No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really like what you are doing. You are several years ahead of me, so I enjoy following along for now.

Where did you order your white oaks from?

Comment

Man I wish I had a place to do this on. I'll continue to follow this thread! Congrats on a nice buck!

Comment

Unclefish, how many plots did you plant? I see a lot of your photos seem to have come from the one big plot. Did you have any others?

Comment

Why did you choose pines?

Comment

Mine is down to the dirt, turned the cows in

Comment

I ordered the chinkapin oaks from the Texas Forestry Site. They probably wont ship til Feb.

I choose virginia pines for the screen because cedars were way more expensive and they suck up alot more water than pines. Virginia pines also make great christmas trees so we will have some ready in 4 years. They are a lower growing thicker variety than loblolly or long leaf. They really fill in nicely for a screen.

We got about 150 in today before I had to leave for my sons basketball game. Will keep the rest in the fridge until we can plant again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358540807529.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	24161243

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358540902897.jpg
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	24161244

Tapachat

Comment

good going on the pines
                you have made some great improvements

Comment

I have 37acres and only one plot. The theory behind it is to get the deer feeding in one central location instead of a main plot and a kill plot. Somewhere they know food will be available pretty much year round.
                  As long as it is secluded and screened from view....you will see more deer during daylight hours.

This is my second year to have a plot in this location and the activity this year was much better than last year.

I'm trying to screen it better so I can get in and out easier when hunting without getting busted. I try to hunt just off the plot and not right on it....although I do have some stands on it that I hunt with a good wind.

Tapachat
                  Last edited by unclefish; 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Can you list the websites you purchased the bare roots at?

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                      I have 37acres and only one plot. The theory behind it is to get the deer feeding in one central location instead of a main plot and a kill plot. Somewhere they know food will be available pretty much year round.
                      As long as it is secluded and screened from view....you will see more deer during daylight hours.

This is my second year to have a plot in this location and the activity this year was much better than last year.

I'm trying to screen it better so I can get in and out easier when hunting without getting busted. I try to hunt just off the plot and not right on it....although I do have some stands on it that I hunt with a good wind.

Tapachat
                      thank you! that is very good info. I plan on one day buying a piece of property and I'm thinking it'll be somewhere around 50 acres. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by rap View Post
                        Can you list the websites you purchased the bare roots at?
                        Texas Seedling Store

NC Seedling Store

Comment

Planted about 75 more virginia pines today to screen off my plot better.

I got a new 18" Husqvarna chainsaw and put it to work and some dead bull mesquites and some smaller dead oaks.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358793278985.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	24161997

I took my trail cams off my feeders and put them on my plots. I got some good deer pics in the plot...I'll post them up when I get home.

Tapachat

Comment

This is one of my favorite threads on tbh ever because this is about land management and hard work. Looks like its paying off. Thx for sharin everything with us.

Comment

Thank you stickinpigs.

Here are a few trail cam pics on the plot. I ran a 5 point out of the radishes this morning. These pics are all on the radish side of the plot.

I set the cams up on the plot 3 days ago. I had all night pictures....screens will help that!!

Comment

Unclefish,
                                Great thread! If you can get your hands a hold of a dibble bar it sure would make quick work of the pine saplings.

Comment

Working...
                                X