East Texas Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
    Tyler and the surrounding areas are definitely NICE!!! Lived there for 3 years and bought 40 acres north of I-20 before we moved south. My wife is from deep NE Texas and basically hates it, but she "liked" Tyler but loves down here. I can understand it as she grew up in deep East Texas in the 70's and early 80's......and it is really hard for her to see the "forest for the trees!" Tyler has a exploding med center which has driven heavy retiree traffic to that area...…...which is good. Longview and the surrounding areas are not bad either. Being between DFW and Shreveport gives you lots of options also. Athens and Canton have really changed but that is getting you out of the pineywoods. Nacogdoches being a college town is not a bad choice either...…...

Where in deep Northeast Texas? I grew up in Linden.

Comment

Originally posted by scotth89 View Post
      That place is trash.
      Yup. My sister has lived there for 45 years and I'm hoping she moves when she retires.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Will use several posts for reference as we continue to research!!

Oh, love the hill country as well but talk about elevated pricing, just plain got stupid!!

Comment

We’ve had a place on lake Palestine since 2009. We are 7 miles from Chandler. I enjoy Chandler as it has everything I need and when it doesn’t we head to Tyler. In Tyler there is everything you need from shopping to medical care. Land prices are going up but you can still find good buys. The Henderson county side of things is more affordable than Smith County.

Comment

You could give me 2000 acres with an amazing house in East Texas and I wouldn't live there. Living there once in my life was enough. It's set back in time and not in a good way.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
              You could give me 2000 acres with an amazing house in East Texas and I wouldn't live there. Living there once in my life was enough. It's set back in time and not in a good way.
              And what exact futuristic things are you doing wherever you live that you couldn’t in Tyler or near Tyler?

Comment

I lived in Nacogdoches for 3 years going to the school of forestry. I felt semi claustrophobic the whole time. Loved the Piney woods but having been raised in Wyoming and west Texas I was accustomed to wide vistas. This was not east Texas. I moved.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                  And what exact futuristic things are you doing wherever you live that you couldn’t in Tyler or near Tyler?
                  It's not what I can do it's who and what I can avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                    I am not sure where you lived but everyone there had problems except you? Or was it the few people you had dealings with personally? That is a rather broad brush you are using.

Comment

Try Jacksonville. The real estate prices are not stupid comparatively speaking. Thirty minutes from Tyler and a couple of hours from Dallas (if you just HAVE to go there). Real ET living. Small but not too small.

Comment

Originally posted by TimA View Post
                        Try Jacksonville. The real estate prices are not stupid comparatively speaking. Thirty minutes from Tyler and a couple of hours from Dallas (if you just HAVE to go there). Real ET living. Small but not too small.
                        It's on the list, thanks!

Comment

We retired to a rural area in the pines on a piece of property we have owned for many years. It’s approximately 30 minutes from Lufkin and 40 minutes to Nacogdoches. If I had it to do over and it was my final move I would chose a location with major medical facilities within 30 minutes to an hour drive. Along with medical, closet to shopping and more choices of restaurants for the better half to keep her happy. Imho the Tyler area would be a great choice. Even though we have built a nice retirement home etc, imo we still have one more move before they put me in the ground. Good luck on your hunt for the ideal spot to fit your needs.

Comment

Keep 'em coming all..responses that is! This has really been a big help in our thought process. Thanks GS!!!

Comment

Well I live just outside of Fruitvale. That puts me roughly 60 miles east of Dallas, 10 miles north of Canton, and about 45 miles from Tyler. My mother is from here but the wife and I did not officially live here until a few years ago. Like anywhere there is good and bad about it. Where out house sits is only 50 acres but I have no road frontage and dive through my neighbors place to get back here. It is nice to be secluded but his place...well....when people first come to visit and see his place they expect to hear banjos......We also have a daughter that lives in Brownsboro. All in all it is a great area to live in. If you buy enough land then you do not have to worry about crappy neighbors. I would suggest buying a little more land if you could. You then lease it out to someone raising cows. You get a little money, you get your ag exception, and you get a little more privacy.

-john

Comment

Working...
                              X