No announcement yet.

The best SUV ranch ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 4runner, limited with all option from 97, was a GREAT lease ride, even drove it daily for a while. Timing belt, real axle bearings etc, brakes and everything else i fixed before I sold it was about 2k to get it right. It had 193k on it though. It would go pretty much anywhere you pointed the front end, muddy, rocky, didnt matter in that thing, but parts are expensive when it comes time for them.

I have started building a cherokee that had a pretty good start already, cheap to work on, can do just about anything to it mechanically wise since its such a basic system. Mostly bought it to tow behind since I couldnt tow the 4runner 4 down. If i could have id of never sold it.

Comment

I would like to get another 4Runner/ Land Cruiser
      I have a project jeep Waggoner and want to sell it as I don't need a hi rack any more

Comment

Ford Bronco. Our 88 is still going strong and the short wheel base is great for getting around in the pasture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

If money isn’t an option, they do make a Polaris ranger with heat and air. Ranger HVAC model. Think it’s around $25k fully loaded. John Deere came out with a new model like this as well. Also heard the Polaris general can be had with heat/air but it’s not a full cab so that won’t work well.
          Biggest advantage of going with UtV is weight. An SUV is nice but sometimes weight is a factor depending on your terrain and mud.

Comment

I've got an '85 Montero. 4x4, Heat, AC, keeps you dry too. It's a 2 door but will go through anything and has never been stuck or broke down on me. We have muddy pastures and creek we have to drive through. Best part was it only cost me $500 then I put mud tires on that cost more than the Montero. Been using it on the lease since 2012. If it died tomorrow, I'd say I got my money's worth.

Comment

Jeep Cherokee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought about this several times since my original response!

Honestly, I can layer up, wear goggles or raise the windshield but I still like the flexibility of a UTV. Yep...cold or hot but if I want to drive around town and be comfortable I'll stay home. My TBH son and his wife like the AC/Heat...reduced "dust" driving the ranch roads in their ole' 4 wheeler lease truck....but for me...I really enjoy the OPEN feeling of a UTV or even a ATV in "the country." I also enjoy getting out of the stand and just sitting on a sendero or break to see what will venture out in the Ranger. If you are in ANY truck, SUV, then it's hard to get shots from different angles. When I take our old lease Ranger out, I can just sit and watch "thru" the front or sides and have ALMOST as many angles than sitting in my blind?

I can haul all the feed I can handle and besides...the Grandkids have a Hell of a lot more fun in the Ranger than a Truck or Suv. Works for me, but I always seem to walk a different path...just enjoy! (Here's a photo touched pic my Daughter in Law took this past season....but it's a reason to use what I prefer.)
                Attached Files

Comment

4Runner

Comment

Ford excursion. I can haul 7 people and 1000lbs of feed. Cold a/c and hot heat. I’m selling my old one to build a new one with a high rack on it.

Comment

I would say 4runner or 2003-up tahoe/Yukon. Both will run forever. I drive in the woods so much my daily driver is a 2004 Denali, with the 6.0L and AWD, I just put a little lift on it and will drive it toll wheels fall off.

Comment

try to find a 4door Suzuki side kick with 4x4. so quite and really smooth over bumps. if you want a truck the the ford explorer is a grea t little truck that can do it all and be super quite.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                          I thought about this several times since my original response!

Honestly, I can layer up, wear goggles or raise the windshield but I still like the flexibility of a UTV. Yep...cold or hot but if I want to drive around town and be comfortable I'll stay home. My TBH son and his wife like the AC/Heat...reduced "dust" driving the ranch roads in their ole' 4 wheeler lease truck....but for me...I really enjoy the OPEN feeling of a UTV or even a ATV in "the country." I also enjoy getting out of the stand and just sitting on a sendero or break to see what will venture out in the Ranger. If you are in ANY truck, SUV, then it's hard to get shots from different angles. When I take our old lease Ranger out, I can just sit and watch "thru" the front or sides and have ALMOST as many angles than sitting in my blind?

I can haul all the feed I can handle and besides...the Grandkids have a Hell of a lot more fun in the Ranger than a Truck or Suv. Works for me, but I always seem to walk a different path...just enjoy! (Here's a photo touched pic my Daughter in Law took this past season....but it's a reason to use what I prefer.)
                          I understand the outdoor feel, I had many Samurai's over the years and most were stripped down, no doors, tops and folding windshield, had 1 - 2 door sidekick. My biggest issue with the UTV's is the noise or at least the ones I have been in were loud. Loud enough where a conversation was impossible while traveling. Then you do have to bundle up in the cold and get a face full of dust/dirt in the summer. I want to move away from that. There have been several SUV's mentioned that I forgot about or never considered TBH. I want a decent 4 door ride that I can take family/friends for a ride around our place. I currently use my truck but you always chance getting a flat or blowing a tire out, then having to mess with that. Reading some of the posts, I think a Tahoe/Expedition/Durango/Suburban are options. Price and condition will be king, plus I am in no hurry. Thanks to the suggestions here, my options have grown from what I had been thinking about. Whatever I get will be a dedicated ranch ride with foam filled tires.
                          Last edited by brushtrooper; 03-15-2018, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                            I understand the outdoor feel, I had many Samurai's over the years and most were stripped down, no doors, tops and folding windshield, had 1 - 2 door sidekick. My biggest issue with the UTV's is the noise or at least the ones I have been in were loud. Loud enough where a conversation was impossible while traveling. Then you do have to bundle up in the cold and get a face full of dust/dirt in the summer. I want to move away from that. There have been several SUV's mentioned that I forgot about or never considered TBH. I want a decent 4 door ride that I can take family/friends for a ride around our place. I currently use my truck but you always chance getting a flat or blowing a tire out, then having to mess with that. Reading some of the posts, I think a Tahoe/Expedition/Durango/Suburban are options. Price and condition will be king, plus I am in no hurry. Thanks to the suggestions here, my options have grown from what I had been thinking about. Whatever I get will be a dedicated ranch ride with foam filled tires.
                            I agree on the "loud" and if I ever buy a utv it will probably be either a ranger ev or a bad boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              Isuzu trooper... ugly.... cheap... surprisingly unstoppable off-road

Just one of many options
                              I second this all the way. I regret getting rid of mine every time i'm at the lease. This was the very best ranch ride i've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                                I sold my mule last year and picked up a 2001 Pathfinder 4x4 with a 5 speed tranny and manual t-case. I replace the front drive axels (boots were cracked) and went ahead and put new ball joints and a 3" lift with new shocks all the way around. Built front and rear receiver hitches, added lights. feeder and rear rack and od green top coat......got less than $3K out of pocket. Ac/Heat. closed cabin, power windows, plenty of room to keep all my gear clean and dry. So much more comfortable. To heck with a 4-wheeler / utv!
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	Ogre 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	24534094

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ogre 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	24534095

Comment

Working...