No announcement yet.

Pitcher son's progress; school axing sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case you want to toggle back and forth between official work duties and game info, the Live Stats and Play by Play will be up once the 3 p.m. game starts, and here's a link for that (maybe it's a slow day at work )

Real time live stats for your favorite team powered by SIDEARM Sports. One location for your team's Stat summaries, Individual stats, Team stats, Team leaders, Play by plays, Split Box scores and more.

Comment

Bad deal, I experienced a similar situation after my soph season, bright side is they'll all be eligible immediately wherever they land. Good luck to your son and his teammates.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
        Bad deal, I experienced a similar situation after my soph season, bright side is they'll all be eligible immediately wherever they land. Good luck to your son and his teammates.
        Thanks. Immediate eligibility a definite plus.

Did most of y'all catch on? Baseball is a pretty small world, as far as taking care of each other.

Comment

I hate hearing that. Best of luck to your son!

Comment

Update from yesterday's game. Our Team won 26-17.

Eric pitched the 9th in a non-save situation and got 3 up/ 3 down via strikeout, popup and groundout. He now has a 1.86 ERA, with 20 K's over 19.1 innings. Said he threw mostly sliders.
            Last edited by tradtiger; 04-11-2018, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
              Update from yesterday's game. Our Team won 26-17.

Eric pitched the 9th in a non-save situation and got 3 up/ 3 down via strikeout, popup and groundout. He now has a 1.86 ERA, with 20 K's over 19.1 innings. Said he threw mostly sliders.
              26-17 ???????? baseball score?????

Comment

Originally posted by muzzyslinger View Post
                26-17 ???????? baseball score?????
                I know.

We (UNK) have a lot of homerun hitters, and Fort Hays State hitters were real aggressive and could hit fastballs. Seemed like a football game, where the team with the ball last would win. I was glad Eric could hold them hitless in the last inning.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. Immediate eligibility a definite plus.

Did most of y'all catch on? Baseball is a pretty small world, as far as taking care of each other.
                  I was a football player in college, West Texas State, dropped after 1990 season for similar reasons as Kearney but also involved NCAA issues (we actually played Kearney). Almost all of us underclassmen that were starters were picked up on scholarship and most of us went up in classification, several of my teammates ended up being DI all conference and one was an All-American. We were a pretty good bargain for DI schools with our playing experience and immediate eligibility. I had played against John Randle (I was playing, he was actually assaulting or quite possibly attempting to murder me), Keith Traylor, Michael Sinclair and several other NFL D lineman in DII.

Baseball is a little different world (my brother was a DI baseball player) but I would think the guys with that level of experience will still be viewed as a bargain to the other schools that are looking.

Best of luck to your son, I know he can't help but feel like he has been betrayed by the university but at least in my experience the outcome was better for me...I ended up getting to play (albeit not very well) and later coach at the DI level, would likely have never happened if I had stayed at WT all 4 years.

Comment

Thanks for relating your experience, coach. Must have really been tough facing some of those future NFL guys.

You just never know where talent may come from. I'll be intetested to see where some of these guys go.

Comment

Thanks for relating your experience, coach. Must have really been tough facing some of those future NFL guys.

You just never know where talent may come from. I'll be intetested to see where some of these guys go.

You bet but haven't been a Coach in more than 20 years.

It was like child abuse playing those guys but it taught me at 18 that I better find another career path soon, NFL wasn't happening for this kid.

Sending you pm

Comment

I would venture to say there is more going on behind closed doors that parents don't know

Comment

You bet but haven't been a Coach in more than 20 years.

It was like child abuse playing those guys but it taught me at 18 that I better find another career path soon, NFL wasn't happening for this kid.

Sending you pm
                          If you're ever a coach, you're always a coach.

PM answered. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                            Sorry to hear this. Glad he has other options. I hope it works out well.

I went through this 2 years ago at Paris JC with a golf program that had been around since 1916. Myself and the volleyball coach were brought in by an academic guy. This was in late May!! We both had already resigned our to be returning Sophomores and had recruited our Freshman class. All the freshman had been committed since December and been given their scholarships offers for the Fall.
                            This was the most disrespectful and hideous thing of all. All those plans by kids and parents went up in smoke with no chance of finding a place to go with such short notice. Most embarrassing thing I have ever been part of.

The whole thing was over money. In our case to save about $150000. Admins will drop programs at the drop of a hat without small town community support. In a small town if a proper board is in place and the community rallies around the sports teams then and only then will the admins get dropped before the sports do. The board at our place could careless about sports. So that was it!

The President in our case was a gutless coward for not to telling us and our players her self!!!!!!!

Programs are being cut all the time unfortunately. The big schools get bigger and the small schools barely survive.

San Jac down in the Houston area just dropped the men's basketball team this year.

I hope he finds another place where he is wanted.
                            Yes they did. but in all honesty they are known for BASEBALL!!!
                            Yep, I see only upside honestly. I know folks are aware of this situation and needing some kids that can overcome..........LIFE!

Comment

Plenty of life lessons in baseball, generally. It's a hard game. Failure is a big part of it. Shoot, "failing" 7 out of 10 at bats will get you in the Hall of Fame.

Comment

Eric just got another Save (his 6th). Entered with one on, one out, and got a groundball double play to end the game in a 6-3 win over Washburn. (1st game of a double header; should be able to get streaming video and play by play at links provided above.) Second game underway.

Comment

Working...
                                X