Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmac2410 View Post
    I have a bunch of Facebook friends raving about a product called Keto OS. It's a drink mix that claims to put your body into Ketosis within an hour, regardless what you eat. My fiancés mother tried it for a week, and said she was in a better mood and had more energy.

I Have seen some before and after pics of the FB friends I mentioned who are using the Keto OS and the results are hard to believe. I'm typically very skeptical of all the snake oil type stuff but I'm considering giving it a shot.

https://pruvitnow.com/products/

JMO.but yes they might put you in to ketosis faster but that doesn't mean you automatically start burning fat. To my knowledge, which is little on this product, it is nothing but exogenous ketones so, when you **** on the stick, it'll pop for ketones.

And no thank you for $130 for 2 wks supply. Ouch!
    Last edited by icetrauma; 03-20-2017, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bps3040 View Post
      Actually complete opposite. I was type 2 and now do not take medicine. My diet controls it. Same with 2 sisters

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      That's because you're not eating carbs. There's no way this diet is sustainable or healthy. You can't eat all the eggs and bacon, butter and red meat you want and be healthy. Sure, you'll lose weight but that doesn't make it healthy.
      Last edited by panhandlehunter; 03-20-2017, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        That's because you're not eating carbs. There's no way this diet is sustainable or healthy. You can't eat all the eggs and bacon, butter and red meat you want and be healthy. Sure, you'll lose weight but that doesn't make it healthy.

That's why you incorporate healthy fats. Fish, avocado, nuts etc. It doesn't have to be all processed meats.

Comment

Originally posted by jmac2410 View Post
          I have a bunch of Facebook friends raving about a product called Keto OS. It's a drink mix that claims to put your body into Ketosis within an hour, regardless what you eat. My fiancés mother tried it for a week, and said she was in a better mood and had more energy.

I Have seen some before and after pics of the FB friends I mentioned who are using the Keto OS and the results are hard to believe. I'm typically very skeptical of all the snake oil type stuff but I'm considering giving it a shot.

https://pruvitnow.com/products/
          INGREDIENTS: Beta Hydroxybutyrate (Patent Pending), Erythritol, L-Taurine, Fermented L-Leucine, Natural Flavor, Malic Acid, Citric Acid, Stevia, Xanthan Gum, Caffeine‡.

Yeah I'm not seeing squat there.

Ever hear of an essential carbohydrate? That's right they don't exist. Essential amino acids and essential fatty acids DO exist.

Besides, plenty of residual carbs and fibers from green veggies and nuts and avocados and such.

Fact is people live these diets as a permanent lifestyle and they work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
            That's why you incorporate healthy fats. Fish, avocado, nuts etc. It doesn't have to be all processed meats.
            It's still not sustainable. Basically a revised version of the Adkins diet. Once you do fall off the diet wagon you'll gain all the weight you lost back. Eat healthy foods, get a fitbit and get your steps in.

Comment

It's still not sustainable. Basically a revised version of the Adkins diet. Once you do fall off the diet wagon you'll gain all the weight you lost back. Eat healthy foods, get a fitbit and get your steps in.

Not a fan of fitbits. I track my macros and hit the gym 4-6 times a week and 3 days on a bad week. We all have our measuring devices. I use clothes fitting and muscle definition. And how I'm feeling of course.

It's a better version then Atkins. Atkins didn't track calories to my knowledge. Majority of people on keto tend to track better than people did on Atkins. It's all how you eat.
              Last edited by icetrauma; 03-20-2017, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Tell that to the people been on them 10+ years and best cholesterol and hormone numbers they've ever seen in their lives.

The problems the rumormill like this typically come from are the crazy aunt who bought Adkins book and read the first paragraph and a few meal plans and half-assed it for a few months. Educated people who do it right have great success and are more healthy than 90% of the people on this forum.

Having said that, it's not for everybody. Like you said in a previous post a mainstream diet with simple healthy foods and reduced calories will do better for a lot of people that don't have the appropriate discipline or time to research and educate themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter83 View Post
                  This is one of the best misspellings I've seen on here, I tried really hard to figure out what you meant and realized you misspelled deficit, then laughed out loud.
                  Lmao! I never did figure it out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                    Tons of recipes online. It's the new rage so a ton of info available. I like that I can have avocados and bacon
                    It's not new. Just "rebranded" In my research, before I began, I found a diabetic cookbook from the early 20th century outlining this almost to the letter.

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                    If only I could drink coffee....
                    Can't stand the bitterness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every morning, I fill my 32oz Yeti cup:

20 oz coffee
                    2 tbsp organic unsalted butter (or ghee)
                    1 tbsp raw organic cacao powder
                    2 tbsp MCT oil
                    3 tbsp organic heavy whipping cream

Blend it all up with a hand blender in the cup, and it is delicious and creamy. I start drinking on it at 7:00 when I roll out of the house, and usually finish it up around 10:00 when I switch to water for the rest of the day. I don't eat anything until lunch time. If you just stir the ingredients with a spoon, it will separate into layers. You need a high speed blender to emulsify the ingredients.

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    So all you eat is coffee for breakfast? And yall will go to a track 2-3 days a week for the next 15-20 years?

Not to be Debbie downer, but this will be hard to do for a lifetime and after your body is in starvation mode you need more for breakfast. Most important meal of the day
                    Do some searching on what "intermittent fasting" does for your body.

I've been doing this for a few months now, but I far too often fall off the wagon at supper time. I do really good all day, but at night I'm tired, and eat whatever food the rest of the family wants (there are nights I don't get home from my second job until after 9:00). My weight has stayed pretty even. When I do right, my blood sugar is much more under control, and my energy stays pretty even.

No excuses, I know what I need to do, I just need to get off my *** and get some more aerobic exercise. I also need to go to bed at a decent hour. Aside from when I was a teen, I've never been someone that stays in bed long. I usually operate on 4-6 hours of sleep, and I should be getting 7-8.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                      It's not new. Just "rebranded" In my research, before I began, I found a diabetic cookbook from the early 20th century outlining this almost to the letter.

Every morning, I fill my 32oz Yeti cup:

20 oz coffee

2 tbsp organic unsalted butter (or ghee)

1 tbsp raw organic cacao powder

2 tbsp MCT oil

3 tbsp organic heavy whipping cream

Blend it all up with a hand blender in the cup, and it is delicious and creamy. I start drinking on it at 7:00 when I roll out of the house, and usually finish it up around 10:00 when I switch to water for the rest of the day. I don't eat anything until lunch time. If you just stir the ingredients with a spoon, it will separate into layers. You need a high speed blender to emulsify the ingredients.

Do some searching on what "intermittent fasting" does for your body.

I've been doing this for a few months now, but I far too often fall off the wagon at supper time. I do really good all day, but at night I'm tired, and eat whatever food the rest of the family wants (there are nights I don't get home from my second job until after 9:00). My weight has stayed pretty even. When I do right, my blood sugar is much more under control, and my energy stays pretty even.

No excuses, I know what I need to do, I just need to get off my *** and get some more aerobic exercise. I also need to go to bed at a decent hour. Aside from when I was a teen, I've never been someone that stays in bed long. I usually operate on 4-6 hours of sleep, and I should be getting 7-8.

What is mtc oil?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If it's not sustainable why was it created in the 1940's for children with epilepsy. It's been proven to reduce seizures in those patients. Also think how your great grandparents cooked. They are eggs, bacon and cooked with Lars and real butter and though cancer and such was around it wasn't in the numbers it is today

Comment

I did this diet back in May of last year, and stopped in August. I went from 207 to 165, and went from around 20% bf to around 13%. I was never tired, didn't have the after lunch lull, never had a problem getting up @ 0300 for work. Sounds too good to be true right? Be careful with this diet. Turns out this diet can leave you malnutritioned, and lacking important minerals for your body to function. In June I noticed I started having heart palpitations, and decided to go see a cardiologist just to make sure nothing was wrong. I only had them when I was sitting still, when working out or working in the yard, they didn't exist. Turns out, they were heart arrhythmias, non-sustained tachycardia. They can be caused by insufficient electrolytes in your diet, very common on this diet. Also, this diet increases adrenaline in your blood stream, which leads to irregular heart beats and heart arrhythmias. Make sure you take a supplement, and pay close attention to what your body is telling you. Since, I've had a defibrillator implanted, and have talked with other people with defibrillators. Several people went into sudden cardiac arrest on this diet, and put them close to death. Do your research. I agree with panhandlehunter, this is not something you want to stay on forever. This is great to lose body fat, but I think your best option is to ease into a paleo diet. It's more sustainable, and you aren't holding out any important nutrition from your body. Good luck on your weight loss!

Comment

If anyone wants some easy recipes for this diet, I have several I can help ya out with. This is a great diet to stay on for a month or so, even do carb cycling.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                              I know I'll never hit my ideal BMI-crap-weight of 155. I will target to get down to 175 if I am strong.
                              I believe the BMI stuff is BS as a rule. Our company does that as part of our fitness review annually. I'm fit and exercise daily with a BMI of 26 while the guy with a pear shape next to me has a BMI of 17. If I get to the weight chart I'd look like a holocaust victim.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                So all you eat is coffee for breakfast? And yall will go to a track 2-3 days a week for the next 15-20 years?

Not to be Debbie downer, but this will be hard to do for a lifetime and after your body is in starvation mode you need more for breakfast. Most important meal of the day

Ketosis and Starvation Mode are to separate things. Bulletproof Coffee is not just coffee. Look it up. I don't consider your comments a downer, just not well informed.
                                I agree that one should not necessarily stay in ketosis for the rest of their days. But if it means that I am not carrying around 80-100 extra lbs and I can cut back or eliminate regulatory meds, then sign me up. Reintroducing some of the foods that kill the ketosis will be essential to the maintenance mode of the dramatic results of the Keto way of eating.

Comment

Working...
                                X