When to Stop Protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to Stop Protein

Just wanted to check and see if you feed protein year round or do you stop at some point.

We keep one feeder running all year in the middle of our property, but we switched all of our other protein feeders to corn feeders last weekend.

Comment

We feed until hunting season. Bucks are hard horn and does are weening. Mostly for the does that are feeding babies at this point. Most bucks are about as big as they are going to get by now.

Comment

I am stoppign this year whenever it runs out. SHould be next 2-3 weeks

Comment

Filling up one more time this week and should get us to the end of september, then just corn.
          Start back up in January!!

Comment

I kept my running year around on the lease I was on because I didn't have a food plot or anything besides corn to draw them in. I figured when they start the rut the protein will help them out and it will draw them in. They might eat it at night, just like they will on a food plot, but at least it kept them coming to my area. Just my thought, but it didn't cost me much to keep it going and I thought it was worth it.

Comment

is another thread like this.
              I feed year round and strongly believe in water stations also.

Comment

I will back off now that the velvets off and refill protein feeders post rut near the food plots

Comment

About Sep 15th for us. Then refill everything in January when it gets cold cold.

Comment

Feed it year round on our property, keeps them used to coming over to our place, instead of the neighbors.

Comment

IMO, and I'm not saying its wrong just saying it doesn't fit my goals or management theories, the folks who stop feeding protein after antler development are only focusing on a small fraction in the antler development equation. Anytime any deer, including the does and older fawns, gets some quality feed, be it protein or food plots, they benefit from it and last time I checked all deer continue to eat and need sustenance year round. We don't stop eating when a certain time of the year roles around?

Comment

Bassmatt72-

I agree with you 100%. I believe feeding protein year-round is very important. We just had to stop feeding 20% protein pellets because we have already fed 20,000lbs and our wallets were getting emptied. We will continue to feed alfalfa, cottonseed and rice bran along with corn from September through December and we will keep our 1,000lb trough filled with protein year-round. The cottonseed, alfalfa and rice bran will help give the deer some extra protein and fat, while helping us keep our feed bill down. We have a fairly small piece of property (400 acres), but our neighbors don't feed protein so we get a lot of their deer during the off-season.

Comment

bgleaton, where do you get your cottonseed from, i am in llano and have had trouble finding

Comment

I have driven to the Mereta Cotton Gin and I have also had a buddy bring a load up from Waco, TX (Cape & Sons). You will need to call ahead of time to see if they have any because a lot of it is under contract. There are some feed stores that sell it in bags, but the price is almost the same as 20% protein, so I normally go to the cotton gins and buy it by the truckload.

Comment

Stop when you die.

Comment

Working...
                              X