No announcement yet.

mud bugs boiled in clean unseasoned water = the best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So who needs a taste tester? I'll send yall some dates that I'm available.

Comment

TTT, saved a boil 2 weekends ago with the ol mustard trick Everybody thought I was crazy but after the first batch came out so so(plenty of spice but just wasn't great), I headed to the store and bought all the mustard they had. The next 3 batch's turned out amazing!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
        TTT, saved a boil 2 weekends ago with the ol mustard trick Everybody thought I was crazy but after the first batch came out so so(plenty of spice but just wasn't great), I headed to the store and bought all the mustard they had. The next 3 batch's turned out amazing!!!!

I used it this past weekend, and it was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post

[emoji39][emoji39]

Comment

Gonna have to try this.

Comment

Originally posted by captdavedupnik View Post
              I'll boil a 30 lb sack. I dump 3 lbs of seasoning. Cut up 4 pounds of habanero peppers. Boil mud bugs for 3 min. Turn off heat dump a 20lb sack of ice inn with the them . Let them puppy's soak for 30 minutes.
              This is how to do it.

Comment

I have tried this recipe 3 different times with 3 different amounts 1 sack, 3, sacks, and 4 sacks. I think this is a good approach for a small gather and you are only cooking 1 or 2 sacks. When you get to a bigger party the approach doesn't work for me.
                1) too hard to maintain your spice level
                2) you cannot vary the spice for different tastes which you will have at a bigger party
                3) almost impossible to maintain the 30 minute rule when you have 25 folks eating

The mustard did almost nothing for me or my guests.

Small gatherings where everyone like the spice at the same level this is a fine approach if you have one pot. For me I will go back to my original cooking style.

Comment

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
                  Mustard on crawfish? sorry but sounds disgusting.......

I'd bet the first people to boil crawfish to eat said the same thing

BTW, I'm a believer in the if it ain't broke, don't fix it ideals. But I also like to experiment too. There's a great article on mud bugs in this month's Texas Highways magazine. Apparently, there's a large Asian population in Houston that has added their own Flair to crawfish boils that sounds amazing.

Comment

Double the mix and liquid in the boil. Don't waste space on veggies and crap. Use no basket so you can get more in a pot. Only boil for 5 minutes and then pour it liquid and all into a cooler. Add enough ice to just stop the cooking process. Close the lid and drink beer. Come back in 2 hours for the hottest tastiest crawfish you will ever eat. Have lots of beer and get ready to sweat. I don't dump them either. Sit by that cooler with a tray. Use a skimmer to get your self 1 steaming hot pound at a time. Repeat 14 times. LOL.

Comment

Tagged.

We gonna try dis methid dis weekin at da ann-yul mud bug boil!!!

Comment

mud bugs boiled in clean unseasoned water = the best

We had a crawfish boil b-day party for my 8 year old. It was her idea. I cooked up 126lbs of crawfish plus all the sausage, corn and potatoes. I decided to go with half this method to see what people thought about them and half the old school method. Im glad I did. On the new method I went spicy. On the old method I went mild. They both got hit hard but overall the feedback was better for the new method. I even caught people putting the old school crawfish in the new method cooler to soak up some of that juice. At the end of the night not one crawfish, corn, sausage or potato was left. I cant wait for the next time.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Poco View Post
                          We had a crawfish boil b-day party for my 8 year old. It was her idea. I cooked up 126lbs of crawfish plus all the sausage, corn and potatoes. I decided to go with half this method to see what people thought about them and half the old school method. Im glad I did. On the new method I went spicy. On the old method I went mild. They both got hit hard but overall the feedback was better for the new method. I even caught people putting the old school crawfish in the new method cooler to soak up some of that juice. At the end of the night not one crawfish, corn, sausage or potato was left. I cant wait for the next time.

Ray
                          Of course the new method won, Mild always looses to Spicy

Comment

Originally posted by Breezy View Post
                            i have ever had ! our bud did two sacks last night at a annual chili fest cook off down here near corpus. 5 gallons hot water, 5 lbs. of seasoning that he gets from a place in Katy and 1 gallon of mustard. mix it all up and put in a big cooler. he boiled bugs in clean clear plain water and dumped in the mixture when done. let them soak for 20-30 mins then eat. holy cow was it good. never have heard of it being done like this but its the only way i want it done from now on. that good ! boiled potatoes, mushroom and corn as well.
                            This is the method used at a boil I was at way up here in north Texas this past Friday night. Not sure about the mustard, but the rest is spot on. A girl I used to coach is married to a guy from southwest Louisiana. They brought a huge load up here and her husband cooked for large crowd. By far the best I have had. He said he purged them 5 times before cooking. Even my wife liked these, and she usually hated crawfish

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                              Of course the new method won, Mild always looses to Spicy

Lol!! If you say so.

Ray

Comment

Well we tried this new method for the first time at our annual boil yesterday and it was a huge success. Definitely the juiciest bugs we've ever had. Everybody raved about them. Will never do the individual seasoned pot method again. From now on...it's the slurry in the cooler method for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X