Traditional FSC week 37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC week 37

One of my goals for 2017 was to extend my effective range to 30 yards. So this weeks shot will challenge us to stretch it out.

You'll need a quarter sheet of paper marked with an X like this.
    The range is 30 yards (any position) for adults an 20 yards for youth. Under 10 years old go 15 yards. One shot closest to the crossing of lines wins the call for next week.

But there is a catch. I know this I a long shot for most and a relatively small target so if you don't hit the paper your shot doesn't count. However since it's an FSC challenge you can't shoot it again until the next day. So you can shoot it multiple days if you miss the paper. Once you hit the paper that is your measurement for the challenge. Theoretically you can miss six days in a row, nail the paper on Saturday and have a competitive shot.

It's getting close to season and we need to be shooting more anyhow.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I was a bit high and right on today's effort. I'll try again in the morning.

Comment

Almost hit the paper today:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Perfect elevation.

Comment

What is the call? All I see is your shot.

Edit: Oops, nevermind

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Left to Right...1&2.

Ill give another go tomorrow.
            Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Good shooting, Briar! Nailed it with the follow-up!

Comment

Stoked! Just shot this: 1-1/4"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great shot!

Comment

Thanks.

Blind hog, meet acorn...

Will say this about long distance shooting: really forces you to focus on form by keeping bow hand up until arrow hits target and have a quiet release. Plus, 30 yards makes 20- and 15-yards feel like chip shots. And if keeping up good form on those closer ones, you really can zero in.

Comment

Awesome shot TradTiger!

Comment

Only got one shot in and it wasn't good. I'll get some practice in tomorrow maybe.

Comment

Thanks, Briar. DRT, that's a small block and you hit it. Good shot.

Bottom line: most of us have no business taking a 30-yard shot on game, unless it's large, like an elk. Rick may be an exception -- especially with those 200 fps heavy (700 grain) arrows out of 75-98 lb bows he likes to shoot.

Comment

True but as you pointed out. Developing the form and being able to shoot long makes a better form and function up close. And in 3D tourneys they don't care if all my feeders are set 15 yards or less from the blind or stand.

Comment

My point on with my recurve is 32 yards.
                              Point on with my longbow is right about 25 yards.

What I think about most on shots longer than about 25 yards, is how much time the animal has to move before the arrow gets there. Even with fast arrows, they can move quite a bit before it gets there from 30.

I like to keep my hunting shots at 20 & under, preferably under.

That don't mean I won't take a longer shot. It depends on what animal I am shooting at, and what they are acting like. Whitetail are built & wired for quickness, and can move A Lot before the arrow gets there even from 20 & under depending on the circumstances.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X