No announcement yet.

22-250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about a single shot thompson center & build it exactly like he needs?? There is something to be said for starting a kid off on a single shot...I would do a 6.8 or BO if he is going to shoot deer.

Comment

I say go for it if it fits him good. Being comfortable is the most important thing I think. If he can shoot comfortably he'll shoot good. I know guys that only shoot the 22-250 for predators,deer and hogs. I've personally seen what a big boars skull looks like after taking a hit in the side of the head with a 55gr. Softpoint. It'll ruin any potential for a euro mount real quick.

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
        Ruger American Ranch Rifle. Has threaded barrel too. They make a compact model in the 300 blackout. It has a shorter Lop. I personally have one because I wanted it as short as possible for truck gun. Can’t go wrong with this. They make it in 223, 7.62x39, 450 bushmaster and 300 blackout.

Lop is 13.75 on ranch
        American compact is 12.50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A .22-250 is my favorite round....little to no recoil and with the correct shot placement I haven’t found anything around here it couldn’t handle. Here is my little one last year, at 7 years old, with a pig she shot with her .22-250
          Attached Files

Comment

I have a ruger american compact 18" barrel 243...the recoil is there but really a non issue but.....the muzzle blast is amazing ...ive had people around me when that sucker goes off and they are shocked by the concussion and report..have been asked if i was shooting hot rounds...nope just factory 100grns...so if you go the short barrel route my advice is lots of ear protection so the blast doesnt scare the bejeezus out of them.

Comment

In an 18” barrel you might as well just get the 223

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                Lop is 13.75 on ranch
                American compact is 12.50

I think you missed my point. There is the Ruger American Ranch and the Ruger American Ranch compact. Mine has the tan factory stock with the 12.5” LOP. There are two versions. Regular and compact in the Ranch Rifle.
                So I have a factory Ruger Ranch in 300 with a 12.5” compact stock

My point is that you don’t have to just look at the plain Ruger American compacts. You can find the Ranch in a youth/compact model. Might open up a couple more good kid friendly calibers with threaded barrels.
                Last edited by FireNguns; 10-09-2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

If you read the discription on this one, it is the compact. Little harder to find but they do exist

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
                    I think you missed my point. There is the Ruger American Ranch and the Ruger American Ranch compact. Mine has the tan factory stock with the 12.5” LOP. There are two versions. Regular and compact in the Ranch Rifle.
                    So I have a factory Ruger Ranch in 300 with a 12.5” compact stock

My point is that you don’t have to just look at the plain Ruger American compacts. You can find the Ranch in a youth/compact model. Might open up a couple more good kid friendly calibers with threaded barrels.

Id love to find a ranch in 300blk with 12.5" lop

Comment

As others have noted, a 18" barreled .22-250 is just a really loud .223. You'd be better off with the .223. It will generate about the same or close enough velocity without the obnoxious muzzle blast. For a new shooter that's important.

LWD

Comment

I would think about getting the .243 in the Ruger American Predator, and you can find a cheap brake and it won't have any recoil.

Comment

I believe the Ruger American 22-250 has a 1:12 twist and I'd go with the 60 Gr Nosler Partition. Soft nose for great expansion and you WILL get an exit!

Comment

Originally posted by jbarr View Post
                            I would think about getting the .243 in the Ruger American Predator, and you can find a cheap brake and it won't have any recoil.

Stock is too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                              What do you want to do with the gun?? To me, 18" is a waste on the 22-250 as you will have a lot of unburned powder with an unnecessarily loud muzzle blast / flash. I like the 223 better if you are set on 18" & 22cal centerfire fun gun.

Lots of other options for deer & kids with 6.8spc & 300 blackout that will kill lots better & still not recoil bad.
                              This ! The 6.8 has very little recoil, a much bigger bullet, and if in an AR, an adjustable stock to fit your kid as he grows.

IMO, the 22-250 for deer, is an experts gun, much like the .410 shotgun. A couple of lost deer will turn a kid off hunting, and there's no need to use a .22.

Yeah, I know, I've heard it all before and .22s will kill deer, but it ain't a deer cartridge.

Comment

Found a really good deal on a tc contender 223. Definately thinking hard on it. I might buy a 6.8 barrel.

Comment

Working...
                                X