Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regular TV outside under covered patio/deck???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regular TV outside under covered patio/deck???

Who has one and how long has it lasted? My FIL is installing a flat panel bracket to put up a TV on his back patio. Will a regular flat panel work or does he truly need an "outdoor" tv that cost 2000? It will be under an extended eave that hangs over 3 ft. Nowhere near sun or water. Just curious how the humidity will effect it? Also he will have it on a quick detach bracket so he can bring it in during long stands of non use. Is an lcd better than a plasma for this or does it even matter? Thanks for the input.

A friend of mine has a TV on his deck. It isn't a flat panel though. He covers it with a large plastic trash bag and ties it closed around the mount. That limits the amount of humidity that the TV is exposed to. I'm guessing he's had that TV out there for the last 6 yrs.

I would go for the LCD for a few reasons. 1) it is lighter if it will be moved around. 2) Plasma TVs must remain upright and can't be tilted beyond 10 or 15 degrees (don't remember exactly). Hanging it and taking it down increase the risk of over tilting the TV. 3) Plasma TVs reflect more light from other sources. You'll have a heck of a time with glare and mirror like reflections outside.

You might want to do a google search on all of this. It's been 4 yrs since I researched TVs. I could be talking out of my arse!

Comment

I know somebody that has had an LCD outside in Beaumont, TX for over 2 yrs and it is still going strong. He put his old TV outside after updating and has had no issues with it. Sounds about like the same set-up as you are talking about too.

Comment

Thanks we are gunna give it a go with a regular 46" lcd.

Comment

I spoke with an owner of a local resturant that has tvs on the patio and he said he got regular lcds from Best buy with the 4 year warranty......he told them it would be outside and semi exposed to elements. Best Buy told him the 4 year warranty covers moisture.

Might be something you want to check into

Comment

We install them for customers all the time like this (I have several customers with regular tv's on covered patios that have been there for 5+ years). My recommendations to customers is if it isn't in the direct line of heavy sun or rain, buy a cheapie Wal Mart tv and rock on. Prices on the cheapies are going down and you can replace the cheapie several times for the price of a "weatherproof" tv. I've yet to see a weatherproof tv last more than 2-3 years anyway...

Comment

You'll over pay at Best Buy. Go to Costco or Sams if you can. My buddy just bought a 60" in Samsung LED at Costco with a BluRay player (bundle deal with $300 instant rebate) for right around $1650. If you just bought the TV withouth the bundle it was $1800. The same TV at Best Buy without the BluRay player was $2600.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter View Post
                We install them for customers all the time like this (I have several customers with regular tv's on covered patios that have been there for 5+ years). My recommendations to customers is if it isn't in the direct line of heavy sun or rain, buy a cheapie Wal Mart tv and rock on. Prices on the cheapies are going down and you can replace the cheapie several times for the price of a "weatherproof" tv. I've yet to see a weatherproof tv last more than 2-3 years anyway...
                We've got an old, regular tube tv under the carport at the camp. It's mounted up high in the corner and is protected from any blowing wind/rain. It's been there about 4-5 years and still going strong.

Comment

Just hung this 60" on our back patio. Based on the cost of a OUTDOOR TV i could easily buy 4 of these over the next 10-12 years from Sam's club. Thank goodness a bunch of TBHers talked me outta my initial plan......lol!

Comment

To bad lsu is vexing my nerves in the 9th inning!!!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1432425991784.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	24382395

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
                      Who has one and how long has it lasted? My FIL is installing a flat panel bracket to put up a TV on his back patio. Will a regular flat panel work or does he truly need an "outdoor" tv that cost 2000? It will be under an extended eave that hangs over 3 ft. Nowhere near sun or water. Just curious how the humidity will effect it? Also he will have it on a quick detach bracket so he can bring it in during long stands of non use. Is an lcd better than a plasma for this or does it even matter? Thanks for the input.
                      I have a 32 inch Dynex flat panel TV been outside about 4 years now. Paid $299.00 for ii at Best Buy.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have a regular flatscreen tv on back porch. No issues.

Comment

Wow.....2 or 3 years would be great. Good to hear that!!! :-)

Comment

I have a 40" LG that cost $400 from Costco that has been up for 18 months with no issues. I have a cover for it but sometimes that doesn't get put back on and has gone through a few storms.(without getting wet) If I can get 3 years out of it, it'll be 15 years before I hit the $2000 mark for an "outdoor tv".

Comment

$2000 will buy 5 or 6 regular TVs. Takes along time for a TV to die outside. Easy math.

Comment

Working...
                              X