Clear All

Someone call Tim Allen!

Comment

I like your style, Jason!
      Well done!

Comment

Again freaking cool Jason!

Comment

Ran it hard for three days with no major malfunctions. The way I had the dies set up to be interchangeable isn't going to work. It also hit much harder with a bit less space between the dies, but I was out of adjustment range, so I added a block of steel under the bottom die plate. I'll eventually need to lengthen the push arm to make up the adjustment. The weld between the bottom die and die plate cracked a little, and the bolt between the hammer shaft and top dies showed some pretty good wear. Looks like for the short term I'll have to weld up the interchangeable die parts to something more permanent, or at least change how the dies interchange. No structural failures or damage.

Comment

Update. Installed a stiffer spring on the spring pack, and lengthened the push arm. In this video I was forging some 3/8” square down a little further on the tail end of a blacksmith knife. Hammer was hitting so hard I had to slip the clutch a little. Was too smashy

Here’s what I ended up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Thanks for the link

Comment

Pretty slick Jason. Watched forged in fire last night. . .

So close

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Linn makes a knife like that work of art
                    Last edited by moon; 09-06-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                      Well I'll be darned! That's super neat. Is there any way to know how much force it hits with?
                      Just stick your thumb under it, you'll know quick[emoji3]

pray for rain

Comment

Hows the hammer? Still good?

Comment

quiet ingenius!

Comment

That is pretty awesome. I need to use your tire and flywheel idea for some other projects! That dog will hunt!

Comment

Still working well. I've run it 15 hours or so with no major malfunctions. Do have a tack weld on the guide that I need to re-do. Also figured out it likes fresh grease on the guides, but other than that, no problems. I've been slammed busy with Christmas orders, and have a bunch more on tap to get me through March. Between that, writing a book, and four kids, it'll be a little bit before my next major Damascus work.

Comment

I mentioned some issues with the die attachment. Just welding it lasted a while, but eventually there was too much flex in the set up and some of the welds and angle iron were continually coming apart. I rebuilt and reinforced the head.

I’ve been using the hammer every other month or so doing a lot of forge work and Damascus. As with anything you build from junk, there is a little bit of maintenance and repair, but it’s been a great tool!

175 layer billet

A few from this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X