Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next one on the list. September 2018

Comment

Rucked a bit last few days. Traps are a bit sore. I am assuming this will go away as those muscles get used to carrying some weight. Any thoughts from you experianced guys would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
        Rucked a bit last few days. Traps are a bit sore. I am assuming this will go away as those muscles get used to carrying some weight. Any thoughts from you experianced guys would be great.
        How far you going? Your traps will get used to the load but long distance is gonna hurt regardless. If you’re going long, pre load ibuprofen the night before and then right before the ruck and during. Won’t kill the pain, but it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
          How far you going? Your traps will get used to the load but long distance is gonna hurt regardless. If you’re going long, pre load ibuprofen the night before and then right before the ruck and during. Won’t kill the pain, but it helps.
          Not too far ( about 4-5 miles) just trying to get started. I want to start doing some moderate distances on some hills and rocky terrain. Sometimes I am afforded an opportunity to do it while working. Down side is I can't use a pack that straps around the waist as my "tool" belt prevents that.

Comment

Trap soreness goes away as you adapt. Only pain that triggers a reduction in load and volume for me is lower back pain. Honestly, I rarely strain that area now.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
              Not too far ( about 4-5 miles) just trying to get started. I want to start doing some moderate distances on some hills and rocky terrain. Sometimes I am afforded an opportunity to do it while working. Down side is I can't use a pack that straps around the waist as my "tool" belt prevents that.
              Yea, 4-5 miles your traps will adjust. Going without a hip belt will force your traps to “shoulder” the load. That’s the rig I run, no belt.

Comment

My wife and I started rucking this week, I started with 35lbs and she with 15. But we need some good packs! I did 4 miles one day and my waist belt broke on my cheap pack. So far I’ve done about 6 miles.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a couple bags that won’t break the bank?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                  My wife and I started rucking this week, I started with 35lbs and she with 15. But we need some good packs! I did 4 miles one day and my waist belt broke on my cheap pack. So far I’ve done about 6 miles.

For 35# loads, you want something that packs well, has some rigidity along the back and pretty good straps. The 5.11 Rush 12 is what I have and like. Small enough to not sag and big enough to get some weight in it. At $80 or less, I think it is a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post

I had really good luck with a military surplus ruck before I bought a high quality pack. I think I only paid about $40 each for two packs. I did my first GORUCK event with it and it has held up well. Now I loan them to people who go rucking with me.

Comment

Do you know the guy who rucks around the Blanco/Wilderness Oak area? I see a guy rucking carrying an American flag.

Comment

Waiting for my team to show up for the GORUCK Washington DC 50-mile star course. Going to be a long night in the rain. I’ll post pics when I get back to the office Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander View Post
                          Waiting for my team to show up for the GORUCK Washington DC 50-mile star course. Going to be a long night in the rain. I’ll post pics when I get back to the office Monday.
                          Good luck! Enjoy the suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
                            Do you know the guy who rucks around the Blanco/Wilderness Oak area? I see a guy rucking carrying an American flag.
                            Sorry, just seeing this. You sure the guy wasn’t running? There’s a regular in the Stone Oak area who runs with a flag.

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander View Post
                              Man, you’re gonna really embrace the suck tonight. Have fun and post a recap!

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                                Man, you’re gonna really embrace the suck tonight. Have fun and post a recap!
                                Recap

It was a HUGE event. Almost seven hundred people registered, 680 started. It had rained for several days prior, and during the first major movement of about 33 miles up and down the barge canal that leads to Maryland we got three or 4 inches of rain. The path had more water than not, everything was wet, and it was about 55° Off we went at 9pm into the misery with a 20 hour time cap, 17 waypoints to hit and instructions saying that if we navigated perfectly it would be just over 50 miles.

We made it off the barge canal at dawn to start hitting the 15 other points around Washington DC and we’re making pretty good time until about noon when everybody seem to be running on empty. The pace slowed and one of the guys with us with much less experience and conditioning was in really bad shape. About 2 I was certain he was going to drop. We gave him a pep talk, I carried his ruck for a while and gave him a cliff bar for a miraculous rally, but now we were behind the curve on time/miles. We half walked half jogged the last four miles with incredible determination and came into the finish line with just about ten minutes to spare.

Turns out about 35% of the gems and 25%of the people actually finished. Between the weather, the navigation and the miles, it seems a lot of people found a reason to say no mas.

I’m icing my swollen feet and ankles now as I write this and already have a team assembled for the October 50 miler in Dallas. Thank you 1369for introducing me to GORUCK with your write up on the constellation event in New Orleans.

Comment

Working...
                                X