No announcement yet.

What is your favorite and biggest waste of money gear item

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess I only answered half the question, with my worthless gear. I've got an assortment of calls and gear, but usually when chasing deer, you'll see me in a pair of redhead snake boots, cheap camo pants/shirt, whatever under layers fit the weather, face painted, camo hat, my bow, release, and extra release. I bring maybe 2 calls...I've come to really like the primos hands free call with the sliding band to change between grunts, bleats, etc. I also like the knight and hale pack rack.

I've given up on lighted nocks also. Fun kind of when they work, but overall more hassle and money than it's worth. I might kick the scent control soon. I'll still wash my camo in non UV brighteners and no scent, but the sprays I will go without. Probably gonna keep the scent free shower stuff too since it doesn't cost much more than regular shower stuff.

Honestly, if they are downwind of you, nothing in the world can keep them from smelling you. Playing the wind is your best bet. Pick your spot wisely.

Comment

Must haves for me are Thermacell, good head lamp, good knife and face paint.

Wish I hadn't bought... Face mask (paint only for me) and any of the many "food attractants". Like flavored mineral blocks, acorn rage, swamp donkey, etc... None ever brought anything in to speak of.

Comment

Just remembered my most useless thing--the Cough Muffler.

Comment

If I'm in a tree for 2-4 hours I carry a couple of lights, a bottle of water, a backup release, a small pair of binos for birdwatching, and my rangefinger. If I'm in a pop up, I may also take a snack, and maybe a magazine or mp3 player.

cricman

Comment

None of y'all have mentioned THE CRUNCHER!!!

Comment

Scents, 2 or 3 good lights, knife, rope, zipties

Comment

My bag is packed! Binocs, rangefinder, gloves, face masks, baclava, thermacell, flashlights (atleast two), replacement batteries for anything in pack, the list goes on and on.

Most useless item Ive ever bought deer feeder noise maker... It makes the noise of a spinning feeder to attract deer. And pig boar call, it actually scares pigs away!

Comment

I see lots of you giving great marks to the Thermacell. That is one that looked like a gimic to me but now I am going to have to pick one up. Thanks for all the other tips.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardofhaws View Post
                    I see lots of you giving great marks to the Thermacell. That is one that looked like a gimic to me but now I am going to have to pick one up. Thanks for all the other tips.
                    Thermacell is a bowhunters must NOTHING will ruinin a hunt more the Gettin wore out by mosquitos!!! Also can e used when hangin out round the house durin summer days!

Comment

The thermacell is a life saver! Cant bow hunt without it! Face mask and bug suits are now obsolete!

Comment

If its the latest,best,most spectacular product to ever come on the market(especialy deer attractants),don't waste your money!

Comment

I have spent some money on a high end flashlight, sharp knife, a good pop-up. I find it all on sale and it lasts a long time. I've also found some ladder stands on sale after season that were a good deal.

I don't mind spending a lot of money on a bow as long as I know I'll have it for a long time...and I hunt a lot so I definitely will get my use out of it.

All the money I've ever spent on scent control was basically flushed down the drain. Good thing it's relatively cheap. Also, about 6 years ago I bought a cheap plastic feeder/timer set up from Bass Pro. It was one of those $100-$150 rigs. Complete junk. After that I bought a 650# metal feeder and it works like a champ.

Comment

The most useless piece of equipment I have is not one, but two different GPS units.
                            I can't figure out how to use them.
                            I need an 8 yr old to teach me.

Comment

Pelican 20/20 hand held flash light and a spare pelican led headlight in my pack. I keep assorted handfull of zip ties, a gear pull rope, thermocell with refill's, gloves, water, range finder, release and a realtree screw in bow holder that doubles to hold my pack. I try to keep things light because i hunt with a summit climber mostly. My worst money spent was a tree lounge climbing stands they had the marketing locked up and fooled me.

Comment

A Thermacell is definitely on my "must get" list.

Comment

Working...
                                X