Unhuntable deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
    I've got 5 (3 are at or above 140 to 160 ) bucks in a bachelor group that are hitting my feeder about an hour after dark and then staying bedded down somewhere within a 20 acre piece of property until they return to the feeder at about 5 am and have been staying until almost 7 am.
    How do you know where they are bedding down? have you observed them in person?

The biggest problem I have is... I have 22 acres of wide open hay field surround by a couple hundred acres of cross fenced hay fields. I have no idea why the bucks are hanging out on my place or how I will get set up on them inside of 20 yds with zero cover.
    They are on your place on camera because you have a feeder and are feeding them (I am guessing based on the game pics you have provided. I know this sounds terribly obvious, but do you have evidence that you actually have cover for them to bed down... or water for them to drink, etc? All of that stuff is important and I can't seem to paint a good description of the property based on your post. If you don't have any of that additional cover/water... then they are mostly likely just there to eat.

And if they are just there to eat, then that is an important thing to note. You need to figure out where they would come from, etc.

Also, I know hindsight is 20/20, but I don't bother corning a place that I don't already have a setup in mind ahead of time. I have been in a similar situation however where I can't move the feeder and I have had to be creative in getting close. In some cases, just putting a blind out in the open and leaving it there for a long time helps... although the deer eventually figure out how to circle the darned thing, etc. The other tactic is to hand corn a spot near the feeder but in a better location for an ambush. Deer will find it pretty darn quick because they are already in the area due to the feeder.

In your situation, I might just consider moving the feeder to a better location where you can get a better setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
      Bucks love tall grass and bedding on a slight rise. It may sound stupid to some but you need to start frequenting the area. Once the bucks get used to your scent, they won't pay you much mind. You need to look close for a very heavy trail seperate from what the other deer are using.

Many times what people would call zero cover is the best cover, especially with light colored clothing.
      This type of hunting is exhilarating and requires a new game plan.

FWIW, I only use natural clothing materials in this environment and no synthetic blinds. Those bucks can be very sporting.

If you have to get elevated for the best "rifle shot" chance for your daughter, you can rig up some kind of a blind on a tractor away from the trails. It has to be a tractor or farm implement of some sort.

Where I may differ from the opinions of others is, I've never seen the pattern of a mature buck in grass change. The scenerio coupled with their age, is the "pattern change".

Best of luck

A few links on the subject:

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.co...orgotten_0110/
      Yes I've watched them feed in the dark, move away and then I've found them bedded on multiple different locations on my place at night. I have been purposely bumping into them in the dark from a distance for several days now and it doesn't seem to have changed their pattern.

I hunt a bow only country so rifle shot is out.

Biggest problem I have now id's new construction to the north of me and a lot of rain that had prevented me from keeping corn out. Plus a giant hog that loves soured corn

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        How do you know where they are bedding down? have you observed them in person?

They are on your place on camera because you have a feeder and are feeding them (I am guessing based on the game pics you have provided. I know this sounds terribly obvious, but do you have evidence that you actually have cover for them to bed down... or water for them to drink, etc? All of that stuff is important and I can't seem to paint a good description of the property based on your post. If you don't have any of that additional cover/water... then they are mostly likely just there to eat.

And if they are just there to eat, then that is an important thing to note. You need to figure out where they would come from, etc.

Also, I know hindsight is 20/20, but I don't bother corning a place that I don't already have a setup in mind ahead of time. I have been in a similar situation however where I can't move the feeder and I have had to be creative in getting close. In some cases, just putting a blind out in the open and leaving it there for a long time helps... although the deer eventually figure out how to circle the darned thing, etc. The other tactic is to hand corn a spot near the feeder but in a better location for an ambush. Deer will find it pretty darn quick because they are already in the area due to the feeder.

In your situation, I might just consider moving the feeder to a better location where you can get a better setup.

I have 22 acres of wide open pasture minus a few trees beside my house and along the fence rows. Thinking I will move the feeder close to my hay bales or possibly move the hay bales to the feeder

Comment

I think I crossed my responses but it still makes sense I guess. With the weather and construction issue I haven't seen the bucks in over a week, but I'm hopeful that they will show back up soon. I think I have narrowed it down add to where they are coming into and leading my property. If it goes as planned I'm going to create a more concurrent place for them to cross the fence that just happens to be in a lot more Huntable area

Comment

I am thinking this is a solo operation. The two person theory on the op is a bad idea IMHO. If you are able to catch them on Oct 1 and they haven't gone their separate ways you are still dealing with several mature deer at close range. This with two people and lack of cover and the added scent will drop a grenade on your chances of success. Again just my thoughts and anything can happen! Good Luck!

Comment

Great ideas. To summarize:
              1) Hay bale blind

2) Or don't hunt the feeder-glass and set up plan for path to feeder
              3) Save your $$$ and put out your own hay bales
              4) you might also consider digging a shallow hole in that cover (b/h deer in pics) for a natural ground blind

This has the makings for Texas Trophy Hunter magazine article. Accept the challenge. Good luck.

Comment

Little update......They are back! Been gone for almost a full week. But camera shows them back 2 nights in a row

Comment

nice deer

Comment

Tagged

Comment

I'd keep feeding them, and running your camera, but leave them alone for the most part right now. Maybe try and set something up away from the feeder with some hand scattered corn and wait and hunt it when the wind is right. Is there any cover or terrain where the deer can't circle behind you on a south wind, because that's what we predominately have early season. Or you could have a North wind setup. Just make sure and only hunt it when the wind is right, and get into your setup super early like others have said. I'd try and hunt away from the feeder over hand scattered corn. I wouldn't put in a cheapy store bought blind that sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe go ahead and stack a couple of round bales close together and use natural brush to brush in a blind leaving you a little hole to shoot through. I wouldn't use anything that didn't look natural and blend in to the surroundings. Even a hay bale blind can stick out if it looks different from all the other hay bales. Definitely a solo operation if your serious about getting one of the older bucks.
                      Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 08-23-2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 08-23-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

DIY hay bale blind

Comment

Own any night vision?

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
                              Own any night vision?
                              Spotlight is way cheaper...

Comment

Couple of them are hard horned now, and have already stopped frequenting the feeder as often as they were. Figured this happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X