Seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
    We have another football stadium going up a few miles down Cypresswood from Spring High School. Really getting tired of how they wipe their behind with our tax dollars.
    You do understand that ONLY the voters can decide to build that stadium, right?

Comment

Originally posted by dhillis View Post
      I understand the frustration about football having huge stadiums to play football in, but unless you live in that community, you shouldn't complain. Also, big ticket items such as new schools and football stadiums are not part of a regular school budget. Those things are paid for with bonds. The people in the community vote on bonds which specifically list where and how the money for the bond will be spent. So, the majority of the people that live in these communities are ok with the large stadiums. If they weren't, the bond would have never passed to build it.
      Generally you are right. However, What Katy ISD did was tie the football stadium to things most people agree with, like adding schools to reduce overcrowding, increasing the number of teachers, etc...

The residents of Katy year after year voted down the football stadium when it was a bond all by itself, meanwhile approving bonds to improve and add new schools. So the board got the bright idea to lump the stadium in with the other needed improvements in one bond, and then say nope, can't have one without the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        I would venture to say Curt knows more about schools and stadiums than just about anyone one the GS.
        I don't know about that, but it sure is obvious that most people on this thread don't know a dang thing about how a school bond program works.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          Generally you are right. However, What Katy ISD did was tie the football stadium to things most people agree with, like adding schools to reduce overcrowding, increasing the number of teachers, etc...

The residents of Katy year after year voted down the football stadium when it was a bond all by itself, meanwhile approving bonds to improve and add new schools. So the board got the bright idea to lump the stadium in with the other needed improvements in one bond, and then say nope, can't have one without the other.
          Katy has nine 6A high schools. Where are they supposed to play ball? If you take the cost and divide it by the number of schools that will use it, I bet it's not out of line with any other small town stadium as a percentage.

That's a lot different than a district like Allen with one HS.

Comment

Isnt a bond just a tax imposed on the other 49 percent by the 51 percent?

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
              Isnt a bond just a tax imposed on the other 49 percent by the 51 percent?

Comment

Well if we are complaining about school taxes, why do does my wife and I have to pay school taxes when we don't have kids and never will? Heck we should get a tax break for not bringing more people into the world and in turn putting less burden on the resources and environment... .

That's a joke before anybody gets their undies in a bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by dhillis View Post
                  I understand the frustration about football having huge stadiums to play football in, but unless you live in that community, you shouldn't complain. Also, big ticket items such as new schools and football stadiums are not part of a regular school budget. Those things are paid for with bonds. The people in the community vote on bonds which specifically list where and how the money for the bond will be spent. So, the majority of the people that live in these communities are ok with the large stadiums. If they weren't, the bond would have never passed to build it.

someone with a clue!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    They make money when that happens.
                    lol
                    Generating some revenue and making money are two different things.

If I pay $60M for something and rent it out for $10k (if that) a few times a year, I'm not making money.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                      lol
                      Generating some revenue and making money are two different things.

If I pay $60M for something and rent it out for $10k (if that) a few times a year, I'm not making money.
                      True. I should have said they bring in revenue from outside sources that otherwise wouldn't be there.

Comment

For the record, I was all for a new stadium. But when I saw what was planned, I voted no. That thing is a little overboard to me.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          Katy has nine 6A high schools. Where are they supposed to play ball? If you take the cost and divide it by the number of schools that will use it, I bet it's not out of line with any other small town stadium as a percentage.

That's a lot different than a district like Allen with one HS.
                          They could have built 9 stadiums with steel bleachers in a rice field somewhere for 1/4 the cost. But no, they had to have the biggest. That's the gripe. I get it, it's Texas football, and it's important. And I respect residents ability to vote for what they want, and my side lost. I am okay with that, but you got to admit it was a chicken **** way to get the stadium passed.

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                          Well if we are complaining about school taxes, why do does my wife and I have to pay school taxes when we don't have kids and never will? Heck we should get a tax break for not bringing more people into the world and in turn putting less burden on the resources and environment... .

Agreed lol

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post

Same with old folks. We've done our time.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              It went to the football stadium
                              x2!

What yall get lol

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                                They could have built 9 stadiums with steel bleachers in a rice field somewhere for 1/4 the cost. But no, they had to have the biggest. That's the gripe. I get it, it's Texas football, and it's important. And I respect residents ability to vote for what they want, and my side lost. I am okay with that, but you got to admit it was a chicken **** way to get the stadium passed.

Agreed lol
                                Yep, that's how a lot of this ends up passing. Some of these districts also hold the bond vote outside of the normal election cycle. I've even see them hold the vote during the week of "open house" and literally have voting booths setup at the schools for parents to vote when they walk in. They literally can hit their target audience that way snagging parents with children in the schools. Your average Joe citizen that doesn't read the local paper on a daily basis misses the vote half the time.

I remember the Katy voters initially voting down the new stadium. It wasn't until it was packaged with other things actually needed that voters decided to move in that direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X