Will He Blow Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will He Blow Up?

Have photos of this buck since he was a 2 year old 10 point in 2012. He's 5 this year and is one of our heaviest hitters at the protein and food plots. Last night I accidently ran across a card from 2013, when he was 3, so I decided to do a split screen. To call him a disappointment is being nice. I mean this is a buck that was one of those 2 year olds that you get excited about & try to protect. What do you think stops this buck from growing bigger antlers? Do you think he will blow up next year at 6? How long would you let a slow grower live/continue to feed on your well managed lease?

Pictured in 2013 @ 3 & 2015 @ 5
    East Texas buck, if that matters
    Attached Files

If that was my place, I'd go ahead and shoot him. He's only grown a few inches in 2 years, doesn't make much sense to keep a feeder hog around if he's not growing. Just my 2 cents, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler's Outdoor View Post
      If that was my place, I'd go ahead and shoot him. He's only grown a few inches in 2 years, doesn't make much sense to keep a feeder hog around if he's not growing. Just my 2 cents, though.
      X2 I know a lot of times buck will start growing more antler once they hit 6.5 and 7.5 but that seems to be more of a south TX thing. I would go ahead and make a reservation in hotel eternity for this buck now.

Comment

It depends what you are wanting to do with your place. I don't see him blowing up if that helps.

Comment

Unless most of your 5 year olds are sporting better racks , I would let him walk.

Comment

Deer stall all the time... And others blow up from no accounts... It's just another reason to use the wait and see approach when culling instead of persecuting native yearlings and 2 year olds based on performance.

Comment

The majority of deer really blow up from 6-7 and that's the case pretty much everywhere. That's the age when the majority of the nutrition goes to antler production. I would give him at least another year.

Comment

Yes he will or did.

Comment

One thing you can be sure is if you kill him now he won't blow up. Give him another couple of years.

Comment

What do yall think a 120" buck @ 5 is capable of in a "few years"? Based on 20" growth in the past 3 years... This is low fence.

Comment

you also have consider what the chances are that we will have another good spring next year with plenty of rain. if he only grew incrementally after the spring we had this year i dont think you will get much more out of him.

Comment

Originally posted by perfectstorm View Post
                        What do yall think a 120" buck @ 5 is capable of in a "few years"? Based on 20" growth in the past 3 years... This is low fence.
                        Not much... he's a pretty average 5 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                          Not much... he's a pretty average 5 year old.
                          Based on our general LF buck population, I would have to agree. If they havnt shown promise by 5, they usually don't turn on at all. He may throw on a kicker or an extra tine on somewhere (sorta like that bump he's putting on) but our native frames don't expand much past 5.5. This is also probably a 145/150# buck, live weight.

He won't be on the top of my radar so if he makes it to 6, he makes it. If the lease behind us get a peep at him, he will die. He's been lucky thus far. He's extremely nocturnal once season comes around. Has been seen 1 time in his life during daylight & that was out in a field with a doe during peak rut.

Comment

Originally posted by perfectstorm View Post
                            Based on our general LF buck population, I would have to agree. If they havnt shown promise by 5, they usually don't turn on at all. He may throw on a kicker or an extra tine on somewhere (sorta like that bump he's putting on) but our native frames don't expand much past 5.5. This is also probably a 145/150# buck, live weight.

He won't be on the top of my radar so if he makes it to 6, he makes it. If the lease behind us get a peep at him, he will die. He's been lucky thus far. He's extremely nocturnal once season comes around. Has been seen 1 time in his life during daylight & that was out in a field with a doe during peak rut.
                            I'd hunt him just for his cape! He's beautiful. Love the white throat.

We don't get that here... (or haven't) we get distinct doubles... but not solids...

Comment

Maybe he is a horn dog and runs himself ragged during the rut, and spends the first part of the spring build back up his body. Might not be the case but could be.....

Comment

Working...
                              X