The "I don't know Africa thread"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tex8569 View Post
    You can do it any where in South Africa. Its like saying do you want a free range or high fence hunt in Texas for whitetail or specifically the Hill Country?

Zander Osmers hunts near Kruger and can do combo hunting and national park trips. Ill say the same thing about the US where Ive hunted free range next to Teton National Park and came home without a shot opportunity, its all wild. There are many outfitters on the Zim Mozambique and Botswana border who are free range. Some of the big guys with access to lots of free range and/or HF ranches are Tam, Chattaronga, Madabula, Blauwkrantz. Theres another outfit in the cape who is free range but I cant for the life of me remember the name. Talk to Bowhunting Safari Consultants or go to one of the many safari club gatherings across Texas to talk to outfitters and hunters personally. Or PM me for more detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks man, problem solved. I have a mule deer hunt through BSC this fall and like the idea of going through them since they have it all pre-screened and I can tell them what I am looking for. (Which at this point not 100% sure what that is yet, just thinking about it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
      Thanks man, problem solved. I have a mule deer hunt through BSC this fall and like the idea of going through them since they have it all pre-screened and I can tell them what I am looking for. (Which at this point not 100% sure what that is yet, just thinking about it.)
      Also take a look at Limcroma. I go with them every time. Top notch outfitter and they have access to all kinds of land in several different countries. Hannes will set you up with whatever type of hunt you want. Doesn't have to be in South Africa, can be Botswana, Namibia, Tanzania, etc.... I will vouch for them as will many others on here that you will get straight answers to your questions. No lies.

Comment

I will be returning to SA next year for my second time, first was about 5 years ago. We had a group of 5 friends and it was a blast. We flung a bunch of arrows. Yes it was HF but most of the properties were large. My main target animal was a big Kudu. The outfitter I hunted with worked with other ranchers and we hunted different places each day depending on the animal you were after. I think I hunted three different ranches before I got on a good Kudu. We built a makeshift ground blind over a natural water hole and was able to connect.
        I really enjoyed traveling and meeting the landowners and seeing new country each day.
        Attached Files

Comment

I know A LOT of people who have been to SA hunting, some numerous times, and I don't know a single person who doesn't want to go back..... Myself included... It's a blast... High fences can't keep out the Black Mamba or the Gaboon Viper.... Have one of those show up while bowhunting a ground blind and you'll be plenty excited.. I know first hand..

Namibia is next on the list..

Comment

Lot's of good outfitters for a hunter going to Africa. I use one that is a bowhunting outfit ony and if you are wanting a HUGE Kudu, over 60" this might be a good place to go. He has killed 12 over 60" in the last 2 years, all bowhunting!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              Lot's of good outfitters for a hunter going to Africa. I use one that is a bowhunting outfit ony and if you are wanting a HUGE Kudu, over 60" this might be a good place to go. He has killed 12 over 60" in the last 2 years, all bowhunting!
              Outfitters please..... 60 inchers are not real common these days.. That's my goal.

Comment

Does the highfence count if the animals can jump over it? LOL

High fence in Africa is much different than here in the states. Kudu, Eland and others can jump an 8' high fence with ease.

Alot of ranches high fenced their properties due to government regulation basically saying low fence ranches deem the animals part of province/government property (in Limpopo I believe). Ranchers didn't like this and thus many of them high-fenced their properties to keep the government out.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                  Also take a look at Limcroma. I go with them every time. Top notch outfitter and they have access to all kinds of land in several different countries. Hannes will set you up with whatever type of hunt you want. Doesn't have to be in South Africa, can be Botswana, Namibia, Tanzania, etc.... I will vouch for them as will many others on here that you will get straight answers to your questions. No lies.
                  Lord willing, and if political strife doesn't shift against us, myself and 7 other TBH'ers (including 3 of our wives) are going to SA, and will hunt with Limcroma in Aug 2019.
                  Last edited by HeyMikey; 04-03-2018, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                    Lord willing, and if political strife doesn't shift against us, myself and 7 other TBH'ers (including 3 of our wives) are going to SA, and will hunt with Limcroma in Aug 2019.
                    I'll get everything warmed up for you. I'll be there with my wife in July 2019. Can't guarantee I'll leave any animals though . Your first time? Let me know if you have any questions. PM me. It will be my wife and I's fourth trip with Limcroma. Too bad you can't shift it up to July 10-20

Comment

I'll get everything warmed up for you. I'll be there with my wife in July 2019. Can't guarantee I'll leave any animals though . Your first time? Let me know if you have any questions. PM me. It will be my wife and I's fourth trip with Limcroma. Too bad you can't shift it up to July 10-20
                      Thanks! It will be the first trip for 2 couples (incl us), and another buddy of mine. We're going with another buddy (and his wife), who've already hunted with Limcroma 3 times.

Comment

Some interesting and mostly accurate replies to the OP... I think Mudslinger summed up the overall African experience very well in his first post. I have been very lucky to have hunted Africa many times including 5 African countries and all of the provinces of South Africa. And like rlandner, I have hunted with Limcroma Safaris on our last 4 trips over... On these hunts, we have hunted high fence, low fence, and completely wild areas. There are pros and cons to each, but all were amazing experiences nonetheless.... I have also hunted Texas and with the exception of a few truly large ranches, Texas does not compare to South Africa in my opinion. On average, the high fence properties in South Africa are much, much larger...

I can also vouch that Hannes Els, the owner, is one of the most ethical, honest, and sincere outfitters you will ever encounter. There are many reputable, well-established outfitters in South Africa capable of providing you with a great safari experience. Unfortunately there are also enough of the others out there that will do or say anything to get you to book with them. Do your research, read hunting reports, and check your references thoroughly to ensure that you are booking with true professionals.

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                        Lots of prospective clients have contacted me recently sharing your concerns over the recent topic of the threat of government sanctioned land re-appropriation in South Africa. Here is the newsletter addressing that concern from Limcroma Safaris. I think this statement will be informative for anyone contemplating a safari in the next year or two regardless of the outfitter you are hunting with:

The facts about the land expropriation debate in South Africa

We have received a number of concerned emails and inquiries following the headlines on news networks about the South African governments announcement regarding land expropriation. As it is typical from the media, not all information was published and some of this news was blown completely out of proportion.

The new president, Cyril Ramaphosa, is a smart business man, landowner and game rancher. He announced that the process of land expropriation will not be done to the extend of the process destabilizing the agricultural sector, without endangering food security in our country and without undermining economic growth and job creation. Furthermore, the current constitution does not allow for private owned land expropriation without compensation and last week the new president himself announced that they will not allow any illegal land grabs.

We have heard political talk about land distribution numerous times in the past. It is a way of speech for new government or opposition to gain support and win votes. We intend to go about business as usual without any problems, and we encourage our prospective guests to not allow this latest political rhetoric to detour your plans for what is sure to be a trip of a lifetime with us at Limcroma!

As a final note, please understand that the safety and well-being of our guests is always our #1 priority. In all of our years in the safari business, we have never had a single incident where the safety of our guests was compromised. All of our staff members are experienced professionals and any guest of ours will never be unchaperoned or exposed to a compromising situation during their stay with us. We will continue to stay on top of any developments, and we would immediately communicate any facts to our guests should there ever be a need for concern. We look forward to the privilege of hosting you in camp very soon!

Warm Regards, Hannes Els
                        Owner/Outfitter Limcroma Safaris

Comment

Working...
                        X