Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I'm really not sure what to get but there is no way I can lug around a big heavy tripod like my off brand Manfrotto. Tonight is a good example. I spotted a hog off my back porch down in the pasture at about 350+ yards near the creek. I grabbed my rifle and a monopod and took off through the 3 ft tall wet grass fighting it the whole way. I couldn't walk straight down to him so I ended up walking a good 450+ yards to get down there. 0% chance I could have lugged a huge tripod and I stopped 5-6 times to see if I could get a shot at him off the monopod but I couldn't because of the grass, but that is a whole other story for another time.lol

I guess I'm definitely going to have to do some more research and see what the best lightweight option will be for me. I do admit, it would be nice to have a grip sturdy enough that it would hold my rifle if I did decide to mount it on my big pro tripod.

I'm out tonight using my reaper and SLIK tripod. Weighs about 8 pounds total so it's not too bad. If you leave the gun in it and fold it down then fold the legs up you can carry it all together pretty easy. But if I have to walk much or through heavy stuff I take my tripod trigger sticks.

Works amazing though!

Comment

The 1st pic is legit!

You need to get a DLSR camera and take long exposure night shots. The best pics you will ever see

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
        The 1st pic is legit!

You need to get a DLSR camera and take long exposure night shots. The best pics you will ever see
        Yeah I've been tossing the idea around about getting a D5600 or something to get some better photos.

Comment

In addition to the dog I got last night we also took out two spotted boars. One being a good size boar with lots of character, like split ears and several large scars on his back and sides.

Comment

that last pic is a HOSS....fighting sob

Comment

that last pic is a HOSS....fighting sob

Yes sir he had lots of scars on him and both ears pretty tore up. You could tell he was pretty old. I'm not sure how to go about aging pigs though.

Comment

I have the REAP IR and have the UNV DVR setup. Once used to it, its not a big deal. The quality is good, but not exactly what you see thru the eyepiece.

I have taken 15-20 videos of kills over the last 3 months.

Like he said, the options are extremely limited and this was the best option IMO.

The price of the REAP went up to $8k and now includes more of the DVR stuff for "free"

Thanks guys. Picked up my UNV DVR and cable today and its charging now. Hoping I can figure out how to get everything set up so I can record my hunts this weekend. Ill post up if I do any good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great photos Keaton, those are awesome!

I checked out my pro tripod with the ball head and it weighs 8.3lbs with no rifle grip. It's just too much weight for the type of spot and stalk hunting I'm doing. I'm really interested in the Trigger Sticks just because of the weight and quick/quiet deployment. Would I be able to mount another rifle grip on it like the REAPER, Hog Saddle, M-Lok etc? If so, do you think the Trigger Sticks would hold an AR up in a horizontal position with one of those grips attached?

You seem to have used a lot of these options so I'd prefer to buy once than buy 3 times trying to make something work. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Avezorak View Post
                    Thanks guys. Picked up my UNV DVR and cable today and its charging now. Hoping I can figure out how to get everything set up so I can record my hunts this weekend. Ill post up if I do any good.

Do not overcharge it.
                    45-60 mins max

I checked out my pro tripod with the ball head and it weighs 8.3lbs with no rifle grip. It's just too much weight for the type of spot and stalk hunting I'm doing. I'm really interested in the Trigger Sticks just because of the weight and quick/quiet deployment. Would I be able to mount another rifle grip on it like the REAPER, Hog Saddle, M-Lok etc? If so, do you think the Trigger Sticks would hold an AR up in a horizontal position with one of those grips attached?

You seem to have used a lot of these options so I'd prefer to buy once than buy 3 times trying to make something work. Thanks
                    I have not checked but I know the V head of it unscrews. I wouldn't use it to hold a gun with no hands on it.

Comment

Do not overcharge it.

45-60 minutes max

Thanks man. I had heard that and set a timer. I got everything put together and working and took a couple videos in the yard. Its kind of a pita to find a place to put that dvr thats not in the way but I got it figured out.

Leaving early tomorrow to head south with my Reap-IR on my 300BO SBR and a MK3-35mm Hunter on one of my 5.56 ARs. We are gonna burn some batteries on the thermals and the Foxpro this weekend. Looking forward to it. I think the next thing is gonna be a PVS-14 on a TW Bump helmet. Should make spot n stalk a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Avezorak View Post
                        Thanks man. I had heard that and set a timer. I got everything put together and working and took a couple videos in the yard. Its kind of a pita to find a place to put that dvr thats not in the way but I got it figured out.

Leaving early tomorrow to head south with my Reap-IR on my 300BO SBR and a MK3-35mm Hunter on one of my 5.56 ARs. We are gonna burn some batteries on the thermals and the Foxpro this weekend. Looking forward to it. I think the next thing is gonna be a PVS-14 on a TW Bump helmet. Should make spot n stalk a lot easier.

Yes it will!

I also run a REAP IR. Been using my .223 but will be switching to my new .300 BO also.

Seen some good deals on brand new 308's I want to buy

Comment

Keaton, which model of SLIK tripod did you go with ? Like that setup!

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                            Keaton, which model of SLIK tripod did you go with ? Like that setup!
                            It's the pro 700dx. I'm really liking it. Extremely heavy duty. Strong enough to hold my 11 pound 308 and that ~25-30 pound dog.

Comment

When you first hold the tripod by itself you think theres no way you'd want to carry it very far. But I found it to not be so bad at all. I carried it for a 300 yard stalk across a harvested wheat field and didn't hate it. Now the trigger sticks are easier..but the tripod wasn't bad at all. Just clamp the rifle in and have the legs already extended to the length you want and then fold them in and point the gun down. When you get where you're going to shoot you just fold the legs out and get the rifle up. Takes all of 2-3 seconds. And with my trigger sticks I get the length I want them at before I get to the hogs because they all don't like to extended at the same speed or ease. So even with the trigger sticks I need to fold the legs out when I get there.

But yes the trigger stick tripod does have a 3/8-16 bolt and a 1/4-20 bolt where you cold attach the grip to. But it just does not seem very sturdy. But I'll give it a try tonight! It might work ok for my SBR that doesn't weigh much but I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable using my AR308.

Comment

Im still not crazy about where the DVR is mounted but it will do for now.

Comment

Working...
                                X