No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy crappers... how did i miss this three before? I skipped through once i caught wind of monsters and hard work paying off but i am now going back to read EVERYTHING.

Comment

Occasionally you have to take a break from the farm. My buddy bought a new Icon 5 from the factory in Vacaville California. We are both high time pilots and are ferrying the plane over to montrose Colorado. Will take a few days with overnights in Elko nv Heber city. Sorrel river ranch in Moab. After that a few days in telluride then back to farm living. Fun adventure with a new twist on mountain flying. We did a water landing in Lake Tahoe today which was cool. 6 hrs flying today though and I’m whipped
      Attached Files
      Last edited by elgato; 05-05-2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

okay enough ignoring the obvious question on every ones mind....

who finishes the marathons first? what is the average wait time?

Comment

Happy with this. I’m out of town but had this pic sent to me. Sunn hemp, cow peas, soybeans, buckwheat and sunflowers drilled into heavy rye thatch. Just planted last Thursday. Got about 1/2” on it but otherwise dry and hot. Will be interesting to see how thatch holds moisture and thwarts weeds.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by monsterspike View Post
            okay enough ignoring the obvious question on every ones mind....

who finishes the marathons first? what is the average wait time?
            Ha. I guess you are talking about the competition between my wife and I? We haven’t run a marathon together. But we have done several half Ironman triathlons together. She is a very strong swimmer so we generally finish the 1.2 mile swim with about the same time. From there I’m faster on both the bike and run which is 13.1 miles My last total time was 5 hours 55 mins. Took her about 6 hrs 50 mins best I recall. I asked her if she wanted pizza and a beer. She laughed and said bubble bath massage and champagne.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              Happy with this. I’m out of town but had this pic sent to me. Sunn hemp, cow peas, soybeans, buckwheat and sunflowers drilled into heavy rye thatch. Just planted last Thursday. Got about 1/2” on it but otherwise dry and hot. Will be interesting to see how thatch holds moisture and thwarts weeds.

You threw that seed combo in the main seed box or was there something that in the small seed box also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Everything was in main box. Inoculated then mixed

Comment

Everything was in main box. Inoculated then mixed

Gotcha. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ha. I guess you are talking about the competition between my wife and I? We haven’t run a marathon together. But we have done several half Ironman triathlons together. She is a very strong swimmer so we generally finish the 1.2 mile swim with about the same time. From there I’m faster on both the bike and run which is 13.1 miles My last total time was 5 hours 55 mins. Took her about 6 hrs 50 mins best I recall. I asked her if she wanted pizza and a beer. She laughed and said bubble bath massage and champagne.
                    not to derail, but people that compete at that level have always amazed me. did you guys compete in college?

you two are getting full value out of life for sure. beautiful place, beautiful family! God bless!

Comment

As Suetonius said to Julius Ceasar when he took his army across the Rubicon River into Northern Italy---"The die is cast" Here at the farm that simply means we have inaugurated all the spring/summer projects for the deer and now we are into maintenance and typical summer farm projects.

All the summer plots are in. We planted fields of 7.5 acres, 6.5, and 10 acres of straight soybeans. All are up and taking off. We planted fields of 18 and 12 acres of a mix including sunn hemp, cow peas, soybeans, buckwheat, and sunflower. As you can see from the picture after 2 weeks even with no rain they are doing well.

We planted fields of 2.5, 3, 2 and 6 acres in joint vetch. I threw a little alyce clover in with the vetch.

We also have straight clover fields doing very well of 5,5,3,5,11,3,4,3,3 acres as well as random clover here and there all around.The clover includes, berseem, arrow leaf, red clover, durana,as well as crimson which is done. All the clover fields have chicory in them. Most of these fields still have standing dried wheat in them from the fall. Makes great fawning and turkey nesting plus the deer eat the seed heads.

A 13 acre crimson field was planted in straight sunflowers for doves...assuming the deer don't eat them all.

Beyond all that all feeders..22 altogether..are filled with protein. Granted we don't use Double Down or for that matter any known name feed. In fact I think our feed is much better being custom blended to our specifications. Along with many of the typical ingredients we include digestives, probiotics, yeasts and cultures, as well as essential oils. Unfortunately costs more than Double Down et al as well.

I thinned ~300 acres of hardwood last summer. It is growing up like a jungle. Very happy with the ground cover growing there. Now it might be difficult to get a deer out of that habitat but thats ok.

So the die is cast. Deer are hitting the fields and feeders. Bachelor groups are showing up. Keen to see what this year produces.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so much for this thread! I love seeing what all you do and your reasoning behind it all!

Comment

Following

Comment

Awesome stuff as usual Rusty!!!

Comment

As Suetonius said to Julius Ceasar when he took his army across the Rubicon River into Northern Italy---"The die is cast" Here at the farm that simply means we have inaugurated all the spring/summer projects for the deer and now we are into maintenance and typical summer farm projects.

All the summer plots are in. We planted fields of 7.5 acres, 6.5, and 10 acres of straight soybeans. All are up and taking off. We planted fields of 18 and 12 acres of a mix including sunn hemp, cow peas, soybeans, buckwheat, and sunflower. As you can see from the picture after 2 weeks even with no rain they are doing well.

We planted fields of 2.5, 3, 2 and 6 acres in joint vetch. I threw a little alyce clover in with the vetch.

We also have straight clover fields doing very well of 5,5,3,5,11,3,4,3,3 acres as well as random clover here and there all around.The clover includes, berseem, arrow leaf, red clover, durana,as well as crimson which is done. All the clover fields have chicory in them. Most of these fields still have standing dried wheat in them from the fall. Makes great fawning and turkey nesting plus the deer eat the seed heads.

A 13 acre crimson field was planted in straight sunflowers for doves...assuming the deer don't eat them all.

Beyond all that all feeders..22 altogether..are filled with protein. Granted we don't use Double Down or for that matter any known name feed. In fact I think our feed is much better being custom blended to our specifications. Along with many of the typical ingredients we include digestives, probiotics, yeasts and cultures, as well as essential oils. Unfortunately costs more than Double Down et al as well.

I thinned ~300 acres of hardwood last summer. It is growing up like a jungle. Very happy with the ground cover growing there. Now it might be difficult to get a deer out of that habitat but thats ok.

So the die is cast. Deer are hitting the fields and feeders. Bachelor groups are showing up. Keen to see what this year produces.

Looks dang good Amigo.

Comment

Man, Id love to get my bees around some of your planted goods...Awesome work!

Comment

Working...
                                X