• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once Again, Mike Rowe Gets It

From his FB feed

Originally posted by Mike Rowe
    Off The Wall

Barry Stout‎ writes... OMG did you have a chat with the President and Ivanka? I was just listening to the announcement and presser about 6 million open jobs in the country...Who knew?!

Ken Lucke writes... Did you write the comments for Sec. Acosta this morning? He sounded almost like you in his push for apprenticeship and vocational training. Your thoughts?

Sean Brink‎ writes...Thought I'd share this article with you, in case you hadn't seen it. Sounds encouraging towards your pursuit. Ivanka Trump: CEOs can’t fill 6 million jobs, more skill-based training needed Jun 12, 2017 10:02am

Gentlemen -

It’s been very gratifying, (and maybe a little vindicating,) to hear so much talk about the skills gap over the last 48 hours. To answer your question, Barry, yes - I did meet with some people from The White House a few weeks ago. I happened to be in DC when I got an email inviting me to discuss mikeroweWORKS with the Assistant to the President and Director of the Office of Public Liaison. George Sifakis and his team were kind enough to meet me at my hotel in Georgetown, where I shared with them my belief that closing the skills gap will only happen if we reinvigorate the trades, and make a more persuasive case for the jobs themselves. George and his team were very engaged, very complimentary, and very interested in hearing about the many success stories we’d seen that start with the mastery of a skill. It was a great meeting, and I was flattered they reached out.

Obviously, I would never presume that my comments had any impact on the current media blitz around closing the skills gap, or the current push for vocational education. I’m not the only one beating this drum, and I seriously doubt that The White House is looking to my Facebook page for talking points and analysis. But...if they are, (Ha!) here's some completely unsolicited advice, along with a prediction...

In the coming days, the conversation around the skills gap is going to evolve from the existence of six million jobs, (which will shock many,) to the reasons why six million jobs currently exist. This is because the country is sharply divided between those who believe opportunity is dead, and those who do not. Consequently, the skills gap gets very political very quickly. Let’s start with conservatives.

On the Far Right, many believe that people are fundamentally lazy. These people will use the existence of six million jobs to underscore their belief. They’ll say things like, “See? The opportunities are there. If you’re willing to work hard, there’s no limit to how far you can go.” Many conservatives like to talk about the traits of the individual, not the job. Implicit in their argument is the assumption that all unemployed people lack ambition - especially those on government assistance. Consequently, many conservatives will use the skills gap to attack the character of millions of people they’ve never met, and in the process, make all sorts of unfair generalizations about the poor.

On the other hand, those on the Far Left tend to believe that people are fundamentally greedy. These people will use the existence of six million jobs to underscore this belief. They’ll say things like, “Vacant jobs are nothing more than a reflection of supply and demand. If employers offer more money, the gap will close.” Liberals like to talk about the traits of the job, not the individual. They separate “good jobs” from “bad jobs,” and define both on a sliding scale. Implicit in their argument, is the assumption that vacant jobs remain vacant because they’re simply not worth having. Consequently, many liberals will attack the legitimacy of millions of jobs they’ve never held, and in the process, make all sorts of unfair generalizations about the wealthy.

Please don’t let either group hijack the conversation. Remember, most people don't live on the far left or the far right. It only feels that way, because those people are so **** noisy. Most people are somewhere in the middle. They just want to make an honest living, doing something that allows them to prosper. In many cases, that dream starts by mastering a skill - something far to few understand today.

To close the skills gap, we need to focus on debunking the stigmas and stereotypes that routinely discourage millions of people from exploring millions of available opportunities. We need to challenge the obscene cost of a four-year degree, and the absurd notion that the most expensive form of education is the best path for the most people. At base, we need to make a more compelling case for jobs that actually exist. My advice? Find skilled workers who have mastered a trade and used that trade to prosper. (They're everywhere.) Tell their stories to a national audience in a completely non-partisan way. Show America that it’s still possible to prosper by mastering a skill that’s in demand.

In a very modest way, this is what we do at mikeroweWORKS. We offer scholarships to people who demonstrate the kind of work ethic we’d like to encourage, and choose to pursue a skill that’s in demand. Then, we share their stories. At base, mikeroweWORKS is a PR campaign for skilled labor - one that takes many different shapes. Most recently, I’ve appeared in five, ninety second videos on this very topic which have so far reached more than 130 million people. These little videos work, in a big way. They get people thinking and talking about career options they’d never considered. If I can reach that many people from my kitchen table, I suspect you guys can reach a whole lot more from 1600.
    Bottom line - I know for a fact that hard work combined with the mastery of a skill can lead to a six-figure income in just a few years. I’ve seen welders, plumbers, electricians, and HVAC technicians start their careers with a skill, and quickly morph into a successful small business. Their stories are important. Find them. Tell them. Share them. And let me know if I can help.

And that, as my grandfather used to say, is “another country heard from.”

Mike

I'm a huge fan of Mike Rowe. The man is on the right track.

Some folks need four year and post graduate degrees - my daughter, going into nursing and specializing in cardiac care is one of 'em. Gig 'em, kid.

But Rowe is correct that we shouldn't insist that a degree is necessary for everyone. spending money we don't have on kids who can't pay it back to be educated for jobs that no longer exist is just a waste.

I know guys who are Master plumbers and electrians and own their own businesses. They offer great pay and still can't find good help. We need to be training electricians, welders, plumbers, HVAC people and prepare them to have great careers doing meaningful work.

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
      I'm a huge fan of Mike Rowe. The man is on the right track.

Some folks need four year and post graduate degrees - my daughter, going into nursing and specializing in cardiac care is one of 'em. Gig 'em, kid.

But Rowe is correct that we shouldn't insist that a degree is necessary for everyone. spending money we don't have on kids who can't pay it back to be educated for jobs that no longer exist is just a waste.

I know guys who are Master plumbers and electrians and own their own businesses. They offer great pay and still can't find good help. We need to be training electricians, welders, plumbers, HVAC people and prepare them to have great careers doing meaningful work.
      But, but I thought robots were taking over all the manual/sweaty jobs?? Anyone with the skills posted above will always, always be able to find work and make money. College is not for everyone, nor is is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
        But, but I thought robots were taking over all the manual/sweaty jobs?? Anyone with the skills posted above will always, always be able to find work and make money. College is not for everyone, nor is is necessary.
        Even if robots do take over. Who fixes the robots? At some point, there will be a human interface. Just different interface.

Comment

I have no real college and I am fairing out ok. Just started at the bottom, worked hard, took note of what it was going to take to get to the next level , worked hard at that...and repeat. Also to take note of how the people in the next level (or on top) interacted with others, handled stressful situations and made sure I understood why they came to the conclusion they came to when I disagreed.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            Even if robots do take over. Who fixes the robots? At some point, there will be a human interface. Just different interface.
            At some point the robots will fix the robots , lol.

Mike Rowe is the man
            Last edited by Leaverrite; 06-13-2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

If we are to fix the illegal immigration problem in this country, some of these younger guys are gonna have to get dirty and sweat instead of punch a keyboard for a living. Not many of them want to nowadays in my observation. It's probably more a matter of "want to" rather than skills IMO. If you don't want to do a certain job, you won't ever aquire the skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                If we are to fix the illegal immigration problem in this country, some of these younger guys are gonna have to get dirty and sweat instead of punch a keyboard for a living. Not many of them want to nowadays in my observation. It's probably more a matter of "want to" rather than skills IMO. If you don't want to do a certain job, you won't ever aquire the skills.
                Yup. And they don't want to because their parents taught them its bad to get their hands dirty. I know there are plenty of people who think that jobs where people get their hands dirty are for other peoples kids, not their own. However, when a kid has gotten B's all their high school career, college isn't for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  I have no real college and I am fairing out ok. Just started at the bottom, worked hard, took note of what it was going to take to get to the next level , worked hard at that...and repeat. Also to take note of how the people in the next level (or on top) interacted with others, handled stressful situations and made sure I understood why they came to the conclusion they came to when I disagreed.
                  I like every bit of this! With or without a degree this is spot on.

Comment

I started out working with my hands. Poor folks kids didn't go to college. Both my parents dropped out of school. Dad in 6th grade, mom in 10th. I was lucky enough to get a job with a company that paid for school tuition-IF YOU PASSED WITH A B OR BETTER!! Motivation for sure. I went into the engineering profession with a 4 year degree. At 66, I'm still at it. Long story short here. The degree helped, but I was doing fine before I got it. The maintenance guys at work make about as much as I do, more with overtime even. Plumbers, electricians, welders and machinists are the hardest jobs to fill and the highest paid skilled trades around. Everybody isn't cut out for college. Someone has to fix the pipes and run the wires, and build the widgets that keep industry and the world running.

Comment

Once Again, Mike Rowe Gets It

I am a fan of Mike Rowe, and I believe most of what he said is true.

I'm also a business owner struggling to hire people. Not decent people, not skilled people, not educated people...

We struggle to find 21 year olds (insurance won't let anyone younger drive), who will show up for 12 bucks an hour to sweep the floor while we teach him to drive a forklift, and hang around long enough to learn a "skill"at which they could make 20$.,

IMO the biggest problem is that most people aren't willing to stick with anything long enough to move up. They want it all right now, or they can go flip burgers for 13$ an hour, which is NOT A SKILL, I don't care what anyone says.

I don't know the solution, but WANT TO is the problem. I'll teach any fool with a clean driving record a skill on my dime...if they'll just show up! I have a salesman who makes more than I do now, and I hired him 8 years ago to sweep the warehouse floor.

Lower minimum wage, quit the handouts, and people will eventually go to work....at least those who don't decide to just steal more stuff

My 6 year old shows all the signs of being sharp as a tack, he's a heck of a ball player, won a bunch of awards at his kindergarten, and has good manners. But by god if if hairlips the pope and ****s me from now on....he WILL learn how to work, like it or not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Dale Moser; 06-13-2017, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Hired on as a millwright helper straight out of high school in 83 then after a few layoffs went to TSTI for industrial mechanics and graduated in 88 and went straight into a job starting at 16 an hour plus benefits and OT. I have been working for the same plant for 29 plus years in rotating equipment repair group in some fashion. I am now working on a temp assignment in Saudi Arabia making a lot of cash, my point is working as a tradesman you can make a very good living.

Comment

Working...
                        X