Pasture waterline project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasture waterline project

I am getting ready to run water out to my cow pens. It’s appropriately a hundred yards. This will save me trailering water when I have the need to keep an animal contained.

I welcome any tips or suggestions on the project. I am going to tie in at my shop/barn where I have city water supply (PVC) and a shutoff valve.

Bury it deep enough that when it gets muddy they can’t step on pipe

Comment

homedepot trencher rental 199 a day. Go deep and use 3/4 in PVC. Should be pretty inexpensive project.

Comment

Thought about using PEX? Bury it deep. Stay away from the roads. Rent a trencher. Use Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue, if using PVC. Add separate brass shut-off valve for that circuit. Use copper or galvanized above ground for hose bib. Add extra hose bib(s) along the way for future use.

Comment

Make sure you mark it someway or take pictures so if you ever need to find it again. Go bigger than you think with pipe and plenty of cut offs.

Comment

Bury it deep as you can with the ditch witch. Put a shutoff on both ends. Put it in a place where it will see low traffic, wont get driven on by vehicles. It is worth going around or making it longer to avoid getting run over as that will eventually break it out. Go get the pvc from a plumbing supply store that has the collars built into the pipe. Not home depot or lowes variety. Mark your valves and line if possible or put it in a spot where you will remember it. Cutting across a pasture can be a pain later if you have to find it again. Also if you ever want to work it for something other than cows could be an issue later compared to be stuck on the edge of a road or fence. Put your hose bibs in a spot where the cows cant get to them and wrap all exposed pipe with insulation and then a good cover of pipe wrap tape to keep from freezing and having uv degradation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fantastic tips. Thanks so much. I was not sure if PVC was the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                Thought about using PEX? Bury it deep. Stay away from the roads. Rent a trencher. Use Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue, if using PVC. Add separate brass shut-off valve for that circuit. Use copper or galvanized above ground for hose bib. Add extra hose bib(s) along the way for future use.

I hate pex it always leaks and causes issues. If going to go that route lay down poly pipe and be done with it.

Forgot to mention earlier if your in super rocky ground I would add a layer of good dirt or sand in the trench lay your pipe then cover it with couple inches of good dirt/sand then burry. Will keep rocks from eventually wearing a hole in your line as it expands and contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you have a tractor? If so, you could get a sub soiler attachment for <$200 and lay poly pipe in about 15 minutes. Lots of videos online on how to do it (assuming the soil isn't really rocky). Otherwise rent a trencher and the longest pvc sticks you can find/transport. Assemble the pvc above ground and then roll it into the trench - don't bother trying to glue in the trench. Pex is an option, although i'm not sure how it does buried.

Comment

My ground is soft. All clay so that is not an issue. I have a nice 45 HP tractor

Comment

Do you have a barn that you can catch the water from? Make you a rain catcher!

Comment

Black poly pipe! 100’ rolls. Less joints , wont crack, more freeze resistant than pvc

Comment

Originally posted by sticks View Post
                          Black poly pipe! 100’ rolls. Less joints , wont crack, more freeze resistant than pvc
                          This for sure

Comment

Are you only running one straight line?

Comment

Poly pipe is great AS long as you don't have gophers, if you have them then go with pvc.

Comment

Working...
                              X