Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Where did you get the glycerin?
    I got Mine at Walmart, also sell at CVS and Walgreens. Can order in bulk online also. I used 4 bottles of this one...

Comment

Looks great. I did this a few years back just like you. The only thing is the skins turn yellow after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
        I got Mine at Walmart, also sell at CVS and Walgreens. Can order in bulk online also. I used 4 bottles of this one...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Humco-Gly...fl-oz/10417582
        thanks!

Comment

Looks good! Ive got 3-4 in the freezer i need to pull out and do this to.

Comment

How many skins does it take to make a pair of size 12 boots?

Comment

Nice!

Comment

I do my skins the same way. I use a scissors to cut down the belly to the butt hole. At that point I cut off the meat,leaving the skin and the narrow end with the rattles attached. Then take a razor blade and continue splitting the skin up to the rattles, get as close to the rattles as you can get. work slow and carefully, to skin out this small section of meat.
                Lay the skin out on a board, with the belly side up. The use a spoon to scrape the meat off. Most of the meat is just along the belly edge. Then what do different is. I buy 20 Mule Team Borax, you can find this in the grocery store in the cleaning supply section. I sprinkle this powder on small sections (5 or 6 inches) at a time. Then using a copper wire brush that looks like a tooth brush. Scrape the entire skin, this will remove any left over meat.
                I then wash the entire skin in water. Some say to wash it, using Woolite. I'v done it like this before, but couldn't tell any difference.
                After the washing I do just like James did , using the 50/50 glycerin and rubbing alcohol mix. Just let it soak for 5 to 7 days ( i'v left it in the solution for a month or two) won't hurt it. Just remember to give it a shake every now and then.
                I have then mounted them on boards and given them away, but must of the shins I have just draped over a board. After several years some started to dry out and started to get stiff. I just put them back in the solution for a few days, and they were like new again.
                I have found glycerin also at Hobby Lobby. I believe it is used to make soap. So look for it in this dept. At Wall Mart some times they keep it behind the drug counter. You might have to ask for it. I'm by no means an expert on doing these skins, just spend way too much time on You Tube.

Comment

Following.... planning on a hunt next spring in South Texas and would love to shoot a rattler! I would love to make it into a wallet or a rifle sling.

Comment

Those are some big snakes. Living in Michigan we don't have snakes that big or dangerous. When I get a section of rattle snake skin I use it on my wood arrows. I glue on a 3 or 4" section for the crest rather than paint, just below the feathers. I knap stone points and put them on my arrows so the snake skin is a nice touch to make the arrow look more primitive.

Comment

I got maybe a 100 or so skins to get done from the past few years. Hope to get this going after hunting season.

Comment

This is the best way I have found to do it also. You can even brush the glycerin on it after you have them mounted to keep them from drying out.

Comment

Looks Kewl, tagged for the finished product

Comment

Working...
                          X