Deer Ecology 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doe doe spike View Post
    so 100 acres in east texas could hold a higher deer density than 100 acres in south texas or 100 acres in the hill country. (excluding factors like hunting pressure, supplemental food, livestock , hogs)
    bingo

Comment

Originally posted by Doe Doe Spike View Post
      So 100 acres in East Texas could hold a higher deer density than 100 acres in South Texas or 100 acres in the hill country. (Excluding factors like hunting pressure, supplemental food, livestock , hogs)
      You'd need to define "hold". In general broad brush strokes, what you say is vaguely true.

The TX hill country has carried some crazy high deer numbers (highest in the state), but look at the size of some of them and check out the browse lines. They've shrunk, but the country is still "holding" them.

S TX mixed brush can be very diverse, particularly the red sandy soils, with numerous high quality browse plants, and lots of mid-value plants. But, what we see are peaks and valleys in antler size and fawn crops based on rainfall amounts and timing. This is because rain makes weeds (deer's preference), and in dry years they're strictly on mature (few fresh shoots) browse. This roller coaster fawn crop can kind of keep numbers in check in open range situations.

What I'm getting at is, it isn't as simple as which can hold more deer, but generally speaking there would be more natural food in parts of E TX year in and year out provided the population was kept at a level that ensured growth and reproduction of the quality browse.

Comment

Support is the word I'm going for.

You are saying one of the main reasons for more deer in the areas of South Texas and the Hill country is hunting pressure ( size of ranches) as opposes to natural food sources and browse potentially available.

Rain is the main factor in determining fresh growth which in turn leads to more deer browse and more deer? Type of vegatation plays less of a roll in deer numbers?

Comment

Which ecoregion of Texas is most favorable for deer based upon natural vegetation?
          Maverick County = check the record books over the past thirty years

Comment

feeding supplemental feed (protein or cottonseed) in the wrong setting is worthless - it works only when there is enough property and enough feed stations - on a small place where nobody else is feeding it and neighbors are killing every deer that walks by with horns? Waste of your money
            simple as that

Comment

Support is the word I'm going for.

You are saying one of the main reasons for more deer in the areas of South Texas and the Hill country is hunting pressure ( size of ranches) as opposes to natural food sources and browse potentially available.

Rain is the main factor in determining fresh growth which in turn leads to more deer browse and more deer? Type of vegatation plays less of a roll in deer numbers?
              good rain leads to good range conditions which in turn leads to healthier deer - healthier deer tends to bring does with twins instead of singles. Fawn survival is dependent on the range conditions.

So long term, if your habitat is good due to rain then your deer will prosper and bucks will have more nutrition - that turns into better horns - NO supplemental feed made by man can replicate or duplicate mother nature and its impact on a deer herd
              Last edited by TKK; 02-05-2017, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Dude, I wish it were simple...actually...no I don't, then I wouldnt have a job.

Type of vegetation definitely matters. A deer could starve to death in belly deep grass and only mesquite for browse, or eastern red cedar for that matter.

Another of the complicating factors is that plants are designed to fit in their environment. That means browse in S TX can do okay with 12 inches of rain. But, E TX plants would be in bad shape with only 12 inches.

Boil it down to this, which supports you're original question. IF, that's a big if, rainfall was at least average for the different areas of TX over 10-20 years, AND, the populations in each area were kept at a level that ensured growth and reproduction of the quality browse, then, YES, portions of E TX could support more deer than other parts of TX.

Comment

Important point. I would define the number of deer that an area could support as: A deer density (ac/deer) that would result in the growth and reproduction of quality browse plants that could occur in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                    Important point. I would define the number of deer that an area could support as: A deer density (ac/deer) that would result in the growth and reproduction of quality browse plants that could occur in that area.
                    Best answer to the last 5 responses....

Comment

Another spin off to what has been said above. I would manage your vegetation before "managing" your deer. If you provide food, cover and water, deer will come and stay. On small acreage, I think that is the best thing that you can do.

Comment

^ Well said. You have to have the land and habitat to draw, hold and support the deer...

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
                          Another spin off to what has been said above. I would manage your vegetation before "managing" your deer. If you provide food, cover and water, deer will come and stay. On small acreage, I think that is the best thing that you can do.
                          This is basically MLD practices

Comment

Yep. Well...used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                              Yep. Well...used to be.
                              Its changing this season I do believe.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                                Its changing this season I do believe.
                                I believe so.

Comment