Pellet gun help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet gun help

I grew up shooting a Benjamin pellet gun and have killed a ton of animals with it but never had any luck with a scope on a pellet gun.
    I'm looking for a pellet gun with a scope for me and the kids to shoot at the house that will stay sighted in good enough to build confidence shooting. Thanks

Look at the RWS brand and different models. I currently have the RWS 48. These are middle of the road $ price. They are accurate but they can be heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by mudbone View Post
      Look at the RWS brand and different models. I currently have the RWS 48. These are middle of the road $ price. They are accurate but they can be heavy.

Thanks, we will be shooting from a bench on the porch so that's not a problem. How far do you have yours sighted in for?

Comment

We have 3 gamos with scopes. One my kid finally wore out and two whisper cats. I have been happy with the whispers. My wifes got drug out the other day and its still dead nuts accurate to 40 yards maybe more

Comment

I just cant get a springer to shoot consistently good. with or without scope.

Comment

You must use a scope specifically made for pellet guns. Even the very best rifle scopes will fail on pellet guns due to the sharp, reverse recoil that the spring or piston imparts to them.

Comment

I've also heard springers need a different type scope, not sure if your's is a spring action type or not though

Comment

Another vote for a gamo. Got my son one for Christmas. Its super accurate with a nice scope and trigger.

Comment

I have a Benjamin Titan Nitro piston in the classifieds less than a year old and only shot a handful of times

Comment

22 caliber with a scope

Heck of a deal. If it doesnt sell this week Im keeping it

Comment

I went a different route and found complete happiness for my purpose.

Comment

For your application, probably your best bet would be to go with a spring air or nitro piston break-barrel gun. They are low maintenance and generally very accurate (one hole accuracy with good ammo out to 30 yards and beyond). There are 3 characteristics for break-barrel air guns that if controlled will make you a better shooter and happy with the results of shooting them.
                        1. They can be heavy. If a break barrel air gun is NOT heavy, it's not well made. It takes some steel to manufacture this type of gun because of the high energy stored in the spring or gas piston and sudden high dynamic forces involved in the firing of the gun.
                        2. Because of those dynamics of a piston slamming forward very rapidly to generate the air charge/energy to launch the projectile, they can destroy many rifle scopes. A scope no matter the quality must be spring/air rated in order to be successfully used on a spring air gun. FYI, ALL Hawke Sport Optic scopes are air gun rated AND they have a very nice free software/app for ballistics specifically designed for air guns (chair gun pro).
                        3. Again because of the recoil characteristics of a break-barrel air gun, they can be challenging to shoot accurately. The pellet travels down the barrel rapidly, but not like a powder burner bullet fired from a regular gun. The reverse recoil can cause the muzzle to be at a different place when the pellet exits the barrel from one shot to the next... They are almost impossible to hold still during the firing sequence. Therefore it is best to let them "do their thing"... let the barrel "jump" as it wants. If this is done, they are extremely accurate. If you want to learn how to do this consistently, you need to learn to master the "artillery hold" when shooting them. Just get on you tube or the googler and search that term for air guns... Basically, the gun is caressed rather than held tightly. The fore end rests flat in the palm of the forward hand so that it is free to move. The stock is held no tighter with the trigger hand than is necessary to keep in mounted and fired. With a little practice, you can become very proficient with this hold. And, this will in turn help your accuracy with a powder burner because by its very nature it teaches you better trigger control.
                        If you want to learn all about these guns and even a good place to buy them and quality ammo, go to www.pyramidair.com .

Comment

I have a Maurader .177cal listed for sale in the classifieds. Do a search of my name.

Comment

I had a beman .22 cal that was stupid accurate out to about 80 yards,, I do not recall what scope was on it but I did try every pellet I could get my hands on till I found the one it really liked,,, I am thinking about getting another or a whisper pretty soon

Comment

wrong topic....
                              Last edited by CTR0022; 02-07-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X