Snow Goose meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
    It’s edible. If you brine it for days, soak in Italian dressing, bacon, cream cheese, jalapeño whatever you have to do to get rid of the iron, livery taste. I’ve eaten goose since I was a baby. Lol. It ain’t that good. Take a goose breast, no marinade, no soak in milk, no Italian dressing, nothing but salt. Grill it and get back with me. Tough and taste like a bucket of rusty nails mixed with liver. It’s not comparable to a steak, any steak. The worst steak I’ve ever had is better than the best goose I’ve ever had, and to say otherwise is false.
    I would LOVE to take the Pepsi challenge in this... That said I would have to be on the hunt to be confident in how the meat was handled.

I have been AMAZED at how much blood comes out of waterfowl meat... I think that is the root of the problem. There is a whole scientific reason they have more blood so they can fly further.

If I can get on a hunt I will do a write up

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew View Post
      Pound out almost flat.
      Coat with seasoned flour.
      Pan fry in bacon grease.
      Serve with biscuits & gravy.

Or

Marinated & cooked rare over wood coals.
      Ate many a chicken fried goose breast, durn good eating!

Comment

Snow Goose meat

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
        I want to reiterate, if you have to wrap it in bacon to be able to eat it, then it isn’t palatable. Y’all crack me up talking about how good goose is and then go on to talk about what all you go thru to hide the taste.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salt, pepper, and hot fire. Hail, you extoll the greatness of a dang McRib. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by Graysonhogs; 01-14-2020, 08:27 AM.

Comment

It’s edible. If you brine it for days, soak in Italian dressing, bacon, cream cheese, jalapeño whatever you have to do to get rid of the iron, livery taste. I’ve eaten goose since I was a baby. Lol. It ain’t that good. Take a goose breast, no marinade, no soak in milk, no Italian dressing, nothing but salt. Grill it and get back with me. Tough and taste like a bucket of rusty nails mixed with liver. It’s not comparable to a steak, any steak. The worst steak I’ve ever had is better than the best goose I’ve ever had, and to say otherwise is false.

If it’s livery, it’s over cooked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Goose hunting was my passion until I was around 25. Then I woke up one day at 3 AM and 35 degrees with rain, went back to sleep and knew my run was over.

We shot thousands, had an absolute blast killing them... doubtful I ate more than two.

We had a particular side of town we would drop them off at. Them boys loved them.

Comment

I really love eating snows. I always brined them for a couple of days then marinated in bbq/teriyaki solution for a couple days. I've had people that never ate wild game begging for more.

Comment

I’m been making burgers out of my geese, best way I’ve ever done them.
                4 goose breasts, grind them with 2 jalapeños and half an onion along with a half to a whole piece of bacon. Mix with an egg and panko bread crumbs with fiesta fajita seasoning.
                Slice of pepper jack cheese and some good kaiser buns from HEB bakery. You’ll thank me later. They’re unreal...

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                  I would LOVE to take the Pepsi challenge in this... That said I would have to be on the hunt to be confident in how the meat was handled.

I have been AMAZED at how much blood comes out of waterfowl meat... I think that is the root of the problem. There is a whole scientific reason they have more blood so they can fly further.

If I can get on a hunt I will do a write up
                  My point is, if you have to brine for two days and soak for two days in order to make it edible, it ain’t that good. Lol.

Comment

Chicken fried is the way we use to always eat ducks and geese. Tasted great.

A lot of you hating on it are the same ones chicken frying backstrap, or wrapping it up in bacon and cream cheese. Never understood the reason to ruin a perfectly good backstrap with bacon?

Comment

It ain't a ribeye, but it's edible if you take care of it and cook it right. Guess I don't have a discerning palate, but steak seasoning and cooked medium rare tastes good.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot1 View Post
                        I’m been making burgers out of my geese, best way I’ve ever done them.
                        4 goose breasts, grind them with 2 jalapeños and half an onion along with a half to a whole piece of bacon. Mix with an egg and panko bread crumbs with fiesta fajita seasoning.
                        Slice of pepper jack cheese and some good kaiser buns from HEB bakery. You’ll thank me later. They’re unreal...
                        Anything would taste good like that

Comment

My point is, if you have to brine for two days and soak for two days in order to make it edible, it ain’t that good. Lol.

Yup[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Or in my case mix 60 pork 40 duck/goose, plus spices and 6+ hours of smoke. Then it’s good.

Comment

I eat them, but it is in the form of jerky. Works great for that because I like my jerky chewy. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                              I've only had snow goose once, but didn't taste any difference. I will say, I've already almost cleaned out my freezer of goose this year. Everything people have said negative of goose was just flat out wrong. it was delicious. We have absolutely enjoyed it.
                              This. They’re all great. Canadian’s to snows. Just don’t over cook them just like any wild game and they eat as good as any steak.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                                Filet the breasts and cut them into strips. Soak them in milk or buttermilk overnight, then marinate in your favorite marinade for a few hours. Take the strips, place it on a half jalapeno pepper with a spread of cream cheese in it. Wrap it in bacon like you would dove, and grill till done. Voila! People who say they don't like duck or geese will eat these poppers up!!!
                                A flip flop would taste good like this. ^^^^^

Duck and geese are the only things deserving of a raw egg flopped on top of them. But then the egg don't even deserve that.

Comment

Working...
                                X