Sika Deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sika Deer?

Are these Sika deer? Looks like there are different types, any idea what kind these are? When do Sika generally drop their antlers, and when are they hard-horned? Any good to eat?

This is Hill Country, low-fence, Edwards County.

Thanks.

Chris

Definitely looks like sika to me. I've had it twice, both times from a buddy that shot them. My guess is they will probably be hard horned in August?

First time I had it, my buddy didn't get the hide of until 2 days later after letting it hang and it tasted like it smelled, like a rutting bull elk. The other time I was with him and we got the hide off within an hour of him shooting it and it tasted pretty good.

Comment

yes those are sika.

I think they taste great. They have a "richer" taste than a Whitetail.

Comment

Yes and they are delicious

Comment

they will be hard horned around the 1st of September. they drop around February.

I shot one this past season and it was delicious. Loved eating that guy. They are smelly animals however I shot him gutted him and he sat in a cooler for a day or two then I picked him up and took him to the processor

Comment

Yes... as said before, they are very tasty

Comment

If ever a question, look at their butts, Sika have a white rump patch.

Comment

Sika for sure, they are very good eating.

Comment

Lucky . . . Dang fine table fare.

Comment

To me it taste a little better than axis.

Comment

Look like Sika and they are phenomenal to eat. I was on a ranch that had over a dozen types of exotics including oryx and axis and they strongly preferred eating the sika over everything else. Bucks can get a little gamey when they are really rutted up.

Comment

I believe they are related to Elk and Red Stag.

Comment

Sounds like I need to make some room in the freezer!

Comment

Yes they are sika. Eats even better than Axis in my opinion. They are more closely related to elk than they are to whitetail. Bucks will be hard horned in late August and drop in February. Mature bucks will typically have 8 points; they rut in October. The bucks/bulls bugle somewhat similar to an elk but it’s one constant high note, usually 3 times. There is a growl towards the end but you have to be semi-close to hear it. Also there summer and winter coats can vary a lot with the summer sometimes being orange and spotted, winter coat is usually dark brown or black and bucks will get a mane.

Comment

Sika is tasty

I've read they can reach 25 years old, so maybe a rutty 25 year old bull might be pretty rank.

Comment

Working...
                              X