Texas Trophy Hunters Association

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    It's just a published rag of an organization that has done more to harm deer hunting in Texas than any other single thing, ever! They are the reason everyone jumps on a guy for posting up a nice young buck he killed that should have "given him 3 more years", or "what a shame to shoot that deer"... Wanna know why deer leases are $12-$20/acre and up... TTHA...
    They flat ruined deer hunting for the average guy in Texas... No different that BASS has almost made it a crime to catch a bass and fillet it... CCA's gettin' that way with trout n reds....

All these organizations had a good start and purpose, but just like trade unions, they've outlived their usefulness and gone completely overboard...
    OK, Off my soapbox now... Y'all carry on...
    dang. missed this post. this absolutely nails it.

Comment

When every article became " look at what Dr. so and so shot " I was out..

Comment

Man, all these posts are exactly my exact sentiment.

Loved the mag in the ‘90’s but can’t stand it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

this
          Attached Files

Comment

I agree that TTHA had a LOT to do with the promotion of the deer breeding businesses and it can be argued that these operations have hurt deer hunting in Texas. I had a meeting with the folks at TTHA and voiced the concerns that most of you have stated and here is what I learned.
            The magazine has more articles from members and wanting more, almost no ads from deer breeders and looking to go to shorter articles to hold the interest of millennials whose attention span is not very long.
            As most of you know, I am one of the staff writers. Most of my articles are of the "how to" variety as I feel that my 60 years of hunting experience might help a guy that is new to the game. I keep writing for the magazine as I want to see the TTHA survive. As many of you have stated, it was a great magazine before the scientific breeding came along.
            I feel that it is important that we continue to have the Extravaganzas, as it gives us a chance as a huge fraternity to gather and visit in advance of the hunting season. (This is the only part of TTHA that makes money). Parking has become a huge problem at the shows. I can remember when you could park at Will Rogers for free. I feel that the new management at TTHA thinks more as we do and the magazine has made huge improvements over the last couple of years.
            Thanks and Adios,
            Gary

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
              Texas trophy hunters is about the same as Buckmasters for me .
              You eat me to it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                Someone got a clip of said cartoon?
                I’d like to see said cartoon

Comment

Originally posted by sharpshooter1 View Post
                  I’d like to see said cartoon
                  See post 34

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                    I agree that TTHA had a LOT to do with the promotion of the deer breeding businesses and it can be argued that these operations have hurt deer hunting in Texas. I had a meeting with the folks at TTHA and voiced the concerns that most of you have stated and here is what I learned.
                    The magazine has more articles from members and wanting more, almost no ads from deer breeders and looking to go to shorter articles to hold the interest of millennials whose attention span is not very long.
                    As most of you know, I am one of the staff writers. Most of my articles are of the "how to" variety as I feel that my 60 years of hunting experience might help a guy that is new to the game. I keep writing for the magazine as I want to see the TTHA survive. As many of you have stated, it was a great magazine before the scientific breeding came along.
                    I feel that it is important that we continue to have the Extravaganzas, as it gives us a chance as a huge fraternity to gather and visit in advance of the hunting season. (This is the only part of TTHA that makes money). Parking has become a huge problem at the shows. I can remember when you could park at Will Rogers for free. I feel that the new management at TTHA thinks more as we do and the magazine has made huge improvements over the last couple of years.
                    Thanks and Adios,
                    Gary

Gary, yours seems to be a voice of reason. I don't know how much influence you may have on "management", but I can tell you from personal experience, I quit going to the TTHA show in Houston when they moved it to the NRG Center from the GRB downtown... Admission went to $12 bucks and parking at NRG is $15.00!! So before you've set foot in the show, you've spent almost 30 bucks!! It would take a heck of a deal on equipment and goods at the show to make it worthwhile to go "shopping" at that show and come out nearly as well as you could by just shopping on line or at the brick and mortar outlets of the various vendors... I went to my first show in probably 10 years this past year, and it was ONLY to meet up with and fellowship with other THB'ers. I had a great time doing that and yes, I spent a couple hunert dollars too, but I had to grit my teeth and pay $27.00 for the privilege of doing that... If they want to hold it at a major venue, the GRB is MUCH more centrally located and parking is easily had for $5 bucks downtown on the weekends. Heck, no bigger than that show is, it could be held at the Lone Star Convention center in Conroe, or the Humble civic center or Pasadena Convention center... all those venues have free parking...

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
                      I stopped subscribing years ago, it became a magazine full of deer breeder ads and high dollar/high fence "hunts". Not my cup of tea.
                      This, stopped in ‘96

City slick hunters will be members. Most good ole country boys won’t

Comment

i am like many on here. I let my subscription lapse when all I saw in the magazine was breeder deer in every article. I look at the cover when ever I see the magazine, but have not bought one in probably 15 years.

Comment

I haven’t subscribed or bought one of the magazines since the nineties. I stopped watching their tv show years ago when the old guy, (can’t remember his name), started touting a .22 for deer hunting.

The main thing that turned me off the magazine was an article about pronghorn hunting near Ft. Davis. The facts were wrong and I knew it, because I was there. Killed my first goat on that hunt, and it wasn’t like the outfitter, who wrote the article, told it. That made me think if I’m gonna read fiction, then I’ll read something with a plot.

Comment

As a kid I'd grab a copy at the Grocery Store every time I was dragged there. Probably haven't picked up a copy in 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                              Man, all these posts are exactly my exact sentiment.

Loved the mag in the ‘90’s but can’t stand it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Same here. I enjoyed the stories back then

Comment

My sentiments are expressed above, used to be very excited to read the new edition and re-read the older ones. But, one of the straws, among many, was when Horace Gore strongly criticized Milo Hanson's new world record, said the hunting up there was "just like rabbit hunting" as they used deer drives, unlike the elite TTHs.................

Comment

Working...
                                X