No announcement yet.

Generator help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can make or have made some junction boxes, like a 4 gang box with the plug into one of the 20 or 30 amp outlets. This way you have more options to plug in items. Just don't over load the circuit.

Comment

I bought a 10kwatt powerland brand one that runs off natural gas. I have a quick disconnect a few feet off the gas meter. I would not want to be chasing down gas while I need it. This will run a small A.C. for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
        I bought a 10kwatt powerland brand one that runs off natural gas. I have a quick disconnect a few feet off the gas meter. I would not want to be chasing down gas while I need it. This will run a small A.C. for sure.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerland...000E/203608220

Will for sure look for a set up like that. I bet in a ,oath or two I can get a good deal on one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          Will for sure look for a set up like that. I bet in a ,oath or two I can get a good deal on one.

If you have my luck and buy it after the storm it will sit in your garage and collect dust for several years. [emoji12]

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerland...000E/203608220

I'm gonna have to check this out.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
              Didn't back feed just plugged in to the generator. I do have heavy cords that I can use it I decide to rig up to back feed

The concern's not the gauge of the cords, it's the main breaker is what is between your generator and potentially killing a lineman doing repairs who thinks the wire is dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TallTexan View Post
                I would like to hear some real time info on running propane. I read somewhere a 20# tank is equivalent to 5 gallons of gas.

As far a generator goes, buy big enough so you can closer to 50% or less power. That should help conserve fuel.
                My 6500 is Honda running 1 8,000 Btu window unit, 1 energy efficient freezer 1 side by side refrigerator TV a few lights and at times microwave, coffee pot, you get the idea. Will run 10 to 12 hrs on a gas grill size bottle. My generator has the eco throttle so it changes speed depending on load.

Comment

Generator help.

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                  The concern's not the gauge of the cords, it's the main breaker is what is between your generator and potentially killing a lineman doing repairs who thinks the wire is dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gauge should be some concern. Its not good for someone trying to feed the panel with a 14ga cord.

Your main point is spot on. Making sure the main disconnect is off is the first step.
                  Last edited by TallTexan; 09-03-2017, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 14JKURX View Post
                    My 6500 is Honda running 1 8,000 Btu window unit, 1 energy efficient freezer 1 side by side refrigerator TV a few lights and at times microwave, coffee pot, you get the idea. Will run 10 to 12 hrs on a gas grill size bottle. My generator has the eco throttle so it changes speed depending on load.

That is a good number.

Comment

Working...
                    X