No announcement yet.

Planting trees and habitat improvement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exciting to see progress! I've ordered Mexican white oaks, live oaks, chestnuts, hazelnuts, and honey locusts to reforest some of our place this year.

Comment

I'm thinking about building a water trailer from totes to water our trees with. Here's a quick sketch (sorry bad photo). I'm thinking I'll plumb the drains together and have a single ball valve to open to put water on the ground. I'll extend the operator up on the valve and put a long pole on it so I can open the valve from the seat of the tractor. That way, I can drive next to the tree, open the valve for several seconds, close and move to the next tree all without getting off. I'm all ears if anyone sees a way to improve it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442625022.163494.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	24404650

Comment

Following and Way cool, wish you much success brother.

Comment

I use this pump and a 55 gallon barrel. I hook up garden hose sparyer and waterhose. I'm sure yours would work better.

Comment

Getting deeper...
            Already fishing in my mind. "Their going to be right off that first shelf!"

Comment

Nice! You going to stock it with channel cats and bass?

Comment

maybe should have pond builder pile you up a small hill with all that dirt to use as a back stop for shooting ur rifle and guns. life project. nice work

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post
                  I have been trying to think of where I want that pile, but I'll have one!
                  Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                  I have planted pecan, sawtooth and persimmon trees and lost about 1/2 of what was planted but the ones that have made it look good (about 6 to 7' tall now) going into this fall. Like you I, I built a 3.5 acre pond completed last Nov. Cleared 6and a half acres to get the 3.5 acre pond. It has been a great addition to my place. Not cheep though. But I had my first flight of ducks yesterday set down on the water. Ponds are great if no leaks. Mr Otto will do a good job, he has a good reputation. enjoy
                  Originally posted by CoolArrow View Post
                  maybe should have pond builder pile you up a small hill with all that dirt to use as a back stop for shooting ur rifle and guns. life project. nice work

Comment

Only thing I'm sure of is bass, and a few hybrid bluegill. Still trying to decide.

Comment

We have cats in our ponds and they are fun, especially for the kids, as they come up to the surface to eat food the kids throw out; even up on the beach to get food that the kids drop right on the edge of the water. I set up a feeder for the fish a few months back and they've been gaining weight well. Here's a photo from a couple weeks back, I took the kids to catch their first fish. Had four or five in the bucket in 20 min or so and in the fryer a couple hours later. Great memories. I hadn't been cat fishing in 30 years. I want to build a pier at this pond at some point in the next few years.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443063273.637828.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	24405222

Comment

We have cats in our ponds and they are fun, especially for the kids, as they come up to the surface to eat food the kids throw out; even up on the beach to get food that the kids drop right on the edge of the water. I set up a feeder for the fish a few months back and they've been gaining weight well. Here's a photo from a couple weeks back, I took the kids to catch their first fish. Had four or five in the bucket in 20 min or so and in the fryer a couple hours later. Great memories. I hadn't been cat fishing in 30 years. I want to build a pier at this pond at some point in the next few years.
                        [ATTACH]744657[/ATTACH]
                        I really like fishing for channel cats, but they say stocking both CC and bass are too hard on the forage fish.

Comment

Getting deeper. They brought another 750 dozer in today.

Comment

And deeper

Comment

Comment

With the wife in one for a reference of how deep.

Comment

Working...
                                X