestly I think this is going to wind up at a smaller V8, with a mild boost...but that hasn't been proven to last yet either.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:39 AM   #61
firemanjj82
Ten Point

Quote:
And I don't care how much boost you stuff in a 3.5 liter V6, it just won't perform like a big V8.....YET!
Change that "V" to an "I", and it probably would. I've missed Ford's 300ci I6 engine from the 90's. It's what I grew up around, and those little half tons would haul some weight. I couldn't imagine one with a turbo system as well.
firemanjj82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #62
deerplanter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDT View Post
Yeah...no idea where the premium idea comes from. 80k miles and mine has never seen the first drop of premium.
It's in the manual, but I didn't see it until I had around 50k miles on mine running regular but now I add premium some of the times.

To the OP it will pull anything you want to but just remember it's still has a 1/2 ton suspension so the 15,000 rating maybe a little sketchy. I pulled a 10k TT from Burnet to Baytown and on to Pineland with out any issues. I could only tell it was there if I got some cross wind but as far as the power it pulled almost as good as diesel.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #63
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
I haven't found one yet who did more than pull a ranger or a super heavy load of stuff from Target twice a week.

I've heard of 3 catastrophic engine failures, and a bunch of "condensation issues" or some such...

Standby, someone will be along to tell you the eco will pull a house down and get 37 mpg on unicorn urine
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #64
CBHunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
Gear ratio has just as much to do with towing ability than displacement.....

Bingo!

CBHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #65
Justin Spies
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas

I had a 2015 GMC with the 6.2 I loved the power of the truck and would get 16MPG average with around 20 on long HWY trip. At 12k miles my torque converter went out. This concerned me but I let it go. Then at 19k I was pulling into to Zapata Tx and my transmission locked into 2nd gear. I got it fixed and traded it in. I just couldnt trust it on my out of town trips.
Justin Spies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #66
Chef
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Spies View Post
I had a 2015 GMC with the 6.2 I loved the power of the truck and would get 16MPG average with around 20 on long HWY trip. At 12k miles my torque converter went out. This concerned me but I let it go. Then at 19k I was pulling into to Zapata Tx and my transmission locked into 2nd gear. I got it fixed and traded it in. I just couldnt trust it on my out of town trips.
The only GM product I've ever owned was a lemon. 1994 Silverado single cab 4x4. Bought it the day I got out of boot camp. It had 18 miles on it at purchase and less than 5k when I dropped off the keys.

That is my only fear of going back to GM. Ford's have always been good to me.
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #67
Rubi513
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker County

The 6.2 makes 460 ft lbs of torque @ 4,100 rpm, while the Ecoboost makes 470 lb. ft. of torque at 2,500 rpm.
The Ecoboost makes most of its power at lower rpm. Which should make it tow better.
The 17 3.5 Ecoboost has been redesigned, so who knows what the reliability will be.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #68
Justin Spies
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Tx, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
The only GM product I've ever owned was a lemon. 1994 Silverado single cab 4x4. Bought it the day I got out of boot camp. It had 18 miles on it at purchase and less than 5k when I dropped off the keys.

I bought at 2016 F150 its my first Ford and I am very pleased with it actually.
Justin Spies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #69
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post

I have 50,000 miles on my 2015 3.5 Ecoboost and love it. I tow my 5-6000 lb Seahunt with it and it is impressive. I also have a 36 ft Wildwood park model that is super heavy 7000 plus and it pulls it well as also.

Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean that Chevy's are crap. I have known lots of people that have had good experience. My GF's dad buys a new one every three years (he has a car allowance from work) and they have been good trucks. We towed our boat with his Tahoe a couple years ago and it was fine.

This thread has came down to a lot of ignorant brand loyalty. I chose the Ford when I was buying because it had the bigger and better interior. The only two engines I considered were the 6.2 Chevy and 3.5 Eco. The 3.5 Eco and 6.2 are nearly equal at sea level but at altitude the Eco has a clear advantage and I elk hunt at least once and sometimes twice a year.

Both of them would and do tow very well. If you need to pull a gooseneck flatbed with a dozer on it get a dually. If you like me routinely pull 6-8k pounds you should probably make your decision on something other than what a fanboy on the internet says.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #70
KingsX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion ,Tom green co.

Quote:
Whatever. If you saw the first chart I posted you can see how the mighty 6.2 only fared slightly better than the 5.0 towing up a 7% grade for 8 miles. And the Hemi kicked all their asses.

The 6.2 is a great engine but it's not the end all.

The Ecoboost WILL tow better than the 5.0.

I am waiting to see how the more powerful 2017 Ecoboost does with the new 10 speed transmission up the Ike gauntlet. I suspect it's going to blow away all of the other 1/2 tons.

Do you believe what people that have owned a ecoboost and a 6.2 have to say about the comparison of the two trucks or are you stuck on that stat sheet review? Real world side by side comparisons tend to work better than a stat sheet but of course people lie a lot!

I can't see a v6 outlasting a 405hp v8 in a towing life of a truck comparison. I'm sure there is a stat sheet review somewhere that proves them close on that subject too. Lol.

KingsX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #71
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjj82 View Post
Change that "V" to an "I", and it probably would. I've missed Ford's 300ci I6 engine from the 90's. It's what I grew up around, and those little half tons would haul some weight. I couldn't imagine one with a turbo system as well.
My dad still has an '87 extended cab with the 300ci I6...I want to buy it and rebuild it some day. I love that old truck...lots of great memories of fishing and hunting trips in that truck. And it's a beast!!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #72
Traildust
Pope & Young

I can see where the GM will get better fuel mileage once it gets 50K miles on it. The alternator won't be dragging the engine down that much because of all the broken electrical parts.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #73
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsX View Post
Do you believe what people that have owned a ecoboost and a 6.2 have to say about the comparison of the two trucks or are you stuck on that stat sheet review? Real world side by side comparisons tend to work better than a stat sheet but of course people lie a lot!

I can't see a v6 outlasting a 405hp v8 in a towing life of a truck comparison. I'm sure there is a stat sheet review somewhere that proves them close on that subject too. Lol.

You're a GM fanboy and that's ok. I posted that up for reference only. There's plenty of other info out there comparing them if you'd take the time to get your head out of GMs butt long enough to look yourself.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #74
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

I wish one of them would turbo a 5.3 or 5.4 liter V8 as an option for 1/2 and 3/4 tons. Seems like a better option than the little diesels that do t seem to be catching on very well.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #75
Rubi513
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
I wish one of them would turbo a 5.3 or 5.4 liter V8 as an option for 1/2 and 3/4 tons. Seems like a better option than the little diesels that do t seem to be catching on very well.

Agreed.
http://horsepowerkings.com/the-f-150...bo-v8-in-2018/
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #76
Arrowthreat
Six Point

Hunt In: North West Llano county

My father has a 2014 chevy 1500 Z71 with the 6.2. He's been very happy with the truck and the motor. It's got a lot of balls, and gets around 15 city and 17 highway with a ranch hand replacement bumper, leveling kit, and 33's.

I would never buy an ecoboost. It seems like Ford changes that motor every couple of years.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #77
trhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora, Texas

I went from a Ford 6.7 F250 to a 2016 Chevy 6.2L 1/2 ton. I love the truck and motor. I have pulled my travel trailer from my home to Cotulla and it pulled well, but only got 8.3 mpg. When I pull my ranger down there I get right around 10. With the ranger you don't even know it is there. If you are going to be pulling a heavy travel trailer around much I would put bags on it. Makes the pull way better. Oh empty I get 17.8 mpg.
trhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #78
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

A turbo is great, but it is spinning at 30K+ rpms. The more boost the turbo is applying, the higher the exhaust gas temps rise. Relying TOO much on a turbo for power will led to failures. When pulling heavy loads, the turbo on a smaller motor will be spooled up a majority of the time.
BrianL is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #79
KingsX
Pope & Young

Quote:
You're a GM fanboy and that's ok. I posted that up for reference only. There's plenty of other info out there comparing them if you'd take the time to get your head out of GMs butt long enough to look yourself.

Wow,You definitely don't know me so stop with the childish name calling please sir!
Don't bother yourself you'll be on my ignore list anyway.

Sorry OP for the pointless banter over pointless things with no value to your thread.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #80
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Quote:
Wow,You definitely don't know me so stop with the childish name calling please sir!
Don't bother yourself you'll be on my ignore list anyway.

Sorry OP for the pointless banter over pointless things with no value to your thread.

Ooooo don't ignore him! The horror!!

I might not have said the butt comment but you are clearly a fanboy. So you like Chevys, so what. Nothing to be sensitive about.....or is it???? Lol

Old 03-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #81
KingsX
Pope & Young

All I know is the 2010 6.2 that I bought new will pull very well. I had a 2001 duramax and the 6.2 holds its own on the road pulling a trailer against that older Duramax. I have a 2500 ford that I work out of and it won't even come close to the 6.2 but it's a 2006 with 120,000 miles on it now. The newer model 6.2's are most likely better than my 2010 but the mpg's people are posting up are the same that I'm still getting on the 2010 at 58,000 miles. I'm sure the ecoboost v6 is a good truck and depending on what you will be pulling and how often is the key on what I would buy. I've always had it in my head that a good V8 will outlast a v6 anyday but maybe things have changed idk??? Never thought a v6 would be in the discussion of towing with a v8 so that in itself is impressive from Ford. Like others have said it seems the ecoboost has had its issues and several motor changes since the beginning so I would research that a lot before buying. I've burned a truck to the ground "literally" because of electrical issues before and it just so happened to be a 2006 Ford F-150 at the time. I really don't have anything good to add in a true comparison but I trust what Txwhitetail has said because he tows a lot and I know him personally. That's all you can really do is take what you've read here or friends and their personal experiences with the trucks in question and make a decision. As you know or may have read on my previous posts I don't like stat sheets. Lol.

Last edited by KingsX; 03-20-2017 at 04:04 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #82
KingsX
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSmasher View Post
Ooooo don't ignore him! The horror!!

I might not have said the butt comment but you are clearly a fanboy. So you like Chevys, so what. Nothing to be sensitive about.....or is it???? Lol

Lol@the nothing to be sensitive about.....or is it. Made me smile.
I own Toyota and Chevy and considering a RanchKing f-250 powerstoke in the future so NO I'm not.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #83
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
All I know is the 2010 6.2 that I bought new will pull very well. I had a 2001 duramax and the 6.2 holds its own on the road pulling a trailer against that older Duramax. I have a 2500 ford that I work out of and it won't even come close to the 6.2 but it's a 2006 with 120,000 miles on it now. The newer model 6.2's are most likely better than my 2010 but the mpg's people are posting up are the same that I'm still getting on the 2010 at 58,000 miles. I'm sure the ecoboost v6 is a good truck and depending on what you will be pulling and how often is the key on what I would buy. I've always had it in my head that a good V8 will outlast a v6 anyday but maybe things have changed idk??? Never thought a v6 would be in the discussion of towing with a v8 so that in itself is impressive from Ford. Like others have said it seems the ecoboost has had its issues and several motor changes since the beginning so I would research that a lot before buying. I've burned a truck to the ground "literally" because of electrical issues before and it just so happened to be a 2006 Ford F-150 at the time. I really don't have anything good to add in a true comparison but I trust what Txwhitetail has said because he tows a lot and I know him personally. That's all you can really do is take what you've read here or friends and their personal experiences with the trucks in question and make a decision. As you know or may have read on my previous posts I don't like stat sheets. Lol.

That's all I was trying to say. Technology is changing all the time. Turbocharged vehicles are nothing new. There are billions of miles logged pulling heavy loads with turbo charged engines. Yes they are diesel and in a different class but my point was there is no reason to be afraid of turbocharged engine. The reality is it's all hooked to the same weight under the same conditions there won't be a noticeable bit of difference between any of them. So it really all those balls down to personal preference.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #84
Texans42
Ten Point

A thread about towing and half tons.... cute.
Texans42 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #85
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjj82 View Post
That is my favorite motor of all time! I have owned 2 and want another one.

btw, there are a few people that have slapped a turbo on them. From what I remember, there is a video of one on the dyno running 8 psi of boost (low pressure) and it put down a little over 200 hp and a little over 400 ft lbs to the wheels! Peak torque was at about 2k rpm too! Then there is stupid boost. Another guy posted a dyno sheet of his turbo 300 inline 6 running 18 psi. If I remember right, his was putting down a little over 300 hp with around 550 ft lbs of torque! Man I love that old motor!
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #86
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
A turbo is great, but it is spinning at 30K+ rpms. The more boost the turbo is applying, the higher the exhaust gas temps rise. Relying TOO much on a turbo for power will led to failures. When pulling heavy loads, the turbo on a smaller motor will be spooled up a majority of the time.

A turbo might be spinning at 30k rpms while you are not in boost. A typical gas motor small size turbo is going to spin around 100k to 150k rpm while at full tilt boogie.

A friend of mine a few years ago owned a 1991 300ZX Twin Turbo. It was modified and was making just north of 400 hp to the wheels (that's about 450 hp at the crank). He raced the car a lot at track day events so it was pushed hard for long periods of time (not like at a drag strip where you are only on it hard for a few seconds). The last I had heard about it, the car had 240k miles on it with the stock motor and stock turbochargers. I would say that's pretty reliable for a highly stressed turbo motor.

But, turbo motors a dependent on good maintenance. You can neglect a typical V8 and it'll keep going. Neglect a turbo motor and it will not last long.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #87
BTGuard
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iowa

All I know is the (I assume) turbo on my work ecoboost this summer started to make a really nasty sound when you got on it on the interstate (a good amount of my driving) 104k miles on a 14. Never pulled that I know of, and I never pulled with it so can't chime in there. Without knowing what the sound was it made me nervous, but might have been nothing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BTGuard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #88
the-butcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: cushing,tx

Quote:
And the 3.5 still won't pull like the 6.2, and it won't last as long...I don't care what the charts and tables and papers say.

This^^^^
the-butcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top