How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    Stickflinger, are those pike from the Rio Grande? I've fished for them a couple of times there, but never caught one. My dad caught some tiger musky with a guide buddy of ours from Taos. I can't wait to get up there and catch one of those. Looks like fun.
    Yessir, the Rio holds some monster pike!! Who is your guide buddy?? If you ever want to come down and chase some tigers or pike, hit me up!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      What SW gear do you use?
      I'm a gear nut, go to for reds is an old gloomis gl 6/7/8 reel and tfo axiom 7 wt rod. Have other set ups that cost a lot more but this one is my favorite, very impressed with tfo for the $.

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
        Yessir, the Rio holds some monster pike!! Who is your guide buddy?? If you ever want to come down and chase some tigers or pike, hit me up!!!!
        Is this the same Rio Grande bordering Tx and Mexico?

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
          Mark Cowan - he grew up in Tulia, where I'm from originally. He's a real estate appraiser in Taos, but he guides all over the world. He guides with Van Beacham around Taos, or at least he used to. http://remoteflyfishing.com/

I used to go fishing with him and/or my dad every September, but my son is in high school and playing football now so that messes up my flyfishing. He'll be a senior next year. After that, I'll get my late summers and early falls back for flyfishing. When is the best time for tiger musky?

Comment

Is this the same Rio Grande bordering Tx and Mexico?
            Yes. It starts in Colorado. See the pics I posted earlier to see what it looks like up there.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
              I'm a gear nut, go to for reds is an old gloomis gl 6/7/8 reel and tfo axiom 7 wt rod. Have other set ups that cost a lot more but this one is my favorite, very impressed with tfo for the $.
              Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                Yes. It starts in Colorado. See the pics I posted earlier to see what it looks like up there.
                Yeah those are nice...I had no idea it was that big that high up. Wow.

Comment

Yeah those are nice...I had no idea it was that big that high up. Wow.
                  Depends on the snow melt and time of year. We were there in July 2007. The winter before had huge snowfall totals, so the river was still running very high even in late July.

Comment

did someone say saltwater???

I use two very different rods for saltwater fishing, depending on wind and distance average cast. Close and little wind I use a softer 8/9 St Croix rod with a 9wt line. Windy and longer casts I use a Sage Saltwater RPLX 9wt with a 10wt saltwater taper line.

You don't need a fast action rod for 30 foot casts on reds and trout most of the time.

Comment

Only been fly fishing for 2 yrs or so but became obsessed pretty quickly
                      Attached Files

Comment

I only dabble with it. We've gone to New Mexico the last 3 summers and have had a blast. I love wild brown trout on a dry fly. Bought a tenkara outfit this year and really loved it in the small streams.

Comment

Man I want to go again after this thread! Thanks for the memories and there will be more!

Comment

My favorite has always been fly fishing for big bass. I like fishing the coast but don't get the chance much. While I've done a bit of trout fishing, they just don't excite me like big bass do. I've studied every thing about them since I was a kid and have been very successful at catching them. I'm doing another seminar on catching big bass with the fly rod at the Austin Flyfishers on the 15th. If your in the neighborhood at that time then drop by.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Draco; 01-01-2015, 09:16 PM.

Comment

My personal best

Alaska with Tim and ShaneClick image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2014-06-02 at 12.00.17 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	24355209

Comment

All I do is Flyfish; got a lame blog about it to http://2flyfish4.blogspot.com/

how many of yall are in the Dallas area?

Comment

Working...
                                X