Vanilla and Evercalm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So let me get this straight?

For years here we have been told that vanilla needed to be conditioned into our deer's corn or the area over time so that when we sprayed it on ourselves they did not freak out because it was a new smell. It was to be a smell they were conditioned too as food or not threatening while they ate. Now we are being told that we can just spray it on anytime, walk in the woods one weekend and mature bucks will now close the distance they have been hanging at for all the previous hunts?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      So let me get this straight?

For years here we have been told that vanilla needed to be conditioned into our deer's corn or the area over time so that when we sprayed it on ourselves they did not freak out because it was a new smell. It was to be a smell they were conditioned too as food or not threatening while they ate. Now we are being told that we can just spray it on anytime, walk in the woods one weekend and mature bucks will now close the distance they have been hanging at for all the previous hunts?

Considering I started this two weeks prior to hunting by spraying the corn, I’d say it’s a pretty effective method. Me as well as multiple others have not had much luck getting in range of solid bucks on our place in Woodville in the whole time I’ve been on the place. (13 years) I had 3 deer within spitting range of me in my pop-up this weekend, when usually they scent you long before you ever see them. I picked this us from Gar Guys thread on pressured deer, so you can nay say all you want, but then again we aren’t hunting San Angelo deer[emoji106][emoji2533]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
        Considering I started this two weeks prior to hunting by spraying the corn, I’d say it’s a pretty effective method. Me as well as multiple others have not had much luck getting in range of solid bucks on our place in Woodville in the whole time I’ve been on the place. (13 years) I had 3 deer within spitting range of me in my pop-up this weekend, when usually they scent you long before you ever see them. I picked this us from Gar Guys thread on pressured deer, so you can nay say all you want, but then again we aren’t hunting San Angelo deer[emoji106][emoji2533]

Well while you were licking vanilla off your windows you forgot to mention the corn part prior to the hunts... I would have not commented otherwise..

Good luck on shooting the smartest deer in the whole wide world..

Last edited by Smart; 11-05-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Well while you were licking vanilla off your windows you forgot to mention the corn part prior to the hunts... I would have not comment otherwise..

Thanks I appreciate it[emoji106][emoji2533]

Comment

None because I didn’t see this one.
            Check the next post for pics of deer I saw this weekend.

Thats awesome! When I read his post I thought,what a dipstick!

Comment

Tried the vanilla this weekend, as well as evercalm. Sprayed everything down with vanilla including my pop-up, release and bow sling, boots too. When I got to my parking spot I would coat the edges and bottoms of my boots with a layer of evercalm, as well as my pop-up window openings. Skittish east Texas Deer couldn’t even tell I was there. Multiple mature shooters in range throughout the weekend and never got busted bc of scent. Had three deer within 5 yards of my pop-up including an old doe, which usually I cannot get a deer to even come into a set-up with a pip-up blind. Anyways, take this as you wish but it’s a success from me[emoji106][emoji2533][emoji106][emoji2533]

awesome, thank you!

Comment

Wait...……..we are supposed to spray the corn with vanilla?

Bwaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha.

Comment

I sprayed myself liberally with a very strong mixture of vanilla extract and water before walking to the blind. A little forky followed a nubbin buck to my blind while the nubber was sniffing my vanilla trail to where I am. Forky even licked the stairs. Neither spooked and and approached downwind of me. Impressive.

Comment

I've been using evercalm, for years when it was first called "deer herd on a stick".
                    As you have discovered, it really works. About ten years ago or better, I had a young buck so close to my pop up, I could have reached out of the window(it was closed) and patted him on the but. He never had a clue.
                    I never leave camp without it! Oh, I didn't mention I just bought a stick a couple of hours ago [emoji3]

Comment

I use vanilla as well. I dump a whole bottle in a sprayer then dilute with distilled water. Works really well and I put it on everything.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                        I've used Evercalm many times with success around what are typically skittish deer.

A word of caution: **DO NOT LEAVE IT IN THE CAR, IT MELTS** One late October weekend I left my pack in the truck and the pocket that had the stick of Evercalm in it wasn't zipped all the way...well the truck got a bit warm that afternoon and the stuff melted all over the seat. Clean all you want but you'll never get that smell out...it's been 6 years and when the humidity is just right my truck reeks of it.

Borrow a friends Ozonics and run it in your room truck? Just a thought?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have to admit, this made me laugh. Good luck OP in getting your target.

Comment

What are y’all using as a ratio mix of vanilla to water for spray?

Comment

in the HC I rub myself with cedar and have had them close enough to knife them.

Comment

I use ever calm & Nose Jammer. Smells like vanilla

Comment

Working...
                                X