No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope all this rain isnt causing you to much grief! Been coming down for a couple days now.

Comment

Planting time on the farm today. We are drilling per acre 50 lbs cow peas, 25 lbs soybeans, 10 lbs sunn hemp and 6 lbs sunflower. This into a field planted last fall in 100 lbs rye, 50 lbs wheat, 10 lbs crimson 3 lbs radishes, 1 lb turnips, and 1 lb rape. The field was amended with 3 tons/acre chicken litter last fall.

Tomorrow I will spray with gly.

I planted this exact mixture about a week ago in a field left fallow by flooding. It's already growing well but will be interesting to compare the 2 fields
      Attached Files

Comment

Did I mention I like what the chicken litter does? We received 125 tons today.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm glad to see a positive update, I thought you would be bracing for the 3rd flood of the year. The Red is in the news again. Good luck with the planting.

Mr. Sid

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Sid View Post
            I'm glad to see a positive update, I thought you would be bracing for the 3rd flood of the year. The Red is in the news again. Good luck with the planting.

Mr. Sid
            Yep, we are under some flooding yet again. its likely the field I planted a couple weeks ago will go partially under. Cant get to it now cause of the water.

My neighbor may lose most of the fields he just planted Friday. Discouraging. Fortunately the fields I'm planting now will not go under.....hopefully.

Comment

Found this Saturday while running the tractor. Small side of a 4 yr old non typical. 24" mass scoring 81". Think the other side is about 10" bigger.
              Attached Files

Comment

Great find

Comment

Yikes, thats some serious bone !

Comment

Planted my dove field this morning in a combination of brown top millet, proso millet, and Jap millet. Sprayed with gly as soon as planting was complete. Unfortunately found a 1 day old fawn with the drill in the process. Collateral damage. This was the last planting of the summer and I hoped we would escape without this happening.

Oh well I guess that is my farm managers buck for the year.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That sucks, sorry that happened. Hope you avoid the flooding this go round. We have the opposite problem in west Texas, although we have been getting some rain as of late.

Comment

Great Shed, Sucks about the Fawn

Comment

Man that sucks about the fawn. I know it happens every year with farmers and ranchers that cut hay. My SIL has a fawn at her house right now, not by choice. She was on the way home a few weeks ago and it was bedded down in the middle of the road. Guess momma got hit somewhere or left it right there in the middle of the county road. She tried shooing it off the road multiple times but it would just follow her back onto the road and lay down. People fly down that road and she was afraid of it getting hit. She didn't want to touch it or anything cause she knows how that can affect the momma coming back for it. Then it started following her down the road in her truck. So needless to say, last I heard she has a fawn at home she is trying to feed. Luckily there is a high fence ranch down the road from her that bought a miniature horse from her recently. She talked to the owners about the fawn and they said if she could get it raised up and feeding on its own then she could bring it by and they would turn it loose on the ranch and make it off limits to shoot. It is a little doe. Not sure if they would tag her or what to identify her, but that is what they have said.

Comment

Ouch, found this one while conducting a browse survey yesterday. Was a 4 yr old I was looking forward to seeing this season.

Think I'm going to start adding a little marijuana to my food plots to mellow the buck out a bit and control fighting
                            Attached Files

Comment

Spreading chicken litter today . I will appreciate it if no one tells the co op I'm using their lime cart for chicken ****
                              Attached Files

Comment

Dang that was a nice animal!

Comment

Working...
                                X