No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully the rain in the last couple of weeks has some stuff growing for you. How was the egyptian wheat working out last time you were out there? We've talked about yaupons and a bunch of other stuff for a screen at my friends place, but this appears that it would be an effective screen much faster.

Comment

It E. Wheat was up and growing a month ago (maybe 10 inches tall) but I'm not sure it made it with lack or rain the last month. I'll check on it this weekend and post up some pics of everything.

Comment

Man I hate cows. I love this thread and hate to see that they got into your plots. Hopefully, it will all look good this weekend!

Comment

Went out and worked at my farm in the heat of the day....just brutal.

I poured almost 2 inches of rain out of the gauge from last week but it was far too late to save the plots from the previous month of no rain and cow destruction. The ground just soaked it up....you would never know it rained. My water hole is almost dry.

2 of my chinkapin oaks have survived out of 8. I just could not get out enough to keep them all watered. But I watered the survivors today.....

Down the tube....

The food plots are now dove plots...

Croton and tea weed everywhere...I kicked up alot of doves feeding in here this afternoon.
          Last edited by unclefish; 07-28-2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

So do you still have hopes that the clover will come back?

Comment

Big Creek runs through my place on its way to Lake Somerville...but it has only had water running briefly for one day since last year.

Dry Big Creek

I got my feeder in the woods going so hopefully I'll soon see what bucks survived from last year. The deer have a bedding area close to this area (initial hinge cutting and never going into the thick stuff have kept the deer using it for the last 3 years).

I had some big dead bull mesquites so I broke out the husky.

I had several this size and ended up with about a half cord. I counted about 30 rings on the biggest mesquite.

This dead oak is next but couldn't get to it today.

Comment

Originally posted by bwool View Post
                So do you still have hopes that the clover will come back?
                I believe it will because it went to seed well before the cows got in. We will see how it turns out.

Comment

Is that the Durana? Is that the clover you've been the most impressed with?

Comment

Thanks for keeping this thread going. I have found it very informative. I am thinking of trying the East Texas Fall blend this year. I will probably add turnips to it also. I was also thinking of adding Durana clover.
                    Where do you get your Durana? I've heard that Poudre Feed in Colorado has it for $4.75/lb. I haven't checked to verify but I may give them a call.
                    I have found that oats, rye, turnips and clover make a very good blend. I plant in early September and it has something green from October to July of the following year.
                    Just don't put too much oats and rye in the blend. They will crowd out any other seeds in the blend.

Comment

Originally posted by bwool View Post
                      Is that the Durana? Is that the clover you've been the most impressed with?
                      Yes I planted it along with some crimson and red clover and it completely out competed all the others. It was doing great until June when the cows ate it. Its really a perennial (up north) that acts like a reseeding annual so you do have to plant it every year. In wet summers I bet it would last year round....even down here.

There are some others I would like to try as well....the Whitetail Institute White clover is supposed to be good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
                        Thanks for keeping this thread going. I have found it very informative. I am thinking of trying the East Texas Fall blend this year. I will probably add turnips to it also. I was also thinking of adding Durana clover.
                        Where do you get your Durana? I've heard that Poudre Feed in Colorado has it for $4.75/lb. I haven't checked to verify but I may give them a call.
                        I have found that oats, rye, turnips and clover make a very good blend. I plant in early September and it has something green from October to July of the following year.
                        Just don't put too much oats and rye in the blend. They will crowd out any other seeds in the blend.
                        Hey Rockin'....I get my Durana from a local feed store but Home Depot has started carrying it. Its $40 for 5 pounds. Some of that is seed coat (inoculant) so you get about 3.5 pounds of actual clover seed....it will plant an acre.

I was gonna call Poudre Valley Coop and verify the price and shipping costs....but haven't yet.

I use a mix like that too and for me the radishes will dominate everything else so I will plant them light this year. Once I mowed the radishes down in the spring the oats and clover really take off.

I need to order my kale seed soon. I'm gonna plant it separate as a trial.
                        Last edited by unclefish; 07-28-2013, 07:57 PM.

Comment

THANKS for the update Steve!

Comment

Unclefish,
                            When do you plant the East Texas Fall Blend? What did you pay for it last year? I called but they said it would not be available until mid August and they would not give me price until it was available.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                              Yes I planted it along with some crimson and red clover and it completely out competed all the others. It was doing great until June when the cows ate it. Its really a perennial (up north) that acts like a reseeding annual so you do have to plant it every year. In wet summers I bet it would last year round....even down here.

There are some others I would like to try as well....the Whitetail Institute White clover is supposed to be good as well.

have you used any of the white institute or biologic stuff? i know its commercial but the guys i have seen that have planted have had great success, mostly in the midwest though. those companies have a huge budget to spend on research, they may not be all hype....

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' G Ranch View Post
                                Unclefish,
                                When do you plant the East Texas Fall Blend? What did you pay for it last year? I called but they said it would not be available until mid August and they would not give me price until it was available.
                                I don't actually plant a premixed blend anymore...I mix my own. I buy radishes from Welter's, clover and oats from a local feed store, and Elbon Rye from Producers Coop in Bryan.

I plant in mid sept around a rain....sometimes its right after labor day if a good one is coming.

I hope to add another half acre at least this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X