No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know at the state park its in the rules when you sign up that you cannot carry even if licensed. And they will remind at least a couple of times when you sign up. Not sure about TBR. Pretty western out there.

Comment

Talked to game warden about that last year. He said no handguns or concealed guns unless you have a concealed handgun permit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

TBR Updates

All,

Here are the updates the TBR Public Hunting Lands program:

• Season structure generally remains the same as last year. Note that dove season on TBR is from September 1st to the 29th which differs from the statewide season

• Transportation management plan is still under development. The contract with the U.S. Forest Service to conduct their environmental assessment should be finalized and signed in the near future. Once signed, they will begin reviewing all current roads and trails for approval/disapproval and/or re-routing

• Two dove fields were planted in Areas 2 and 3, but the rains cheated us this year. We received a small amount of rain in the beginning which caused the milo/millet to sprout by the heat killed it because the roots didn’t take hold deep enough. We’ll try again with sunflower most likely next year. That said, the soil disturbance has caused a lot of forbs to sprout and the deer are loving those areas right now

• Fire management plan is currently being developed on the state and federal level and we hope to do some prescribed burns in the future which will really help the habitat.

• Brush sculpting is also being looked at as well

• Aerial survey is tentatively scheduled for late October or very early November

NEW: We have added approximately 300 more acres of Archery Only/Walk-in Only land that we’ve designated as compartment/area 9. This will be open to the public beginning September 1st, 2017. Parking for this area will be located off Spillway Road. Parking along Knickerbocker Road is illegal due the airport’s proximity. This area also has a ¼ mile sidewalk that we hope to clear of brush for handicap access

NEW: A Gear Tag containing name, address, and date set is required on all traps, blinds, and game cameras used in the area. All public hunting lands have a 72 hour “in place” limit on hunting blinds

• Remember baiting is by hand broadcast only. We confiscated several illegal feeders last year and will continue to patrol the area by helicopter on occasion to locate illegal feeders

• Note that the EQ channel is not open to hunting; refer to map

• You will see a new fence in Area 4 which is a watering lane that a landowner has rights to. All the cattle have been removed to this area and there is drive thru access as required

• Area 8 had an area where the fencing was down and cattle were seen in this area. The landowner has assured me this area will be properly fenced to keep cattle out by the start of archery season

Some concluding thoughts:

We held a community clean up on June 10th and nearly filled up two 40 yard dumpsters with the help of nearly 80 volunteers. I was a bit disappointed to return a week later to the boat launch area at the South Pool and find it full of trash.

I know that change will take time but my hope is that we all take ownership of TBR and begin to view that the change starts with us individually. If you can spare a trash bag and 30 minutes, pick an area and leave it cleaner than you found it. If you see a bottle in the road, stop and pick it up. Keeping TBR clean starts with us so if you pack it in, please pack it out.

We will be doing another informal clean up on September 23rd for about 3 hours. Details will follow in future posts.

Thanks for all your time,

Lt. Jason Huebner

Comment

Has anyone done any scouting at TBR. Planning on spending a week down there in December. Hope to meet some of you guys sometime. Going to chase some elk in Colorado for a about 15 days next month. Hope those bulls are worked up when I get there. See you boys in December[emoji1018]

Comment

Comment

Ok guys, I know when duck hunting shooting time is half hour before and half hour after. Is it the same for deer?

Comment

As near as I can read on the map, the new bow area at TBR is bordered by fishermens red and spring creek red and spillway red. Is this the case?

Comment

new tbr archery only

As far as I can see on the map that seems pretty accurate. I'm sure the fence lines will hash out the minute details of the property, but that seems to be the rough outline of the property.

Comment

Detailed Compartment Maps

Click this link here for Detailed Compartment Maps.

Fisherman's Road doesn't really border it at all except for a very tiny corner in the NE panhandle part of Compartment (Area) 9. Spillway Road borders it on the west side and then Spring Creek Road on the north/northwest

Comment

Originally posted by howhandi View Post
                      Ok guys, I know when duck hunting shooting time is half hour before and half hour after. Is it the same for deer?
                      Duck hunting on TBR is half hour before sunrise to noon only. There is no afternoon/evening waterfowl hunting. Reason: We are trying to encourage the ducks to recognize TBR as a safe roosting site and it takes a number of years before the offspring are able to learn.

Also, all migratory bird (dove, duck, geese, etc.) hunting ends at sunset.

Deer hunting is half hour before and half hour after....

Comment

Does anybody here have any advice for SP. I am thinking about trying this year but unsure which area to concentrate on.

Comment

I can not figure out how to post pics here. I have seen some good ones on camera this year.

Comment

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

[emoji23]
                            Last edited by JDVerfurth; 09-16-2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

So who is hunting this weekend? I am planning on Sunday as I work tomorrow. Good luck and good hunting. Also if anybody can help me figure out how to post pics here please do.

Comment

Anyone connect this morning on TBR? Any pics?... I’m sure bowhunters number are down with these amazing new fees we never had to pay before. Post pics!

Comment

Working...
                                X