No announcement yet.

Test Targets With New Guns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then you would need to discount them for being a used gun...

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
      Then you would need to discount them for being a used gun...
      Gotta admit, I felt a little guilty shooting "other people's" guns the past couple of days

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
        Gotta admit, I felt a little guilty shooting "other people's" guns the past couple of days
        It's all in a tough days work isn't it?

Comment

After working with 5 different APR rifles I say as long as it has this there is no test target required.

Comment

I think for a medium to large size faceless company who offers an accuracy guarantee for a rifle, then yes a test target is a good idea to help ease the mind of the purchaser.

In the case of APR I see little added value but agree making it a paid option couldn't hurt. I saved for a year when I purchased my first APR semi-custom rifle and I too had the question of accuracy but ultimately with the guarantee APR offers, the reputation for accuracy and the willingness to make it right if the rifle dosent shoot I was at ease purchasing from them. Anyone in the market for a rifle of this caliber, semi or full custom, will do their research before deciding on a builder. At that point accuracy should be a given and as others have said if it doesn't shoot it's going back.

With all of the variables in factory ammo, optics, weather, shooting conditions and shooter abilities a test target is only a snapshot of what that rifle was capable of under those particular conditions and may not truly represent it's actual capabilities.

On a somewhat related side note, I think offering load development and even custom ammunition paired to your rifle would be a valuable service. As part of a full custom build you could offer free, or discounted load development contingent on a minimum ammunition purchase. If a customer did not want to purchase any ammunition they could still pay for the load development service. Just a thought!

I have both semi and full custom rifles from APR and both shoot sub 1/2" MOA if I do my part! My next custom rifle I have in mind will also be built by you guys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jstanton View Post
              On a somewhat related side note, I think offering load development and even custom ammunition paired to your rifle would be a valuable service. As part of a full custom build you could offer free, or discounted load development contingent on a minimum ammunition purchase. If a customer did not want to purchase any ammunition they could still pay for the load development service. Just a thought!

I concur.

Comment

Originally posted by jstanton View Post
                I think for a medium to large size faceless company who offers an accuracy guarantee for a rifle, then yes a test target is a good idea to help ease the mind of the purchaser.

In the case of APR I see little added value but agree making it a paid option couldn't hurt. I saved for a year when I purchased my first APR semi-custom rifle and I too had the question of accuracy but ultimately with the guarantee APR offers, the reputation for accuracy and the willingness to make it right if the rifle dosent shoot I was at ease purchasing from them. Anyone in the market for a rifle of this caliber, semi or full custom, will do their research before deciding on a builder. At that point accuracy should be a given and as others have said if it doesn't shoot it's going back.

With all of the variables in factory ammo, optics, weather, shooting conditions and shooter abilities a test target is only a snapshot of what that rifle was capable of under those particular conditions and may not truly represent it's actual capabilities.

I have both semi and full custom rifles from APR and both shoot sub 1/2" MOA if I do my part! My next custom rifle I have in mind will also be built by you guys!

Not sure about free. That's generally a $350 minimum on load development for an add on. Not sure they can manufacture ammo either but if they got in with someone like Chad at Dallas Reloads it would be pretty appealing for sure if it was discounted

Comment

Show me a half inch 30-30 then.
                  i have fired 2 sub 1/4moa dirty 30's....

Comment

Don't know why, but I've always thought a Rem 788 in 30-30AI would be a cool project. Now watch me hijack my own thread

Comment

Originally posted by chuckw View Post
                      i have fired 2 sub 1/4moa dirty 30's....
                      That I need to see! Never even seen a 2moa dirty thirty.

Comment

Originally posted by ABWGTX View Post
                        Realistically if a mfg want to do this they need a tunnel test facility and capital to do it. You can't cherry pick the weather conditions with any kind of year round production schedule. Just not affordable for most builders.
                        Yep---used to do load workup for folks as a job/hobby and it was rolling the dice on weater/wind conditions I might face. I wouldn't want to pay for something that I love to do.

Maybe offer it "optional at extra cost."

Comment

That one I suppressed was sub moa with a dang trijicon RMR lol

Comment

these were 2 full on benchrest rifles built on a bet using custom actions and 18 twist barrels. they shot as well as most 6ppc or 30br rifles out there and i was shooting "cheap" bullets. the best bullet we used was a 125gr berger and both the LV and HV were shooting in the .1xx range with boring regularity. i do believe some chambering are "inherently accurate", but those rifles proved to me that a good barrel spun up right and good ammunition trump anything else. here is a link to the rifles and story i just relayed.
                            Last edited by chuckw; 10-14-2017, 03:25 AM.

Comment

So... About that full time position test firing some of the most amazing rifles ever made. Where do I sign up? Legitimately sounds like my dream job!

To answer your question though, I would make it an option offered at extra expense. After all the reviews I've seen on here, I would not need a test target. But I could see how it could a desirable option for some customers.

Comment

I can definitely understand the requests for test targets with a custom build, but honestly, I think the best option would be the following:

Have a tab on your website with buyer submitted reviews of their guns with photos of their rifles, test targets, and overall review of their experience. You can also provide contact info to existing customers - email, phone #, for new customers to contact for their feedback.

Similar to an outfitter who guarantees a certain B&C score; I'd rather talk to people who have actually hunted with the outfitter and get their honest opinion rather than see trail camera pics.

At the end of the day, how many more guns would you sell if you included test targets and how much more cost would that add to each rifle? The website option seems to be a good alternative.

I'd be happy to submit reviews 1-4 and provide contact info if you go that route ��

Comment

Working...
                                X