No announcement yet.

Chain saws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an old Stihl 044 that is too dang heavy to work with all day for the little stuff I need to cut. I was looking for a lighter saw for the occasional cutting I do at the lease, mostly mesquite and cedar. I went as light as I could and bought an ms170 last week. Broke it in last weekend at the lease and loved it. It tackled everything i need it to and never slowed me down. I walked all over the place trimming limbs and brush from places I neglected in the past because the 044 was a pain to carry.

I'm plenty happy with the ms170. Nifty little saw.

Comment

I have had the Stihl MS250 for a couple months now and its been great. I've cut about 4 cords of firewood and two big pines that fell in the storm the other day. It starts quick makes quick work of a downed tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandt S. View Post
        I have an old Stihl 044 that is too dang heavy to work with all day for the little stuff I need to cut. I was looking for a lighter saw for the occasional cutting I do at the lease, mostly mesquite and cedar. I went as light as I could and bought an ms170 last week. Broke it in last weekend at the lease and loved it. It tackled everything i need it to and never slowed me down. I walked all over the place trimming limbs and brush from places I neglected in the past because the 044 was a pain to carry.

I'm plenty happy with the ms170. Nifty little saw.
        Way to much saw there we have a 038 and an 048, we only use them for saw milling though!

Comment

If you can, avoid getting a "Homeowner" rated Stihl. Stihls low-end saws are junk compared to the similar priced Husky's. Stihl has incorporated too much plastic in the low end saws where even a homeowner-rated saw needs more. I've not had to replace anything on my Pro saws, but the cheap Stihl's I've bought over the last 3 years have had issues.

Comment

I have that saw. You can get it with the Quick Chain Adjuster (optional). Mine has that and I love that feature. If it's easy to tighten the chain, you'll do it when you're supposed to instead of putting it off for "just one more cut."

Comment

Chain saws

^^comparison chart^^

I like the relative light weight of the MS 250. It's been an awesome saw!
              Last edited by Snakelover; 05-21-2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

MS 260 pro...sthil is the standard.

buy once, cry once.

I had an older 046 and it was a beast...way too much saw for what I needed & this 260 is a dream.

Comment

I always use ETHYNOL free gas in all my saws, mowers, pole saw, lawnmowers etc. Ethynol is from Satan. Every thing just runs better with NO ETHYNOL!
                  Last edited by elkbowhunter; 05-21-2014, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Stihl and/or Echo

Comment

Husquvarna or Stihl both great saws

Comment

I was wondering abou the quick chain adjuster, I never seam to have the correct wrenches at the moment I need them. What about the easy start?

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. In sutton county I could cut cedar for weeks, plus 4 of our 6 members are over 65 and I get saw duty all the time...

Comment

I have a echo 520 been a great saw

Comment

Echo CS310 is more than what you need, will last forever and is right at $200.

Comment

Stihl 038... 30 yrs and stihl cutting!

Comment

Working...
                                X