Cajun secret pirogue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
    Are you using wire or zips ties to stitch with? Don't tighten anything until you have the entire hull loosely stitched together.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    These pland actually call for pilot drilling into the bow stems. Put in stainless screws until everything is lined up, then removing it all, apply glue and reinstall the sides and screws by hand so as not to sink the screws through the ply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm also debating in my head whether or not to bevel the ends of the side where they will meet each other on the points of the bow stems, or leave them squared off and use the epoxy and saw dust goop to round it out. Thinking the later option so that there's not a hard point on the front to be damaged or dinged when i bump something

Comment

Definitely a different way of going about it than the stitch and glue method I have used to build a few boats.

You are making good progress though and I am in for the results.

I use Jacques' plans over at bateau. They have a good forum too with a lot of build threads.

T

Comment

As son as I get a shop built, this'll be my number one project.

Comment

This day is dragging hard. Work is dead and I'm just counting down the time. Hoping to go get the screws i need tonight and get started preparing to mount the sides to the stems

Comment

following...

Comment

Got one side drilled, temporarily atrached and trying to line up the other side. Not really easy but making it work. Hard to leave one side on and get the other side perfect. Having to rig up stuff to hold the 2 sides spread apart. Not enough saw horses apparently

Comment

Think/hope that will do

Comment

One end glued and screwed. Dry time for now. Have to build some spacers next to spread the center apart to help with the angle on the other end. Think it also makes sure the sides are the proper distance while getting the bottom piece set. Not sure, will see how it works when the time comes. Now i have to fog the barn. Getting tore up from skeeters

Comment

The plans give you measurements for where to put the screws which is what all the lines are. They put them pretty close but spaced just enough so they dont touch and still distribute pressure evenly. I used 1 inch counter sunk screws and predrilled the holes with a counter sink bit so the .25 ply didn't split. The plans do call for all this. Calls for stainless screws but could only find zinc, along with the small for the nails I'll use later. I'm going to glass it so I'm not worried about material there. The plans don't glass so they want stainless screws and brass nails.

Figured out that a couple of the other cuts on the bow stems line up a nice edge parallel to the faces that the side mate to. Allows for easy use of the clamps to hold the sides in place while you mark and insert the first 2 screws to hold in place. Didn't notice that earlier. At first it was challenging to figure out how to stand up the sides to fit the second piece, but with some help from the feed cans and saw horses already in play, it was pretty easy.

More to come this weekend around writing another research paper and a test coming up. I'm so tired of school. Can't wait to get these classes done and pass the cpa exam so i can have more free time after 6 years of college.

Last edited by AJMag; 06-29-2017, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Looking good

Couple of things I learned when I built one

1) You don't need to make the cut you spent so much time laying out along the bottom of the side pieces (shallow, long arc). The sides will naturally bow without it and you will have more side depth mid ship which allows more weight

2) there is a way to cut the stern so that it covers the plywood ends. I have some laying around that I will try and remember to post some pics of to show what I am talking about

3) Gorilla glue will still be holding when the rest of the boat is worn and rotting

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          Looking good

Couple of things I learned when I built one

1) You don't need to make the cut you spent so much time laying out along the bottom of the side pieces (shallow, long arc). The sides will naturally bow without it and you will have more side depth mid ship which allows more weight

2) there is a way to cut the stern so that it covers the plywood ends. I have some laying around that I will try and remember to post some pics of to show what I am talking about

3) Gorilla glue will still be holding when the rest of the boat is worn and rotting
                          Did you build from these same plans? I was wondering about the arch in the sides, but I really like the lines of the boat so I went with it. It calls for a skeg, so I think I'm going to go ahead and extend it up along the front edges to cover up the putty job I'll do and add a little extra strength for my reckless driving skills.

Comment

Very nice project, and you're coming right along! Thanks for sharing the info and techniques your using.

Comment

Looking good Andy!

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                                Did you build from these same plans? I was wondering about the arch in the sides, but I really like the lines of the boat so I went with it. It calls for a skeg, so I think I'm going to go ahead and extend it up along the front edges to cover up the putty job I'll do and add a little extra strength for my reckless driving skills.
                                No plans

I have a friend that is a draftsman, we looked at every plan and DIY thread we could find online and then drew our own "plans" up

We glued a strip of 1" x 1/2" oak up the center for a keel but stopped it short of the ends by about a foot

Until we glassed the seams we built them in the buddy's dining room

Comment

Working...
                                X