Help finding a gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help finding a gear

This is a fiber gear for a vintage stimpson meat grinder. The top of all the teeth are sheared off because someone, at some point, dropped one of the gear box lid bolts down into the gear box and did not bother to retrieve it. Obviously it eventually bound things up and the fiber drive gear failed as it was designed to do.

Well i have the scoured the web and can't find a replacement part. But surely i can find a gear that will work that is made for something else.

It is a 3/4 shaft. It is 7/8" thick. Its current diameter (with teeth sheared off) is 1.33".

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Take it to a local machine shop. They can hook you up. Probably way easier than trying to find one online

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
      Take it to a local machine shop. They can hook you up. Probably way easier than trying to find one online
      Any idea what that kind of work would cost?

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
        Any idea what that kind of work would cost?

Probably be cheaper to buy a new grinder with the way machine shops charge around here.

Comment

Try McMaster Carr, they have a lot of everything, on that long list of everything, they sell universal purpose gears. Not knowing what the diameter originally was, is going to make it difficult to find something than one intended for that meat grinder. But it is possible that multiple different meat grinder companies use the same gears from the same source, to reduce their cost.

Comment

Call motion industries in Tyler. They can get bearings and gears for anything

Comment

3D printer.

Comment

Find a Martin Sprocket and Gear dealer in your area, and you will be in business. I used to work for them many many moons ago. If it's a cog or gear of any kind, they make it. And their headquarters is right here in Texas.
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-24-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

have you looked into buying another of the same grinder? take the gear out that you need and you'd have other spare parts too.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                    have you looked into buying another of the same grinder? take the gear out that you need and you'd have other spare parts too.
                    Ha! I assume that you are kidding.

This is a vintage grinder that apparently they did not make many of. You can hardly find anything about them online. It is a stimpson.

Comment

Franklin Gear in Houston can fix you up.

Comment

Ha! I assume that you are kidding.

This is a vintage grinder that apparently they did not make many of. You can hardly find anything about them online. It is a stimpson.

And there’s one on eBay too....

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                          Yea let me jump right on that!

Things are looking bleak for finding a gear. Franklin gear replied to me with an estimate of $300! I get it. But i thought places that only make gears would be so jigged up for making them that it would be super simple to make any gear. I guess not. Currently trying to find a gear made for other applications that will work. 3d printing one may be the ticket if the material is durable enough. And if i can find someone to do it.

Comment

Yea let me jump right on that!

Things are looking bleak for finding a gear. Franklin gear replied to me with an estimate of $300! I get it. But i thought places that only make gears would be so jigged up for making them that it would be super simple to make any gear. I guess not. Currently trying to find a gear made for other applications that will work. 3d printing one may be the ticket if the material is durable enough. And if i can find someone to do it.

You can't jig up for a 1 piece run. Add the fact that they have no prints for the part and therefor must reverse engineer prior to sending to the shop floor and $300 actually sounds fair.

But you can almost buy a really good grinder with readily available parts for that so.....

Comment

Working...
                            X